Tarrant to cover for Steve Wright

Comments

• RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally liking it so far but he keeps repeating "online, on digital, & on 88-91fm radio 2 from the bbc" EVERY LINK and giving time-checks practically every link, sometimes twice in a link. Very annoying. His cheezy, commercial radio style sounds WELL out of place on Radio 2.

I feel that highlights the difference between presenters like Tarrant compared to my favourites on Radio 2 ....... Wogan, SK, KB, Radcliffe & Maconie & Alex Lester for example. Fantastic at engaging me, personally, without getting shouty & repeating the tagline every three minutes.
  • papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    If he tells me the date one more time, its over to Classic FM.
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Why does he sound so hyper and rude talking over his guest. He sounds weird.

Over to Wave 105 at 4.00!
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    It's Tarrant's first show! Give him a chance!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying listening to Mr Tarrant, and I'm an 18 year old regular Radio 1 listener.
  • DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FoxFanatic wrote: »
    I'm enjoying listening to Mr Tarrant

I never thought I would say this, but I am too!

The fader wanking over the last 30 seconds of Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby did annoy me though :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RAY VON wrote: »
    Generally liking it so far but he keeps repeating "online, on digital, & on 88-91fm radio 2 from the bbc" EVERY LINK and giving time-checks practically every link, sometimes twice in a link. Very annoying. His cheezy, commercial radio style sounds WELL out of place on Radio 2.

I think he's just very nervous getting used to a new desk and is doing what a lot of jocks do when they're terrified: lapsing into the style of which they have most experience. In his case, he appears to have gone back into "Capital Breakfast" mode!

That would explain the glut of timechecks, tagging London's weather onto the end of one link, constantly throwing forward to the next show, and even saying "this morning" after 4pm!

However, I can still hear his natural wit, warmth and enthusiasm coming through, and I think he'll be a good listen when he's had a few days to settle in.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    DJPT wrote: »
    I never thought I would say this, but I am too!

The fader wanking over the last 30 seconds of Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby did annoy me though :mad:

Don't you just love studio jargon:D
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    He needs time to settle in as it's his first real outing on live national radio.

Commercial Radio does have a habit of turning the mind to jelly when you've been presenting for years and the same taglines come up over and over......groundhog day! :rolleyes: getting out of the cycle must be tough.

I think Chris is doing well considering he's doing the whole lot on his own.
  • RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Buck wrote: »
    I think he's just very nervous getting used to a new desk and is doing what a lot of jocks do when they're terrified: lapsing into the style of which they have most experience. In his case, he appears to have gone back into "Capital Breakfast" mode!

That would explain the glut of timechecks, tagging London's weather onto the end of one link, constantly throwing forward to the next show, and even saying "this morning" after 4pm!

However, I can still hear his natural wit, warmth and enthusiasm coming through, and I think he'll be a good listen when he's had a few days to settle in.

Yeah i do agree with you there Steve. What you say makes sense to me regarding his nerves & going into the "mode" he's most familiar with, to begin with. :)
  • DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Don't you just love studio jargon:D

I couldn't think of a more subtle way of describing it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RAY VON wrote: »
    Yeah i do agree with you there Steve. What you say makes sense to me regarding his nerves & going into the "mode" he's most familiar with, to begin with. :)

Yeah, once they beat it out of him I'm sure he'll be really good. I'm sure he's still got plenty to offer as a broadcaster, if not in a daily role perhaps.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's his first Live 5 day show on National Radio 2. He's running the desk on his own which he said was totally different to Capital and Smooth radio, and needs time to get used to it. He's probarly so neverous and brillaint at talking to try to relieve that. I guess he would be good to have his own show, but where?
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    I guess he would be good to have his own show, but where?

Sundays 10.00am - 1.00pm.
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Buck wrote: »

Spot on Steve. Yes, I think it is a lapse into Capital Breakfast - but I remember being just as hyper myself on most new gigs and jabbering too much, as you're running on adrenalin. Then you settle down into a new format.
    He's very witty at times, and his conversations with listeners sound more worldly than some others... I found it an entertaining listen, though a little hyper and slightly hard work on just the first day. As someone who's never spend much time in London I'm finding that Tarrant has a natural talent for radio - great for Radio 2.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    It's his first Live 5 day show on National Radio 2. He's running the desk on his own which he said was totally different to Capital and Smooth radio, and needs time to get used to it.

Fair play to Mr T for doing that, instead of getting a B.A to drive it for him
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sundays 10.00am - 1.00pm.

Monday to Friday 5am to 7am you mean!;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who's never spend much time in London I'm finding that Tarrant has a natural talent for radio - great for Radio 2.

Definitely, Paul. I heard him maybe only twice on Capital so reserved judgement, but you can hear his natural aptitude for the medium coming through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think CT would want to just do a one off cover without any other work on Radio 2. I would expect he will pop up on a few shows to get him used to the station? I don't know where the station bosses could put him?

Today he's settled in nicely. Radio 2 is different to commercial radio
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing he's miles better than Graham Norton, and makes the show more lively than Dale Winton.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    He was quite rude about the oldies choice - so what if she wanted chirpy chirpy cheep cheep - he was laughing at her music choice....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    He was quite rude about the oldies choice - so what if she wanted chirpy chirpy cheep cheep - he was laughing at her music choice....

yes he was but only in a joking sort of way. he certainly made me chuckle with the comment. i like chris now hes played stairway to heaven. its an easy way to get into my good books lol
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this cover as much as Dale Winton.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a regular listener to Radio 2 (and occasional listerner to Capital in the old days) I am really enjoying Chris Tarrant covering for Steve Wright and hope there's a permanent slot for him.

Chris is hyper, that's his style.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much prefer him to Steve Wright, who I think sounds a bit dated.

Who cares if Tarrant slips into his old style as long as it sounds good. You might as well say that Steve Wright slips into his old Radio 1 Style.

It's only natural in the early stages anyway. I recall Simon Mayo doing it a bit even when he first started on Radio Five - and that was a switch from muisc to talk. He was less relaxed than he became and had all these gimmicky Radio 1 style features with alliterative titles. In fact I hated it so much that I almost complained for the first time ever. Given that I loved his show at the end, I'd have looked pretty stupid.

Give the guy a chance.