Options

"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At? (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Or do a remake of Para Handy filmed in a swimming pool in Glasgow.

LOL :o:D by chance does this involve him being drunk??
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things I would like to see come back on to the screens of STV

* Scottish Action
    * The hour/art sutter/ a proper decent one hour show from Scotland.

Will we ever get either back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    Two things I would like to see come back on to the screens of STV

* Scottish Action
    * The hour/art sutter/ a proper decent one hour show from Scotland.

Will we ever get either back?

You can forget "the hour" - they already repeat on the god awful "nightshift" each night!, if you want a scottish show - then make it have various presenters ie share the show one day come from Clyde, the next from Aberdeen - not just come from Clyde and use "reporters" of North to go ask questions. Also can they make a half decent set that does not look like something bought of "the barrowlands" would be greatful :D

As for Scottish Action - no idea, but why not STV revive a Grampian TV show for a change than always be one of their "own" ie why not have "pick a number" back and have High Schools of Scotland competing? But again that will be swept under the carpet as priority is and always will be Glasgow orientated!

If you got "the hour" back actually hire half decent presenters and deal with real topics - the show ended up as far as I remember was have a guest but ended up being all about the presenters!
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about they revive that regional ratings juggernaut Top Club hosted by the unremarkable Frank Gilfeather, a man so bland he could challenge john major for the title of grey man ,a show so boring it made Yorkshire TV's Indoor League with Fred Trueman look fast paced and exciting.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about they revive that regional ratings juggernaut Top Club hosted by the unremarkable Frank Gilfeather, a man so bland he could challenge john major for the title of grey man ,a show so boring it made Yorkshire TV's Indoor League with Fred Trueman look fast paced and exciting.

It may have been dull but at least it was local dullness rather than the weegie imposed crap we get these days.
  • Options
    jwire1977jwire1977 Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    STV's the kind of tv station you'd get in a cracker - cheap, tacky and instantly forgettable - and always seemed better when you were younger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwire1977 wrote: »
    STV's the kind of tv station you'd get in a cracker - cheap, tacky and instantly forgettable - and always seemed better when you were younger.

I'll give a point on that one (as I felt that way with Grampian Television)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    It may have been dull but at least it was local dullness rather than the weegie imposed crap we get these days.

People do tend to forget of course that Scotland just like England we all have different accents and we all in Scotland are not by "default" Glasweigan but of course - people think automatically we are!
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwire1977 wrote: »
    The same could be said for itv since granada took over running the network. Cheap tacky programmes. STV are just doing what their licence tells them to do and that is to fulfil the psb obligations. And that is something that itv are itching to jettison but cant due to them losing the right to occupy 103
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    You can forget "the hour" - they already repeat on the god awful "nightshift" each night!, if you want a scottish show - then make it have various presenters ie share the show one day come from Clyde, the next from Aberdeen - not just come from Clyde and use "reporters" of North to go ask questions. Also can they make a half decent set that does not look like something bought of "the barrowlands" would be greatful :D

As for Scottish Action - no idea, but why not STV revive a Grampian TV show for a change than always be one of their "own" ie why not have "pick a number" back and have High Schools of Scotland competing? But again that will be swept under the carpet as priority is and always will be Glasgow orientated!

If you got "the hour" back actually hire half decent presenters and deal with real topics - the show ended up as far as I remember was have a guest but ended up being all about the presenters!

I agree with what you said about not just come from the Clyde studios. They could use Aberdeen once in a while. At one time I would have said use the studios in Edinburgh for a change but they closed the big studio at Leith Walk and moved to smaller ones that they now call the STV Edinburgh news room.
    85% of everything on TV and radio in Scotland seems to come from Glasgow.
    Lest the BBC in England are starting to have the right idea and not just make TV programmes or broadcast from London and are starting to use other parts of England/wales.
    I know it will not happen but I would bring back some of the STV of the 90s. just before STV tane over Grampian TV.
    I do like the STV news at six coming from Edinburgh and the news coming from Aberdeen with some local opt for news for the Dundee area that Aberdeen news at six is good.
    I did watch The Hour at times but I don't think it will be coming back.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I agree with what you said about not just come from the Clyde studios. They could use Aberdeen once in a while. At one time I would have said use the studios in Edinburgh for a change but they closed the big studio at Leith Walk and moved to smaller ones that they now call the STV Edinburgh news room.
    85% of everything on TV and radio in Scotland seems to come from Glasgow.
    Lest the BBC in England are starting to have the right idea and not just make TV programmes or broadcast from London and are starting to use other parts of England/wales.
    I know it will not happen but I would bring back some of the STV of the 90s. just before STV tane over Grampian TV.
    I do like the STV news at six coming from Edinburgh and the news coming from Aberdeen with some local opt for news for the Dundee area that Aberdeen news at six is good.
    I did watch The Hour at times but I don't think it will be coming back.

