Options

How to deal with a mum experiencing a relapse?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
Forum Member
✭✭
It's been playing on my mind to get some opinions from someone else on a tricky situation.

My mum was diagnosed with bipolar effective disorder a few years back. The community mental health team in the area dealt with her pretty rapidly. She spent two weeks in a mental health unit and eventually they put her on medication to stablise her. It was a tough time but I tried to help her all the way and the medication seemed to work (despite the side effects of very heavy drowsiness and lack of emotions and the weight gain).

A few months before xmas they took her off her medication - Depikote, completely. It had been slowly reduced over a long period of time. She had a slight stumble around September time and since then she's shown signs of a relapse, along with gaining arthritus in her foot which pain killers, etc doesn't seem to ease entirely.

Its been months now and at first she went to see her GP who said she was fine. After more concern I contacted the CMHT again who sent a district nurse around. Although, she seems fine when she came around a few times and the symptoms occur randomly or out of their work hours. One minute she's hyper, then next she's in tears.

Due to missing her only appointment to see a doctor who deals with mental health due to the snow they seem to be booked up and only seeing emergency patients. It just seems like they don't have anyone there who can deal with it effectively. I know she's tried so hard to cope with it for a few months but surely its not healthy to be hysterical or in tears every day and getting angry with my dad every night. I keep phoning them to make some progress but I don't seem to be getting very far with it.

The most difficult thing is I'm not there anymore and its hard for me to visit because of the distance, college and work. I can only seem to phone her and that seems to calm her down. It's costing me a fortune but it works. She only gets angry with my dad who isn't doing anything really to upset her. But its the littlest things that bother her the most.

It pains me to say but he is cowardly to try and get the help for her. He doesn't want to hurt her and doesn't trust any medication or health professionals. But she isn't going to get better all by herself I don't think. Any suggestions on what to do? :(

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    There is a crisis team you could call for advice. I've never had to use them so I don't know how good they are.

I am bipolar also and I have the rapid cycling type so I shall be on my medication for life. If it were possible, and I realise distance may be an issue for you, you could go to see the GP with her and speak firmly, which your mum may not be able to do.

It's horrible for her to feel like this, and horrible for you to see her like this.

I hope someone comes along witth more specific help for you. xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you :) I'll have a google for a crisis team. She lives in south wales so hope they have one xx