The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    He was instrumental in the deal which gave ITV the FA Cup.As a recent head of ITV Sport he should not have been involved in any negotiations but then the FA would sell their grannies for a few more bob in the coffers.I believe he is now with the Rugby League such is his dedication to football.

He's probably been " converted" as I have been recently. Still, does anyone know how the Superleague has been faring on Sky?
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for being so slow with a roundup when I now seem to be the only one with access. I actually only have access on my work computer, so posting ratings at the weekends is fiddly but it can be done! So here we go:

BBC1
    6.00 Breakfast 1.37m (30.6)
    10.00 Saturday Kitchen Live 2.09m (27.4)
    11.30 The Good Cook 1.79m (22.3)
    12.00 BBC News 1.93m (24.5)
    12.15 Football Focus 1.78m (20.6)
    1.00 Six Nations Rugby: Wales v Ireland 3.27m (29.7)
    3.30 Six Nations Rugby: England v Scotland 5.39m (33.9)
    6.00 BBC News 5.52m (27.5)
    6.15 Pointless Celebrities 4.89m (23.1)
    7.00 Britain's Brightest 4.34m (19.6)
    8.00 The National Lottery: In It to Win It 4.90m (21.3)
    8.50 Casualty 5.16m (22.5)
    9.40 Mrs Brown's Boys 4.78m (22.5)
    10.10 BBC News 4.24m (21.4)
    10.30 Match of the Day 3.94m (27.1)

BBC2
    6.00 Devil's Canyon 93k (5.3)
    7.30 Great British Menu 59k (1.7)
    8.00 Great British Menu 128k (2.4)
    8.30 Great British Menu 242k (3.6)
    9.00 Great British Menu 342k (4.7)
    9.30 Great British Menu 418k (5.6)
    10.00 A History of Britain by Simon Schama 224k (3.0)
    11.00 Meet the Ancestors 214k (2.7)
    11.30 Map Man 199k (2.5)
    12.00 Indian Food Made Easy 344k (4.2)
    12.30 Mastermind 193k (2.2)
    1.00 University Challenge 286k (2.9)
    1.30 Talking Pictures 218k (2.0)
    2.10 Anchors Aweigh 290k (2.2)
    4.25 Final Score 999k (5.9)
    5.30 The Great Comic Relief Bake Off 1.23m (6.2)
    6.30 Flog It! 1.17m (5.5)
    7.00 Top Gear 1.06m (4.8)
    8.00 Dad's Army 1.75m (7.6)
    8.30 Kangaroo Dundee: Natural World 1.71m (7.5)
    9.30 Howard Goodall's Story of Music 885k (4.2)
    10.30 QI XL 908k (5.4)
    11.15 The Good Shepherd 371k (3.7)

ITV
    9.30 The Jeremy Kyle Show USA 273k (3.6)
    10.25 The Jeremy Kyle Show USA 358k (4.6)
    11.20 Saturday Cookbook 288k (3.6)
    12.20 ITV News 322k (3.8)
    12.25 Murder, She Wrote 326k (3.5)
    1.25 Coutrywise 235k (2.3)
    1.40 My Tasty Travels with Lynda Bellingham 200k (1.8)
    2.40 Dinner Date 308k (2.6)
    3.45 The Flintstones 623k (4.1)
    5.30 Regional News 1.80m (10.7)
    5.45 ITV News (unknown)
    6.00 New You've Been Framed! Top 100 Talent 3.49m (16.6)
    7.00 Splash! 5.33m (23.8)
    8.30 Take Me Out 3.99m (17.5)
    9.45 The Jonathan Ross Show 2.90m (14.5)
    10.50 ITV News 1.56m (9.4)
    11.05 Pride and Prejudice 606k (6.7)

CHANNEL 4
    7.05 Beach Volleyball 33k (1.1)
    8.00 The Morning Line 222k (3.7)
    9.00 Everybody Loves Raymond 191k (2.6)
    9.30 Everybody Loves Raymond 178k (2.4)
    10.00 Frasier 260k (3.5)
    10.30 Frasier 271k (3.5)
    11.00 The Big Bang Theory 358k (4.6)
    11.30 The Big Bang Theory 479k (5.9)
    12.00 The Simpsons 429k(5.3)
    12.30 Undercover Boss Australia 286k (3.1)
    1.30 Racing 415k (3.6)
    4.00 Come Dine with Me Ireland 446k (3.1)
    4.30 Come Dine with Me Ireland 645k (4)
    5.00 Come Dine with Me Ireland 816k (4.6)
    5.30 Come Dine with Me Ireland 964k (5)
    6.00 Come Dine with Me Ireland 997k (4.8)
    6.35 Channel 4 News 569k (2.7)
    7.10 "Crocodile" Dundee 1.02m (4.5)
    9.00 World without End 1.04m (4.6)
    10.00 Along Came a Spider 777k (4.9)

