Options

Stabbing Burglars will be Legal

lozloz Posts: 4,720
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Says Ken Clarke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13957587
Justice Secretary Ken Clarke has said a householder who knifes a burglar will not have committed a criminal offence under plans to clarify the law on self-defence in England.

He told the BBC people were entitled to use "whatever force necessary" to protect themselves and their homes.

"It's quite obvious that people are entitled to use whatever force is necessary to protect themselves and their homes," Mr Clarke said.

We will make it quite clear you can hit the burglar with the poker if he's in the house and you have a perfect defence when you do so”

Asked about what this would mean in practice, he said: "If an old lady finds she's got an 18 year old burgling her house and she picks up a kitchen knife and sticks it in him she has not committed a criminal offence and we will make that clear."

He added: "We will make it quite clear you can hit the burglar with the poker if he's in the house and you have a perfect defence when you do so."

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Stabbing burglars is already legal if it's justified and you reasonably believe you need to do so to protect yourself or your family. And I bet nothing will change on that front.
  • Options
    CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This guy will be pleased.
  • Options
    KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noye was involved in laundering the proceeds of the Brink's-MAT robbery in 1983/4. While he was being investigated for his part in the robbery, he stabbed to death police officer John Fordham who was observing Noye from the grounds of his home. Noye was acquitted of murder on the grounds of self-defence, but was sentenced to 14 years in prison in 1986 for handling stolen gold. He was released from prison in 1994, having served 8 years of his sentence.

From Wikipedia.

Those in favour of this would agree with his acquittal?
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talky Tiki wrote: »
    Stabbing burglars is already legal if it's justified and you reasonably believe you need to do so to protect yourself or your family. And I bet nothing will change on that front.

Yes I thought that too. Is this just smokes and mirrors then?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sounds dangerous to me. What if a burglar takes the knife off the frail little old lady and stabs her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem is if burglars know that homeowners can take this cause of action without recourse, the burglars will just tool up more to protect themselves. Burgalries will become not just dangerous for your posessions but for you life as well.
  • Options
    Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A statement from Ken Clarke is a bit worrying, it usually means the complete opposite will apply.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A statement from Ken Clarke is a bit worrying, it usually means the complete opposite will apply.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why get into a life or death fight over your laptop? I would never chase a burglar if I found him leaving my pad with my laptop…just ring the police and claim it on insurance. Is the extra premium you may have to pay really worth risking your life for? Possessions are just that and can be replaced.
  • Options
    The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Kimmler wrote: »
    Noye was involved in laundering the proceeds of the Brink's-MAT robbery in 1983/4. While he was being investigated for his part in the robbery, he stabbed to death police officer John Fordham who was observing Noye from the grounds of his home. Noye was acquitted of murder on the grounds of self-defence, but was sentenced to 14 years in prison in 1986 for handling stolen gold. He was released from prison in 1994, having served 8 years of his sentence.

From Wikipedia.

Those in favour of this would agree with his acquittal?

I would. Fordham was dressed all in black with a balaclava on, for all Noye knew it was someone coming to try and do him in. I've no sympathy for Kenny Noye mind you, he robbed Stephen Cameron of his life at such a young age.
  • Options
    MrYogiKarmaMrYogiKarma Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds dangerous to me. What if a burglar takes the knife off the frail little old lady and stabs her?

They should give the old walking sticks with a high voltage taser on the end of it.
  • Options
    crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in other news: kicking a mugger in the balls will be legal, and plans are afoot to introduce laws to clarify the situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would. Fordham was dressed all in black with a balaclava on, for all Noye knew it was someone coming to try and do him in. I've no sympathy for Kenny Noye mind you, he robbed Stephen Cameron of his life at such a young age.

He also robbed a police officer of his and left a widow and kids to grow up without a father. The officer was unarmed and made clear to Noye who he was and offered no resistance to Noye. Clearly he did not need to stab him to death.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asked about what this would mean in practice, he said: "If an old lady finds she's got an 18 year old burgling her house and she picks up a kitchen knife and sticks it in him she has not committed a criminal offence and we will make that clear."

What if the old lady stabs the burglar in the back while he's leaving the property? Surely there must be a distinction between self defence and murder?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also robbed a police officer of his and left a widow and kids to grow up without a father. The officer was unarmed and made clear to Noye who he was and offered no resistance to Noye. Clearly he did not need to stab him to death.

Noye is an evil POS and knew exactly what he was doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh, I didn't know that:o In that case, I don't agree with his acquittal for that killing, but it's a moot point as the authorities have got Noye now, and they will never let him out because of what he did to Fordham and Cameron - and I'm glad he will be behind bars for the rest of his life. I still think householders should have more rights to defend themselves against burglars though.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My immediate reaction - Good. I don't care if burglars are stabbed. After all, they don't have to be a burglar.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    My immediate reaction - Good. I don't care if burglars are stabbed. After all, they don't have to be a burglar.
    And indeed they might not be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »

What's this supposed to mean? Anyone who breaks into someone elses house is not going there for a cuppa and a chat about Corrie, are they?
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The full details of what he says reads like it will be okay to use reasonable force in the circumstances.

People can stab, shoot, and kick criminals now if circumstances warrant it, and I cant see Clarke coming up with a definition to improve what is already in place. They will cause mayhem if they try, because a firm definition will restrict the option of treating each case on merit.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    The only problem is if burglars know that homeowners can take this cause of action without recourse, the burglars will just tool up more to protect themselves. Burgalries will become not just dangerous for your posessions but for you life as well.

Totally agree with you there, that was my initial thought after Cameron's little speech last week.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. I doubt most burglars want to come across householders, so the best course of action is to stay where you are if people suspect someone is in their home. I'm always amazed when people go to confront a burglar.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The full details of what he says reads like it will be okay to use reasonable force in the circumstances.

People can stab, shoot, and kick criminals now if circumstances warrant it, and I cant see Clarke coming up with a definition to improve what is already in place. They will cause mayhem if they try, because a firm definition will restrict the option of treating each case on merit.

I very much doubt that people will suddenly be allowed to stab a burglar 50 times in the back or chase him down the path and then stab him in the back of the head. It does sound no different to what is already in place.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

Okay, you got me on that one. :D I should have added .... They could always make the choice to be a decent law-abiding citizen.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's this supposed to mean? Anyone who breaks into someone elses house is not going there for a cuppa and a chat about Corrie, are they?
    They can argue about that on the way to the hospital. We don't know this hypothetical person has broken into the house where they were stabbed. They could have walked through an open door by mistake, they could be paramedics answering a 999 call. Trespass isn't a crime automatically punishable with life threatening injury, and the punishment should fit the crime.

That's what it's supposed to mean.

(PS InB4tealady) :D