Dropped Nexus 7 - touch screen not working

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I couldn't see a specific one for this only general threads.

My Nexus 7 fell out of my bag tonight, and now the touch screen doesn't work...

Does anyone know if this is covered under warrenty (I'm assuming not) or if there is a way to fix it without it costing a fortune, Just hoping I don't have to pay a fortune for a fix.

This is a replacement for a faulty one I returned and only got back a few days ago, ao I'm more than a little annoyed.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any visible damage to the device? If not, just return it as faulty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a scratch and the top of it is "roughed up" a bit...

I've only just had the replaced as faulty so I'm a bit concerned I'd be taking the piss a bit
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Is there any visible damage to the device? If not, just return it as faulty.

Agreed, if the damage is not visible then send it back saying "just stopped working"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Agreed, if the damage is not visible then send it back saying "just stopped working"

Sadly not looking like an option unless I can get rid of the scratch at least
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say the scratch was there when you got it back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three problems with saying it was there already

a/ I've looked at it, and it's an actual crack rather than a scratch
    b/ I've uploaded loads of apps onto it already - it's kind of obvious it has been working..
    c/ There is a big scuff on the top of it, that kind of makes it obvious it's been dropped

I've read somewhere about some Nexus's having badly put together screens, has anyone had any success with that?

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side it looks like "only" the glass is broken...
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way that it would be covered under a warranty - they only cover breakdown, not accidental damage.

Could you claim on your home insurance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    No way that it would be covered under a warranty - they only cover breakdown, not accidental damage.

Could you claim on your home insurance?

Looking at that but looks like I'm not covered for accidental damage.

Looking at seeing if there is a way I can claim from my credit card under section 75 - make it sound like the damage was caused in as innocuous way as possible and claim it's not fit for purpose...
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at that but looks like I'm not covered for accidental damage.

Looking at seeing if there is a way I can claim from my credit card under section 75 - make it sound like the damage was caused in as innocuous way as possible and claim it's not fit for purpose...

Sure if you're happy making a fruadulent claim, go for it!

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure if you're happy making a fruadulent claim, go for it!

It still shouldn't break that easily

this one was a replacement due to the previous one suffering from a fault, and that one got one hell of a buffeting
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

this one was a replacement due to the previous one suffering from a fault, and that one got one hell of a buffeting

you dropped it!
    they are not bomb proof!

you should be annoyed though, at yourself for being so clumsy.

not covered under warranty, and now you are looking at making fraudulent claims to try and get another.

sorry, but you have to suck this one up.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stick it on flea bay, describing damage probably get 80 to hundred for it. And take the hit
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have given no details about the fall. Anything dropped onto a hard surface has a high chance of damage.

Did you have in a case or bumper or anything ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Alright then I'm now convinced, I'd thoroughly recommend you take that course of action.

(I hope that's what you wanted to hear)

• scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Just order another 1 from an online store like a catalogue and swap them.

And be more careful in future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ahh yes that's much more honest way of solving this problem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yeah because serial numbers are never noted on invoices! :rolleyes:
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623/3

Scroll to step 20.. It says you will need to purchase a whole display assembly lcd included.. It does not say how much this component will cost..
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    ahh yes that's much more honest way of solving this problem

Well it might work,your word against theirs and all that. Plus I don't think these big home shopping catalogue firms check tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you dropped it!
    they are not bomb proof!
    The should be able to withstand a certain amount of buffeting, I have only given a small amount of details - for example if it had fallen 1 foot onto tiles I would not expect it to break.

My original suffered equal buffetting without breaking.
    you should be annoyed though, at yourself for being so clumsy.
    I have a disability.

You should now be annoyed at yourself for disability discrimination

not covered under warranty, and now you are looking at making fraudulent claims to try and get another.
    So what? It's not like I've illegally invaded another country to steal their natural resources (though I'd be a hero for doing that aparantly)
    sorry, but you have to suck this one up.

Sorry but I don't think so...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i'm not discriminating against anyone, and i'm certainly not annoyed for telling you the truth.
    the same response would have been given to anyone.
    and the fact that i did not know you had a disability would suggest that no discrimination took place :rolleyes:

sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder and expect to get some sort of special treatment?

why don't you give us the FULL details of the incident then? how far did it fall?

i sincerely hope you end up having to pay the full price for a replacement. might teach you a lesson.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The should be able to withstand a certain amount of buffeting, I have only given a small amount of details - for example if it had fallen 1 foot onto tiles I would not expect it to break.

My original suffered equal buffetting without breaking.

I have a disability.

So what? It's not like I've illegally invaded another country to steal their natural resources (though I'd be a hero for doing that aparantly)

Sorry but I don't think so...

If you accidentally break something by dropping it, which you didn't have insured, do you seriously think you have a case for disability discrimination? It doesn't give you the right to commit fraud. Anyway good luck with that :)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    These things aren't really built for durability, which is a real shame given how useful they can be to the very people who are more likely to drop the things!

I was considering getting my mother one (either a tablet or Kindle - she loves to read) as she finds a laptop too heavy to use most of the time, and even larger books are a bit much for her, but she has a condition that means she no longer has any feeling in the tips of her fingers, which means she frequently drops things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there doesn't seem to be a solution or answer that suits the OP, might as well close this thread.