Options

Acoustic or Digital Piano

Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would you say it really matters for learning?

I've had a play at some digital pianos and some acoustic ones. I prefered the sound from the acoustic, and generally the feel of an acoustic one. But there are advantages of the digital pianos, primarily the headphones so I don't have to disturb anyone with my struggles.

One of the people I talked to (who owns a piano shop) said that a piano tutor wants you to have an acoustic especially if you're considering doing exams (which really depends if they thought I was good enough). He also said since I've played the keyboard and want to develop into the piano why would I want what is essentially a bigger keyboard, which I get, but they're not the same.

Anyway I wanted really first hand experience from as much people as possible, my friends have 'real' pianos so I don't know anyone with a digital. Does anyone only have a digital? Or learned on an acoustic and prefer a digital?

Price isn't really an issue since I've seen a lot around the £1500 mark in both that I've quite liked.

Comments

• Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Digital piano is fine (especially) for learning. Just make sure it has good quality weighted keys to replicate the feel of an acoustic.

Wouldn't make any difference to exams, its still a piano.

An acoustic will always sound and feel better but good digitals have the advantage of headphones, never needing tuning and being more resistant to atmosphere/temperature extremes. They also need less space.

Modern digitals also have good sampled sounds from different pianos giving more choice in playing.

If I was actually any good I would like a nice acoustic but my digital is fine for me and a lot less hassle. :)
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Digital piano is fine (especially) for learning. Just make sure it has good quality weighted keys to replicate the feel of an acoustic.

An acoustic will always sound and feel better but good digitals have the advantage of headphones, never needing tuning and being more resistant to atmosphere/temperature extremes. They also need less space.

Modern digitals also have good sampled sounds from different pianos giving more choice in playing.

If I was actually any good I would like a nice acoustic but my digital is fine for me and a lot less hassle. :)

Thanks, I was planning to go into one of the music shops tomorrow so I'll have additional play and ask more about both. Then maybe wait a few months to decide. I was worried about the temperature especially coming into Winter and the heating will be on longer.

In the mean time I'll keep an eye on tutors and prices.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would always go with an acoustic. EVERY time.

Each to their own I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked into this recently as there was a HUGE difference in price. I would go for a digital one personally. They are amazingly accurate soundwise. If you are learning ask a piano teacher for advice on the best keyboard span as some can be a bit too short.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    I would always go with an acoustic. EVERY time.

Each to their own I guess.

Indeed. Some people deal in absolutes, others post more balanced and reasoned responses. ;)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no point spending out on an accoustic until you have reach a certain standard of playing and are serious about taking it further.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital piano is fine (especially) for learning. Just make sure it has good quality weighted keys to replicate the feel of an acoustic. :)

A very important point. You need the weight to build up the muscle strength in your wrist and fingers if you ever want to play an acoustic for any length of time.

I took an easy option and switched to digital - now, I've lost the strength in my wrist & fingers to go back to an acoustic one for any more than 15 minutes or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Some people deal in absolutes, others post more balanced and reasoned responses. ;)

I'm a very absolute person :p

I know what I like and tell it like it is :eek:
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital is fine - they're tons better than they used to be & I sometimes wonder if people who are dismissive of them have actually tried a good one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital is fine - they're tons better than they used to be & I sometimes wonder if people who are dismissive of them have actually tried a good one.

I dismiss them and I've never played one full stop.

In my mind, if you're going to play the "piano" - then buy a piano.

If you want to play a keyboard, buy a keyboard.

I accept I'm stubborn:(
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious question is, if you've never played one how do you know what they're like?

But a more important point in the context of this thread is that there's a world of difference between a keyboard and a digital piano (the clue is in what they're called!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I play an acoustic piano - a proper real piano.

No matter how good these digital things claim to be, they cannot possibly beat the real thing.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    Go for a digital one - it's cheaper, lighter and easier to move, and it never needs tuning - running costs of acoustic pianos is quite high.

I was offered three or four acoustic pianos for free (for my daughter), but as it had to go upstairs they weren't an option. The digital piano I bought (Yamaha) wasn't terribly light, but at least it went upstairs in pieces, and could be assembled up there.