Options

Election news taking over programming!

xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
Forum Member
Eastenders was supposed to be on at at 7:30 on bbc 1 but the news about Gordon brown is taking over, i know its important news but most people have freeview so why dont they just put it on BBc news alone.

Comments

• Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Because "most" isn't "all" and as the BBC is paid by all people they have a duty to make sure "all" people know the news. and if "Most" people have Freeview they can catch EE on BBC3 later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad night for t.v. and politics tonight!:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    On what basis do you state that most people have freeview?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »
    Eastenders was supposed to be on at at 7:30 on bbc 1 but the news about Gordon brown is taking over, i know its important news but most people have freeview so why dont they just put it on BBc news alone.

you answered your own question 'Most' not all people have freeview so thats why they take over terrestrial programming.
  • Options
    The quizmasterThe quizmaster Posts: 93,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Weakest Link too
    ITV1, BBC1, Sky News, BBC News 24 are showing all of it.
    Boring
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Weakest Link too
    ITV1, BBC1, Sky News, BBC News 24 are showing all of it.
    Boring

Yes, because what's happening is completely irrelevant to our lives,unlike the weakest link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, you're the controller of BBC1.

We have a choice. History in the making, something we'll probably not see again in the next few decades and something massively important in all our lives.

Or

A popular TV show.

Simple really. Especially as ITV have kept to normal schedule this evening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Its beyond a joke that Eastenders has been delayed by nearly 1 hour so far - the BBC have a rolling 24 hour news channel for this kind of thing if people want to watch it :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a Tory voter, I expect you are glued to the telly at the moment. Unfortunately for me (or fortunately) I am not, so I am finding this very painful to watch!
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the BBC's flagship channel doing some public service broadcasting. Also expect big ratings for their coverage tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its beyond a joke that Eastenders has been delayed by nearly 1 hour so far - the BBC have a rolling 24 hour news channel for this kind of thing if people want to watch it :mad:

It's already been mentioned why it is on BBC1. Stop pissing moaning. You can get your completely fictional Eastenders another time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's an important event but do we really need to see the cars driving through London?? Be much better if they showed the important bits (ie - the speeches) at 9 without all the tedium and speculation from the on-site reporters
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    It's a load of hyperbolic nonsense, as usual from the outdated hallows of terrestrial TV. All we need to know are facts, once they have occurred and are clear, not to see interminable exterior/aerial shots of Buckingham Palace whilst boring commentators waffle on. In a day and age where we have more media than ever before for dissemination of information, the scheduling takeover is absurd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but not everybody has Freeview, or sky etc.. So as a channel paid for by the tv licence payer they have to show it on BBC Terrestrial
  • Options
    tfisher2010tfisher2010 Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    OP seems to have found more support than I did when I raised this point yesterday., http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1259245&highlight=

I agree 100% that this is a job for News 24. Perhaps a five minute newsflash on Beeb 1, but nothing else. However it seems the majority of people would rather let the BBC cancel programmes.

If Doctor who was cancelled, the complaints would come in quickly enough :rolleyes: .
  • Options
    pipkinpipkin Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its an historic event whatever your political persuasion, and its right that the BBC broadcasts it on its main channel, whats going on tonight affects every last one of us, Its not the end of the world that Eastenders is going to be on late.God help you in a few weeks when the World Cup starts :eek::D
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Sorry but this is now beyond a joke - there is nothing to see and we all know what is happening anyway. I am switching off and wont be back for the rest of the day. I hope they get panned in the ratings its what they deserve.
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »

I know its really annoying the BBC should have said after an hour for more coverage switch to the BBC News channel or they should have just put BBC1 Programming on BBC3
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP seems to have found more support than I did when I raised this point yesterday., http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1259245&highlight=

I agree 100% that this is a job for News 24. Perhaps a five minute newsflash on Beeb 1, but nothing else. However it seems the majority of people would rather let the BBC cancel programmes.

If Doctor who was cancelled, the complaints would come in quickly enough :rolleyes: .

Doctor Who is more important than Eastenders. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Agreed. And the people above who are convinced that the BBC has a moral duty to stick it on terrestria; - fine - how about BBC2?

Whenever WImbledon, Golf or other crap is on Beeb 1, EE and co get moved over to the other side. Why not tonight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nthorn wrote: »
    It's already been mentioned why it is on BBC1. Stop pissing moaning. You can get your completely fictional Eastenders another time!

Nice to see how much democratic respect us Brits still have for each other's thoughts and opinions. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Sorry but this is now beyond a joke - there is nothing to see and we all know what is happening anyway. I am switching off and wont be back for the rest of the day. I hope they get panned in the ratings its what they deserve.

I suspect they are waiting for Cameron to make a statement from No 10. Starting EastEnders would mean that it would likely get interrupted by this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    . I hope they get panned in the ratings its what they deserve.

I do too, but they won't. The Political stalwarts will be TV ringside with popcorn and candyfloss all night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are so shallow! It's only an entertainment programme. This is history in the making.

Not everyone has digital tv, my in laws on the south coast have to wait till 2012 for freeview.

I remember when diana died and news was on all day, I was only young and was so annoyed that the eastenders was cancelled. But I have grown up and understand the importance of news!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    cleocat wrote: »
    Some people are so shallow! It's only an entertainment programme. This is history in the making.

Not everyone has digital tv, my in laws on the south coast have to wait till 2012 for freeview.

I remember when diana died and news was on all day, I was only young and was so annoyed that the eastenders was cancelled. But I have grown up and understand the importance of news!

Can you have a word with my kids then, they're not happy Holby City has been cancelled:D