CHANNEL 5
    3.30 Desperate Escape 671k (4.6)
    5.15 By Appointment Only 608k (3.1)
    6.55 NCIS 834k (3.8)
    7.45 NCIS 956k (4.2)
    8.40 Law and Order 654k (2.9)
    9.40 Law and Order: Special Victims Unit 992k (4.8)
    10.40 Law and Order: Criminal Intent 715k(4.7)
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    as bbc,s two year contract that they paid 22 million for the voice ends after this coming series of the voice does this mean if it flops itv could get it or channel 5???
    if the bbc didnt bid for the rights for the voice past this year surly the mass cash should be spent on British ideas and new sat night shows the format can be sold abroad for to make more cash not in the case of the voice paying for another countries format.
    the voice in usa on channel with ads on and seems more suited to ad carrying channels as helps product placement , adverts and still feel advert channels do entertainment better.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A digression I know but could someone point out to Dan Walker (BBC Final Score) that instead of being surprised the actor Patrick ''Star Trek'' Stewart was at the Derby v Huddersfield game, if he'd done his homework properly he would have known that Stewart is a life-long Huddersfield fan and regularly attends games.Might make a nice little film for Focus Dan, Hollywood to Huddersfield ?
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    as bbc,s two year contract that they paid 22 million for the voice ends after this coming series of the voice does this mean if it flops itv could get it or channel 5???
    if the bbc didnt bid for the rights for the voice past this year surly the mass cash should be spent on British ideas and new sat night shows the format can be sold abroad for to make more cash not in the case of the voice paying for another countries format.
    the voice in usa on channel with ads on and seems more suited to ad carrying channels as helps product placement , adverts and still feel advert channels do entertainment better.

The problem is though that the BBC doesnt have any ideas for Light Entertainment other than(recently) Secret Service and Animal Antics- and Britains Brightest which for me doesnt qualify as LE as its too worthy and bland. In fact the BBC hasnt had an idea (other than SCD) which has been a hit worthy of the word since Noels House Party.
    I dont imagine for a minute the BBC would have sanctioned the huge outlay if its own resource was churning out innovative formats and returnable hits. I reckon it was partly frustration that lead them to The Voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't the BBC persuade Noel Edmonds to ditch the ailing DOND and get him to do a House Party show, which is what he's best at?
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    The Battle Of The Ages pilot will be recorded at RADA Studios in London on Thursday 7th February.

The above show is the fourth ITV1 pilot to be revealed this week. The commercial network is currently seeking a new entertainment show to complement its new raft of sitcoms (which will include Vicious and The Job Lot). The other ITV pilots announced are topical panel show Oh What A Week!, Alexander Armstrong's You Couldn't Make It Up, and improv format Chat Show Roulette.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The problem is though that the BBC doesnt have any ideas for Light Entertainment other than(recently) Secret Service and Animal Antics- and Britains Brightest which for me doesnt qualify as LE as its too worthy and bland. In fact the BBC hasnt had an idea (other than SCD) which has been a hit worthy of the word since Noels House Party.
    I dont imagine for a minute the BBC would have sanctioned the huge outlay if its own resource was churning out innovative formats and returnable hits. I reckon it was partly frustration that lead them to The Voice.

The other problem is that there's been so much television that it's difficult to come up with a genuinly original format (so kudos to Splash! on that score) so most new shows are a variation on an old format. And a lot of these old formats are considerably less popular than they used to be.

Hidden camera shows used to be big but we've just had two flop h.c. shows in the last six months.

YBF! used to one of the biggest programmes on the TV, but although it had a bit of a rally against flop Secret Service, it lost out t0 a repeat of Pointless last night.

Similarly, Alright On The Night was also once a TV giant but is now just another averagedly-rated light entertainment programme.

TV has also tried a few dreams-come-true formats since Jim'll Fix It finished without much success or dating formats since Blind Date finished without much success. There's Take Me Out, of course, which qualifies as a hit, but it doesn't do great in raw numbers, it just happens to do well in the right demographic.

The BBC tried to do something new with The Magicians and The One And Only (their tribute act series if you remember), two shows that should have worked but were let down by the production.

What the BBC really needs for Saturday nights are comedy sketch shows, a mainstay in the 70s and 80s when BBC1 dominated Saturday nights. But the BBC aren't willing to invest the money to develope any mainstream talent. The ideal person for a Saturday night sketch show would be Miranda Hart, and I reckon she could be persuaded to give it a go as she's a big fan of that sort of comedy (Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies) but the BBC just wouldn't spent the money.

