Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope not, or at least if it is that they fix it quickly.

Wife said her Lego Pirates game froze on her today, but only once so far, so maybe nothing.
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »

Wife said her Lego Pirates game froze on her today, but only once so far, so maybe nothing.

Ditto, its happened a couple of times always in the same place going through the left gate in the hub, it started to freeze the first time i played but i gave it a minute and it loaded no such luck in the past couple of days though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheep88 wrote: »
    Ditto, its happened a couple of times always in the same place going through the left gate in the hub, it started to freeze the first time i played but i gave it a minute and it loaded no such luck in the past couple of days though.

She says hers happened in the last level "fountain of youth" or something.
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She says hers happened in the last level "fountain of youth" or something.

Played that one with no problem, lets just hope its a glitch and not a problem with the PS3 update, i have had a glitch where a character turned into a barrel and i had to switch the system off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheep88 wrote: »
    Played that one with no problem, lets just hope its a glitch and not a problem with the PS3 update, i have had a glitch where a character turned into a barrel and i had to switch the system off

says she has had a couple of characters stuck.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    says she has had a couple of characters stuck.

Yeah Manc did too the other day. Character was stuck in the floor:D
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like isolated incidents to me. Chances are there's no difference before or after the update.

Day before update, 50 YLOD, 3 post about it saying they're gutted it finally failed.
    Day after update, 50 YLOD, 20 post about it blaming update SONY SCREWED MY CONSOLE UP etc. Cue repetition of isolated incident ("I've heard loads of people had it after the update"), got yourself a good ol' fashioned Sony-bashing.
  • frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/18/rockstar-claim-firmware-3-61-causes-ps3-overheating/

For crying out loud. NOW I'm getting annoyed. Rockstar have tested LA Noire with this too and have found that it's mostly old phat models, but it happens once updated to 3.61.

I must say, a tiny part of me is getting cheesed off and thinking of giving up to go elsewhere...a TINY part...which you can understand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont want to turn mine on now after reading this.
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update: looks like Rockstar might have jumped the gun a little – they’ve retracted (removed) the original post and replaced with it one that suggests Xbox 360 owners might be experiencing crashes too.

That said, a support operative in the comments does reiterate the publisher’s original sentiments. “The issues of PS3s overheating appears to be due to the latest Sony firmware update,” it says. “We recommend contacting Sony if your console is shutting off during play.”

Our guess? It’s the game itself, not the firmware. We’ll see tomorrow when hopefully this is all cleared up.

Sorry im too tired to type so ive blatently copied it from http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/18/rockstar-claim-firmware-3-61-causes-ps3-overheating/
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,719
    Forum Member
    My 250GB Slim has been working perfectly fine so far. I've put in about 12 hours of solid gaming in since the update.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm playing fallout new vegas and that's only having it's usual freezes. Not noticed the ps3 itself being any hotter than it used to get before the update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just BS started by R* which they have since removed.

Problem is their game as it's happening on 360 aswell.
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this happened before around this time of the year when Uncharted 2 was released, a processor hungry game been played during a time when Britain is getting warmer, those two factors are going to make your PS3 warm up, but it's the popular thing to "Just Blame Sony", it's like a real life version of Segagaga.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this happened before around this time of the year when Uncharted 2 was released, a processor hungry game been played during a time when Britain is getting warmer, those two factors are going to make your PS3 warm up, but it's the popular thing to "Just Blame Sony", it's like a real life version of Segagaga.

If your PS3 fan isn't upto the job its meant to perform, who else can you blame except Sony? :confused:
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my PS3 on for 17 days straight playing GT5 B-Spec when PSN was down with no overheating or any problems at all so I'm not going to let this worry me
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Dead Redemption lead to the death of my 60GB system last year, it was the only game to have major problems that made the game unplayable because of the amount of crashes and freezes.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-ps3-firmware-3-61-not-crashing-la-noire

Rockstar wouldn't be the first developer to blame their own inadequacies on the hardware.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption lead to the death of my 60GB system last year, it was the only game to have major problems that made the game unplayable because of the amount of crashes and freezes.

This only my opinion but personally i think if a developers game is responsible for someones games console dying then the developer should replace the console.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    This only my opinion but personally i think if a developers game is responsible for someones games console dying then the developer should replace the console.

I agree but you would have a hard time proving that for example Red dead redemption caused the PS3 to break. They would argue it was already breaking.
  • denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of on topic here, if during the summer months I was to place a tray of ice or a cool bag ice block close to the air vent would that work in keeping the playstation cooler? Obviusly being very careful so that there was no chance of water getting into or near the playstation.

The fans effectively draw in cool air and expel hot. Would there be a good 'sweet spot' to place and ice block to make this work more effectively?

I've always been surprised there isn't an air cooling add on to the PS3 that would assist in warm rooms. My PS3 is in a cabinet, but I always play with the door open and the PS3 twisted outwards so the airvent on the right hand side (as you look at it) is venting out into the room rather than agains the side of the cabinet and back into the PS3 again. What would be good is if there was an attachment with a tube you could place on the side that could be placed out of the window in order to have fresh air drawn in. Although I suppose this would only be of use to the UK and Northern Europe market where it isn't often hot and humid.

It's just a thought I have every now and then when the fans kick in (I have an original 60gb fat so the fans are very noisy!!) and I think how I could improve the ventilation to my console (taking it out of the cabinet is not an option before you scream that I should never have it in there in the first place).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I installed 3.61 on Tuesday evening then went to bed,on Wednesday afternoon 40 minutes into a game of "Army of 2" my Phat ps3 went in to standby and has not started since(flashing red light and 3 beeps) .Can't be mere coincidence.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »

I am not actually blaming RDR for my consoles dying as it had problems leading up to that, Assassins Creed 2 had giant spikes sticking out of people along with other graphical errors, other games did as well. RDR just crashed and froze the system a lot to the point of been unplayable. I exchanged it for Just Cause 2 which work fine, my system YLoD about 3months after playing RDR and shortly after a firmware update.

I knew my system was on the way out so didn't jump to the conclusion that it must have been the game or the firmware, RDR certainly seemed to be the game that pushed it over the edge though.
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the most lucky console owner ever, I've only had a Dreamcast go faulty on me since I started gaming, my first console was a Master System, the Dreamcast fault was fixable as well.

My 60gb PS3 shows no signs of breaking down and I've had no problems with my Xbox...
  • denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if maybe the majority of those having a YLOD after running the update have left their consoles dormant during the PSN downtime.

The first time they touch them for a month is when news of an update is out and the Playstation is switched on for the first time after 30 days where it is possible quite a bit of dust has built up (on top of what may have already been there in the first place if they are not prone to regularly vacuuming the air vents).

Could that be a contributing factor for some?

I play my PS3 for about for or five hours a week tops, dust it and vaccum the vents regularly, ensure ventilation is as good as it possibly can be (see my previous post a few up from this for a daft suggestion on that). and have never had an issue with my launch 60gb fat.