Darren

Regarding my news at six I hate the "split" I want it back in the main bulletin as most of the time the reports leave me more confused than anything, at times when the STV newsreader announces us it does come across as if we live on another planet - so I want this reverted back, plus the situation does not help if you have Sky and you end up seeing the Aberdeen bulletin in split (oh yeah on +1 you get the Aberdeen bulletin not the Dundee bulletin - there is more issues that need resolved and in my opinion all under one main bulletin)

STV should have more programming coming outwith Glasgow ie make programming with various scottish accents - look at the Scotland Tonight "election" nights - its in Aberdeen but all the presenters were in Glasgow! Sorry but that to me is out of touch but I presume they done their research but defeats whole purpose of us existing in North as we have no voice on STV and its programming - us in the North East of Scotland and further up north ie Inverness have less say in anything and as been mentioned by default we are all "weegies" - so much for diversity then?

The Hour will never come back remember they tried at 8pm, less than 4 weeks on it was pulled (obviously ratings bombed completely)

As for output on Radio and TV - your right there as I am well aware of Tay FM/AM output now comes from the Clyde possibly some shows are still local? I don't know as I don't listen to it, but I listen to Wave 102/Heat and just started listening to LBC oddly :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    The same could be said for itv since granada took over running the network. Cheap tacky programmes. STV are just doing what their licence tells them to do and that is to fulfil the psb obligations. And that is something that itv are itching to jettison but cant due to them losing the right to occupy 103

I don't normally agree with you but yes ITV are just about the same but on the other side of the argument I see them making more drama output - where is the competition from STV or STV making dramas for the ITV network? The last one I am only aware of was Fast Freddie that STV said they made but other than that nothing since! (lets also remember that ITV possibly sell their programming to other UK channels or worldwide too but what can STV sell to the UK/Worldwide recently? - nothing)

For a channel that seems to be making "local" apps for its news coverage and areas, but yet are when they make programming now its all cheap - I don't see STV taking risks on programming its like the image I get is "save up for a rainy day" but happy to give money away to shareholders for its crap output!

Yet ITV can make crap, yet produce at least some decent dramas (programming such as Take Me Out I think brings down the channel - I only watch ITV for exactly that drama STV - I can barely watch its programming it comes across more amateurish, yet back in the day I could watch it endless (under Grampian))
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Tonight STV played a trailer for Big Star's Little Star, during Big Star's Little Star :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problems set in around 1996 when Grampian was brought out. I personnel believe it was over paid which caused some of the troubles.

I agree STV has crap, ITV has crap. as I've said STV would be better off showing smaller amount of programmes like Scottish Action or a chat show etc along with special programmes for Big events like Royal highland show etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Tonight STV played a trailer for Big Star's Little Star, during Big Star's Little Star :)

LOL .... Gremlins to blame there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problems set in around 1996 when Grampian was brought out. I personnel believe it was over paid which caused some of the troubles.

I agree STV has crap, ITV has crap. as I've said STV would be better off showing smaller amount of programmes like Scottish Action or a chat show etc along with special programmes for Big events like Royal highland show etc

Maybe hire half decent presenters for shows too than roll out the same old red carpet .... a la Dame MEchelle McManus .... Dame Lorriane Kelly ..... SIr John McKay and finally SIr Fred Macaulay .... I presume STV is short on talent as well??

I wouldn't mind if STV had difference in programming catering to each area than shoving everyone under one - I assumed when the merge happened nothing was "going to change" as they said - look what happens, but yet programming now is more "regional" (but Local if you stay in Glasgow) but if you live outwith what is "local" to us other than news??

Wiki says buyout was 1997 not 96 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grampian_Television
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back then STV made programmes in Edinburgh aswell, but that will went out the window aswell.