The one programme that could have provided the necessary boost for BBC1's Saturdays this winter was Miranda, but Danny Cohen put all his faith in Britain's Brighest. Never mind being forced to resign for wrongly accusing a Tory grandee of paedaphilia or the Queen of storming out of a portrait sitting, he should be made to resign for not being able to spot a mediocre light entertainment format when he sees one.:rolleyes:
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Post Superbowl shows are more about trying to boost that show's ratings long term by giving it a much higher than normal sample. I think CBS has chosen well as they want Elementary to become a long running popular franchise for them.

Great rating for the rugby. The demos would have been superb as well. It will be interesting to see how Italy's fantastic win over France rates there.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Can't the BBC persuade Noel Edmonds to ditch the ailing DOND and get him to do a House Party show, which is what he's best at?
    I know now Shipwrecked is well and truly sunk that DOND is your latest pet peeve, but as great as House Party was at it's peak I don't think it would be doing anyone any favours bringing it back now.

Indeed Ant and Dec bringing back Saturday Night Takeaway after just three years feels like a risky move and both ITV and Ant and Dec admitting defeat, so the BBC bringing back House Party after 15 or so years, especially when it really did die out in it's last couple of years, would be even more desperate and even less likely to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I know now Shipwrecked is well and truly sunk that DOND is your latest pet peeve, but as great as House Party was at it's peak I don't think it would be doing anyone any favours bringing it back now.

Indeed Ant and Dec bringing back Saturday Night Takeaway after just three years feels like a risky move and both ITV and Ant and Dec admitting defeat, so the BBC bringing back House Party after 15 or so years, especially when it really did die out in it's last couple of years, would be even more desperate and even less likely to work.

Well not quite House Party, but something similar, this served Noel well for 8 years. I'm sure he'd love one last go at Saturday nights. I had suggested the Generation Game several threads back, but due to the Jim Davidson scandal, this show is persona non grata now.
    SNT will do OK and 5 million is welcome for ITV as they have had some woeful flops on Saturday, but it seems the BBC has caught the LE flop disease now.
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    ... but Danny Cohen put all his faith in Britain's Brighest. Never mind being forced to resign for wrongly accusing a Tory grandee of paedaphilia or the Queen of storming out of a portrait sitting, he should be made to resign for not being able to spot a mediocre light entertainment format when he sees one.:rolleyes:
    Mediocre?? Do you know how long and hard we worked to make that show? It's what John Logie Baird invented TV for.

It's hardly Danny Cohen's fault if millions of people prefer to slob on their couches with spittle running down their chins while they ogle some z-list bimbo in a bikini. The same people, no doubt, who post stuff on DS without knowing the difference between "there" and "their", or usage of capitals and punctuation.

I blame it all on Comprehensive Education. Worst thing the government ever did.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I'm particularly looking forward to Beat the Ancestors. Corny title but good concept.
    I've just watched the first episode of this 'Medieval Machine Gun'. I won't spoil it by revealing whether or not they managed to beat the ancestors, but I will say that I loved it. Awesome format, really well executed. Disappointing should this not be reflected in the ratings, C5 could well have another hit factual series on their hands here.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Tbbt - don't they already have an episode like thus when Leonard is invited to watch a Super Bowl at penny's and ends up getting kicked out?
    dont think it was the Superbowl (just a football game) and hence why I didnt suggest him watching football with Penny as the plot ;)
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    Mediocre?? Do you know how long and hard we worked to make that show? It's what John Logie Baird invented TV for.

It's hardly Danny Cohen's fault if millions of people prefer to slob on their couches with spittle running down their chins while they ogle some z-list bimbo in a bikini. The same people, no doubt, who post stuff on DS without knowing the difference between "there" and "their", or usage of capitals and punctuation.

I blame it all on Comprehensive Education. Worst thing the government ever did.

The show has no bite though; nothing to hook the interest. It's like The Krypton Factor has been dumbed down to try and change it into a light entertainment format and has failed because it's trying to match two worlds. Either it needs to really lightened up with a comedy presenter and some funny moments or it needs to be made very serious...and if it takes the latter approach then Saturday night is not the place for it. Not on BBC One anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Well not quite House Party, but something similar, this served Noel well for 8 years. I'm sure he'd love one last go at Saturday nights. I had suggested the Generation Game several threads back, but due to the Jim Davidson scandal, this show is persona non grata now.
    SNT will do OK and 5 million is welcome for ITV as they have had some woeful flops on Saturday, but it seems the BBC has caught the LE flop disease now.

