Options

EE-Lou Beale still alive!!

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone heard the radio ad with the teenager talking to his grannie about sniffing coke (the drug not the the drink)?
The actress paying the old dear is Anna Wing...the great Lou Beale.
Hard to believe that its 23 years ago since Lou died. Julia Smith intended Anna Wing to be in the show until she popped her clogs but Anna thought otherwise and quit. Strange to think she could still be there, outliving nearly all her family and other cast members.

Comments

• Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Apparently she's 96!
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that had Anna stayed abit longer then the Beale's would be very different today. Obviously in hindsight no one knew she would still be going strong 25 years later but it does go to show that killing off certain characters should only happen if they are certain that they will never return.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    I think that had Anna stayed abit longer then the Beale's would be very different today. Obviously in hindsight no one knew she would still be going strong 25 years later but it does go to show that killing off certain characters should only happen if they are certain that they will never return.

Completely agree. Eastenders would benefit hugely from having a few old faces back. As far as I know most of the original cast members are still alive in real life. I'd absolutely love to have Pete Beale and Arthur Fowler back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My partners works in town and she goes out to lunch with a group of her friends everyday and seems to really enjoy it! He said she is very sweet!
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    Completely agree. Eastenders would benefit hugely from having a few old faces back. As far as I know most of the original cast members are still alive in real life. I'd absolutely love to have Pete Beale and Arthur Fowler back.

yeh I liked all the original characters really. I wish Mary or the Osmans came back or Dr Legg.

I do wonder if those that chose to leave regret their decison (like Bill Treacher).
  • Options
    MatthewroxMatthewrox Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    She is 97 and holding it together
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    She's 97 on Sunday! Apparantely she quit EE cos she was unhappy with the direction it was going but has since reflected that it might not have been the right decision!

And off topic, but I didn't know that Jim Branning first appeared in 1996 along with Derek!
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna Wing herself decided to leave. Not liking the direction the show was taking

She has since stated she regrets leaving

Big up to her tho, hope she makes the century
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol Sunny. I didn't see your post where you said exactly the same as me

Sorry
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Lol Sunny. I didn't see your post where you said exactly the same as me

Sorry

That's alright lol, I only got my info from wiki anyway, didn't know if it was right lol :p
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked with Anna Wing a few years ago and she's a lovely lady.

Whilst she didn't regret leaving, she did regret the decision to kill off Lou Beale. She would have preferred it if Lou had retired to Clacton (or somewhere) and she could have made the occasional re-appearance from time-to-time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her death episodes and its aftermath were a masterclass though, and brought out the sole decent acting performance of Peter Dean
  • Options
    Yellow DragonYellow Dragon Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I remember Anna saying on TV that she often wondered if leaving was the right decision. I think because Anita, Leslie and a few others quit she rushed into leaving as well. It would have been great having her back and fourth for every big Beale/Fowler event not to mention every Christmas. So its a big shame they door wasn't left open.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it would have worked, someone like Lou had to be present all the time, or not at all. It was the right thing for her to die.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they should have left the door open like they did with ethel, ethel pretty much kept leaving and coming back as she pleased so why not lou? in the american soaps they have many characters who come to visit every now and again, this is something british soaps fail to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel had no family ties, no necessity to stay put
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish she was still in EE but it was the right decision to kill Lou off. She wouldn't have left her family and it wouldn't have worked with her coming and going because she was too much of a central character. I often wonder how the show would have turned out if she'd never left along with Den and Angie in 1988/1989.
  • Options
    EastEnderzEastEnderz Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    What's a grannie?
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved nearly all the original characters (though Legg was a bit of a lump, chirpy Pete Beale an annoying pratt) and it was sad to see them leave, but thought Lou's departure was probably the worst of all. It really took something out of the Beale-Fowler family dynamic and that couldn't really ever be replaced.

Lou was in the show just three years. I always thought they could / should have done more to keep Anna Wing in the show longer.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she had stayed, it would have been good to see Dot and Lou sparring for the past 23 years
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    What is the point of this thread? The title says that "Lou Beale still alive" but then it immediately contradicts itself by stating (accurately) in the first comment that Lou Beale died 23 years ago.

Why pretend that she is still alive?

If the person who started the thread meant to say that Anna Wing is still alive, why start a thread about it to tell us? The same logic would require seven billion threads to tell us that everybody in the world is still alive - one for each person still living.

I just don't understand it. :confused:
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK soaps take themselves too seriously. Had EE been an American or Aussie soap then Anna would have returned as Lou's sister Flo.

Stranger things have happened!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    UK soaps take themselves too seriously. Had EE been an American or Aussie soap then Anna would have returned as Lou's sister Flo.

Stranger things have happened!

Thank God EE isn't an American or Aussie soap.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall a year or two ago that Dot was going to remember Lou saying something in one episode, which would be newly recorded by the actress. Did this happen? It was obviously a very small thing so I can't remember.