Snow watch 2012/2013

shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
Forum Member
✭✭
Well SOMEONE had to start it!!!!
Had a flurry in Eastbourne of HUGE flakes, but not laying:)

Comments

• imogenkateimogenkate Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snow here in surrey.just a light covering, but enough to make traffic bad this morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a beautiful sunny day here in the Midlands :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snow in Kent, but its melted now.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blizzards here. Snow from the weekend turned to inches of ice. Now a fresh coating of snow to top up
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time for the debate again - " Were the authorities caught out with the snow in the South East and London this morning"?
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    around 3 inches here in central highlands and its frozen solid. last 5 nights have averaged -7.3 C on the grass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long range weather forecast is very cold / ice in the South and possible rain. Not snow like we did this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imogenkate wrote: »
    snow here in surrey.just a light covering, but enough to make traffic bad this morning.

Bad in Sussex with the traffic, but all melted now.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Snow in Northumberland. Had big, fluffy flakes until a few minutes ago. Tailing off now though but it's lying.

Spoke too soon - it's coming down heavy again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snowed during the night here in Luton :)
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has all missed us in Norfolk unfortunately. There is a chance of some around the coast later, and I would go in search of it if only I knew where exactly to go! They keep changing their minds as to where it is going to be! :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently this light dusting has resulted in forty five accidents, plane delays, runways being shut, and fifty school closures.

Why is our country such a failure at coping with snow? It's not even snow, it's a bit of white dust on the roads!
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's some snow about here in Glasgow, but I don't thnk it's recent, and if anything it's quite mild imo.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a very, very light dusting in Brackley (South Midlands) this morning. I hope that's the worst we see this winter :)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EIwood wrote: »
    Apparently this light dusting has resulted in forty five accidents, plane delays, runways being shut, and fifty school closures.

Why is our country such a failure at coping with snow? It's not even snow, it's a bit of white dust on the roads!

I can understand the car accidents a little as the gritters (in rural Suffolk anyway) haven't come out to play yet, and the roads are quite slippery in places. BUT, i dont understand the plans and school closures. Its madness. Normally its the school boilers that are on the blink, but surely they have had the heating on before today :confused:
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    Snow in Newcastle, fully settled and coming down fast. :D
  • imogenkateimogenkate Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I can understand the car accidents a little as the gritters (in rural Suffolk anyway) haven't come out to play yet, and the roads are quite slippery in places. BUT, i dont understand the plans and school closures. Its madness. Normally its the school boilers that are on the blink, but surely they have had the heating on before today :confused:

nearly every single time there is snow my daughters school shuts due to the boiler.
    whats wrong with them wearing their coats in class?
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member

And to think some people love winter. Roll on springtime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

most likely down to the increased number of cars with low-profile tyres. Used to be more 'sensible' cars on the roads, now theyre full of Audi A3s etc.

I drive an A3 and its the worst car I've ever had for driving in snow. I was on here last year asking if anyone knew why and apparently its all in the tyres :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    most likely down to the increased number of cars with low-profile tyres. Used to be more 'sensible' cars on the roads, now theyre full of Audi A3s etc.

I drive an A3 and its the worst car I've ever had for driving in snow. I was on here last year asking if anyone knew why and apparently its all in the tyres :cool:

So get new tyres? Just because they're low profile, doesn't mean you can't get a set with a better tread.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zone 1 in London is completely white. Traffic's come to a standstill. I got rather annoyed I walked in as probably could have missed work.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Had about 5 inches of snow in Sweden this week so far, roads are all fine as we use proper salt and have decent winter tyres (studded). :)
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had about 5 inches of snow in Sweden this week so far, roads are all fine as we use proper salt and have decent winter tyres (studded). :)

As would the UK is we had your climate. if Sweden had the UK's climate you would be as bad as we are. ;)
  • diamondpincediamondpince Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Zone 1 in London is completely white. Traffic's come to a standstill. I got rather annoyed I walked in as probably could have missed work.
    I pray to god that it won't snow where I am! :(
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »

There are live TV interviews being done on College Green at Westminster and I see no sign of any snow there at all.