Around this time was also when Gus Mcdonald left the company, I think this is when the rot set in. 4 years later Sandy Ross left, which just caused alot of damage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back then STV made programmes in Edinburgh aswell, but that will went out the window aswell.

Around this time was also when Gus Mcdonald left the company, I think this is when the rot set in. 4 years later Sandy Ross left, which just caused alot of damage.

Don't get me wrong I was familar with some of STV's shows appearing on Grampian TV (I presumed they shared programming), but now I just feel Grampian's own history has been quietly wiped - use Nightshift as an example as far as I have seen its all STV programming thats appeared and if the "revivals" are true, where do we exactly stand? (they only do a 50th celebration last year or year before, but will we still be speaking about Grampian TV obviously not but its focus will be more towards Glasgow in near future....)
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic book 'This is Scotland - the first fifty years of scottish television' by Jeff Holmes is a great book looking back into stv's heyday and reminds you of what a shadow of its former self it has become.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »

More to the point what were you doing watching **** like that?:D
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it would be good to see them doing programmes/highlights of festivals & events throughout Scotland - Royal Highland Show is a good example - others might include (depending who else might cover them) Wickerman Festival, Rockness, Pipe Band Championships (think BBC do that), Edinburgh Film Festival (again may be BBC), countless other events and sporting events/tournaments - smaller scale, not big tournies covered by the BBC/Sky etc..

Currently we have an amateurish quiz (fillmed in Dublin) that is not being shown on the network, Catchphrase which to be fair is (but filmed in London) , umpteen charity and people awards (again, fair enough - but usually shoddy, amateurish and never networked) , and garbage aired primetime telling us how to scrimp/save money by recycling etc.. Let's not forget the returned Scottish Passport (why??? :confused: ) and (passable at times) Scotland Tonight (but reduced to being ridiculed at by the media/public for their infamous political bunfights) . And Nightshift - possibly the worst block of programming ever shown on our screens - it's ATROCIOUS - dated clips from the 1980s with (long forgotten) z list celebrities - they have a cheek :blush: asking for money to text in to this rubbish. >:(

Overall then, hardly anything to get excited about - said it before and like others have said too - a shadow of it's former self. Pretty sad really. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking ahead to the STV OPT OUTs:-

Wonder if The Beatles Salute (Fri. 2nd) will be out of sync with ITV and show up on STV the following week - or never?! And shock horror - Cornwall runs 2 weeks in a row! (Sunday morning)...

THUR. 24TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/NIghtscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

FRI. 25TH:-
    ANIMAL 999 (3 of 6) 8pm STV, Weekend Escapes on ITV.
    WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE SUPREMACY, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Film - Bourne Ultimatum/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen on ITV.

SAT. 26TH:-
    NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Gambling/Dinner Date Australia on ITV.

SUN. 27TH:-
    CORNWALL WITH CAROLINE QUENTIN, ANIMAL 999 (rpt) am on STV, Dickinson's Real Deal on ITV.
    WOMEN BEHIND BARS, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, The Store/Motorsport/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

MON. 28TH:-
    THE LIE :blush: primetime STV, Gino's Italian Escape on ITV.
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, RIVER MONSTERS, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Film - Smokin' Aces/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

TUE. 29TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Ray Mears/Gambling/Loose Women/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

WED. 30TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, CROCODILE HUNTER DIARIES, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Pier Morgan/Gambling/Motorsport/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

THUR. 1ST:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

FRI. 2ND:-
    ANIMAL 999 primetime STV, Weekend Escapes on ITV.
    WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE ULTIMATUM, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Beatles Grammy Salute (not relevant to Scotland? :p) - (NEW)/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Looking ahead to the STV OPT OUTs:-

Wonder if The Beatles Salute (Fri. 2nd) will be out of sync with ITV and show up on STV the following week - or never?! And shock horror - Cornwall runs 2 weeks in a row! (Sunday morning)...

THUR. 24TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/NIghtscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

FRI. 25TH:-
    ANIMAL 999 (3 of 6) 8pm STV, Weekend Escapes on ITV.
    WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE SUPREMACY, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Film - Bourne Ultimatum/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen on ITV.

