Options

Windows 2000 upgrade

c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
Forum Member
Hi,

I have a computer that has Windows 2000, and I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade it to more updated windows package?

Comments

• Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    XP probably. It would depend on the hardware specification though.

Don't forget there are also various flavours of Linux that are geared towards older PCs, if your into that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    XP probably. It would depend on the hardware specification though.

Don't forget there are also various flavours of Linux that are geared towards older PCs, if your into that sort of thing.
    How do I get XP?
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See if you can buy an upgrade pack online.

But why would you put money into such an old computer? Put it towards a new one instead.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Home Editon
    Pro Edition

There are also quite a few copies floating on Amazon

You could probably pickup a cheaper copy from somewhere like fleabay but how legit it would turn out to be would be another matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Home Editon
    Pro Edition

There are also quite a few copies floating on Amazon

You could probably pickup a cheaper copy from somewhere like fleabay but how legit it would turn out to be would be another matter.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loobster wrote: »
    See if you can buy an upgrade pack online.

But why would you put money into such an old computer? Put it towards a new one instead.

Indeed I don't know what I am thinking.

But looking at the prices of Desktops in PC world I'm like thinking maybe I should continue with upgrading my computer?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything below 512GB don't.
    At 512MB I might now prefer a 2000lite DIY job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to upgrade a computer with Windows 2000 to Windows 7?
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt bother
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »

No, I don't think so
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother

So basically it is impossible.
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0bo wrote: »
    An "in-place upgrade" is not possible, only a clean install is do-able, and even then it depends on
    the overall spec of the machine. If it's really around ten years old, the system would need some
    major physical upgrades, including memory, hard drive, and very possibly even the CPU.

It more than likely wouldn't be worth it, as older components, such as SDRAM memory, and IDE
    hard drives of a decent capacity are becoming difficult, and fairly expensive to obtain. It would
    perhaps be better, and cheaper, in the long run, to scrap the machine and replace it.

BTW ... when I say scrap, I don't mean just chuck it in the wheelie bin, as that's actually illegal.
    You should take it to any reputable computer recycling firm who can deal with it appropriately.
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get one of these and Welcome to the 20th Century

P.s Most of us are in the 21st
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    An "in-place upgrade" is not possible, only a clean install is do-able, and even then it depends on
    the overall spec of the machine. If it's really around ten years old, the system would need some
    major physical upgrades, including memory, hard drive, and very possibly even the CPU.

It more than likely wouldn't be worth it, as older components, such as SDRAM memory, and IDE
    hard drives of a decent capacity are becoming difficult, and fairly expensive to obtain. It would
    perhaps be better, and cheaper, in the long run, to scrap the machine and replace it.

BTW ... when I say scrap, I don't mean just chuck it in the wheelie bin, as that's actually illegal.
    You should take it to any reputable computer recycling firm who can deal with it appropriately.

Thanks I will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Get one of these and Welcome to the 20th Century

P.s Most of us are in the 21st

ROFL :D
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »

Some charities or freecycle may take it. You local council tip or recycling place should take it. Whatever you do, make sure you wipe the hard drive first with a utility which securely wipes the hard drive such as this,

http://www.dban.org/