Jimmy Savile is considerably worse than Jim Davidson and yet BBC4 continue to show old repeats of Top Of The Pops (albeit not the ones presented by Savile or Dave Lee Travis) so Davidson would be no reason for the BBC to revive the Gen Game if they wanted.

BBC1 tried something similar to House Party in 2004 - Passport To Paradise with Johnny Vaughan and Denise Van Outen. It flopped (although the BBC may have been a bit too quick to axe it. Saturday Night Takeaway didn't become a hit until series 2)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Law & Order night on Channel 5 (how it was promoted) didn't do too badly, especially in the crucial 9.40 and 10.40 slots (when new SVU and Criminal Intent aired) although would've liked to have seen higher viewing figures. However, it may not look like it from the actual ratings, SVU: (992,000) and Criminal Intent (715,000) but the shares were not half bad - (4.8%) for SVU and 4.7% for Criminal Intent in total. Channel 5should now start repeating these weekend episodes, maybe once a week on 5USA to increase viewers. Wait, do they already do this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    The show has no bite though; nothing to hook the interest. It's like The Krypton Factor has been dumbed down to try and change it into a light entertainment format and has failed because it's trying to match two worlds. Either it needs to really lightened up with a comedy presenter and some funny moments or it needs to be made very serious...and if it takes the latter approach then Saturday night is not the place for it. Not on BBC One anyway.

The big difference between Spalsh! and Britain's Brightest is that viewers knew what they were getting with Splash! whereas the trailer for Brightest featured Clare Balding saying "it's a talent show with a difference" before lots of clips of contestant's playing a game show, so what's it supposed to be the viewers may have thought.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big difference between Spalsh! and Britain's Brightest is that viewers knew what they were getting with Splash! whereas the trailer for Brightest featured Clare Balding saying "it's a talent show with a difference" before lots of clips of contestant's playing a game show, so what's it supposed to be the viewers may have thought.

It was an awful trailer. If they sped it up and shortened the program it would be an okay show. But that's all. just okay.

Ken
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Law & Order night on Channel 5 (how it was promoted) didn't do too badly, especially in the crucial 9.40 and 10.40 slots (when new SVU and Criminal Intent aired) although would've liked to have seen higher viewing figures. However, it may not look like it from the actual ratings, SVU: (992,000) and Criminal Intent (715,000) but the shares were not half bad - (4.8%) for SVU and 4.7% for Criminal Intent in total. Channel 5should now start repeating these weekend episodes, maybe once a week on 5USA to increase viewers. Wait, do they already do this?
    Unfortunately they are not allowed to repeat these series on 5USA, only the main Law & Order series, which has been airing on weeknights at 6pm.

L&O night did okay, good to see Wentworth Miller back on C5 screens ;), although they could probably do without the repeat in there. With a weaker schedule around it SVU was down around 30% year-on-year, but on that occasion it had a lead-in from CSI: NY of 2.3m.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    The news being the highest rated show of the whole evening across both networks shows how britian feel about the shows. I wouldn't call splash a success. Its mediocre ratings at best and I learnt this week its a format from holland as charlie brooker summed it up completely as complete rubbish

I think that britians brighest needs shelved too.

How is casualty getting 5 million? Its 27 years old give us a rest bbc one.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how Junior Doctors is performing this series on BBC3? It was getting over 1m last year, if I recall. But I can't seem to find it in the BARB top 30 at the moment.
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The news being the highest rated show of the whole evening across both networks shows how britian feel about the shows.
    Yeah, dire offerings aplenty Johnny from the "big two."

Netflix couldn't have picked a better weekend to launch House of Cards. I bet a fair number of Netflix UK's 1m+ subscribers were watching that last night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday Night Takeaway didn't become a hit until series 2)

That's because the first series was a wholly different show compared to the second series onwards. The first series was more based on the Win the Ads concept than being an endgame as they had elimination rounds. Also, it was shown in the summer of 2002 with the second series being moved to winter 2003.

I saw the trailer for the revival last night and nearly all the clips they used were from the early days with Undercover and Young Ant & Dec. All they need to do when it returns is to go back their routes of the early days and not what they did towards the end of the last series by inviting 20 plus celebrities on each show.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they can win either way really. Takeaway was quite tired by the end so IMO really needs to essentially be a brand new show under the same format with completely new features (including a replacement for Win the Ads - which nowadays is probably Pay Day Loans and injury compensation!) but others will be disapointed if it returns without the features that made it in the first place.

I always felt they could have spun Ant vs Dec off into it's own show, pre-recording it and enabling them to do some pretty big stunts around the world, with or without celebrities.
This discussion has been closed.