SAT. 26TH:-

SUN. 27TH:-
    CORNWALL WITH CAROLINE QUENTIN, ANIMAL 999 (rpt) am on STV, Dickinson's Real Deal on ITV.
    WOMEN BEHIND BARS, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, The Store/Motorsport/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

MON. 28TH:-
    THE LIE :blush: primetime STV, Gino's Italian Escape on ITV.
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, RIVER MONSTERS, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Film - Smokin' Aces/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Ray Mears/Gambling/Loose Women/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

SCOTLAND TONIGHT, CROCODILE HUNTER DIARIES, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Pier Morgan/Gambling/Motorsport/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE ULTIMATUM, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Beatles Grammy Salute (not relevant to Scotland? :p) - (NEW)/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA on ITV.

STV are actually getting through "cornwall" its a christmas miracle! :confused:, I see STV play catchup on the "bourne" trilogy, as STV shows I think its the 2nd one as ITV show the 3rd one? Following Friday STV show the 3rd one? :o, seems like STV at night really can't be half assed in showing films other than be a "week later", I see within 2 days STV are already repeating Animal 999, I guess its not pulling the viewers? Hoping the repeat will get the viewers?

STV possibly don't know who "the beatles" were, but they'll plug in one of their own obviously! :o.....We pay tribute to "wet wet wet" but we binned the gig afterwards .... sorry! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STV OPT OUTs for the week ahead:-

NO sign of that Beatles concert special on STV - will it ever be screened? >:( :confused: But CORNWALL appears for the 3rd week running! :p

WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE ULTIMATUM, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Beatles Grammy Salute (not relevant to Scotland? ) - (NEW)/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA on ITV.

SAT. 3RD:-

SUN. 4TH:-
    CORNWALL (!!), ANIMAL 999 a.m. on STV, May The Best House Win on ITV.
    INSIDE DEATH ROW, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Rugby Union/The Store/Motorsport/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

MON. 5TH:-
    THE LIE primetime STV, Gino's Italian Escape on ITV.
    PIERS MORGAN, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Joanna Lumley/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

TUE. 6TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, SCOTTISH PASSPORT HIGHLIGHTS (>:(), NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Cube/Gambling/Loose Women/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

WED. 7TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, JOANNA LUMLEY, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Film - The Boat That Rocked/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

THUR. 8TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

FRI. 9TH:-
    WEEKEND ESCAPES, THE CUBE, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Film - Goldeneye/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    STV OPT OUTs for the week ahead:-

NO sign of that Beatles concert special on STV - will it ever be screened? >:( :confused: But CORNWALL appears for the 3rd week running! :p

WEEKEND ESCAPES, FILM - BOURNE ULTIMATUM, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Beatles Grammy Salute (not relevant to Scotland? ) - (NEW)/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA on ITV.

SAT. 3RD:-

SUN. 4TH:-
    CORNWALL (!!), ANIMAL 999 a.m. on STV, May The Best House Win on ITV.
    INSIDE DEATH ROW, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Rugby Union/The Store/Motorsport/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

MON. 5TH:-
    THE LIE primetime STV, Gino's Italian Escape on ITV.
    PIERS MORGAN, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Joanna Lumley/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

TUE. 6TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, SCOTTISH PASSPORT HIGHLIGHTS (>:(), NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Cube/Gambling/Loose Women/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

WED. 7TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, JOANNA LUMLEY, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Film - The Boat That Rocked/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

THUR. 8TH:-
    SCOTLAND TONIGHT, NIGHTSHIFT, NIGHTSCREEN on STV, Harbour Lives/Gambling/Tonight/Nightscreen/Jeremy Kyle on ITV.

FRI. 9TH:-
    WEEKEND ESCAPES, THE CUBE, NIGHTSHIFT on STV, Film - Goldeneye/Gambling/Jeremy Kyle USA on ITV.

Oh they getting through "Cornwall" now lets give them a clap (being sarcastic and not at you), why does STV feel the need we need "highlights" of Scottish Passport and oh look ITV does no "shorts" on its main channel, how odd is that? Why does STV just not invest in buying "the hot desk" from ITV2 instead?

FILMS: is that all the STV viewer is getting ONE film a WEEK??, really STV is that all you can do during the week? Yet there is still some programming STILL missing! Scrap the Nightshift, get your fingers out and do at least something during the early hours than repeat repeated dated clips on your dire show

As regarding Beatles I checked on their site into Thursday and no sign of programme (how surprising is that? - guess you could say its got lost in transition)