CRB checks - who pays?

Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A question from a friend. She is urgently job seeking at the moment and has come across several opportunities where she is being asked to pay £44 up front for the cost of a CRB check. As far as I can tell - no guarantee of a placement.

Is this usual? She is also being told that the check needs to be carried out every time through different agencies. So a payment every time.

I thought that a CRB check lasted for at least three years and was acceptable by any potential employer. So - is this a new scam - or a genuine requirement?

She has worked in care homes and with children for many years in the past but is returning to work after nursing a sick relative.

Comments

• susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only got my daughter's experience, but she's a teacher and had to be CRB-checked, and she certainly didn't have to pay for it. She only got checked when she'd actually been offered the job, though.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a new scam. Previously you could go to your local police station, fill in a form and pay a tenner and your CRB was sent through a couple of weeks later. Now you have to get it done through an umbrella organisation who are making big business out of it by charging the earth for 'administration fees'

When I say scam its not an actual scam but it is a massive rip-off,
  • hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Officially I think you have to have one for every different place you work. Unless you can find somewhere that will give you a general registration - e.g. my husband's company have to issue CRBs that cover any schools or hospitals they work for as they are in the building industry and work in lots of different places.

I head up a charity and we are actually charged £62 if the employee is a paid employee or someone who is a trainee ie. not yet qualified (we are a team of counsellors and psychotherapists). We're only charge the admin fee of about £12 for qualifed volunteers. As an organisation we pay for anyone that's qualified but as we are doing the placements a favour they have to pay.

I would only ask for a CRB check once we are certain we are taking them on (or at least we are unless the CRB check comes back dodgy). I'm not sure whether they should expect their interviewees to pay or not. But it's not a scam, they do need one for every different place. But I don't think it's a CRB check any more, it's called something else. So you've reminded me I need some new forms!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression that the onus was on the workplace to have their employees checked and they should cover the fees. Getting staff to pay for something that each individual workplace needs is a bit cheeky.
  • queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought that a CRB check lasted for at least three years and was acceptable by any potential employer. .

CRB's are now DBS's - see link

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview

If you think about it they couldn't be valid for three years because think how many offences a person could commit in that time
  • ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the onus was on the workplace to have their employees checked and they should cover the fees. Getting staff to pay for something that each individual workplace needs is a bit cheeky.

where I work, some people, depending on their job role, need CRB checks and this is paid for them. Other places - especially care homes and organisations providing domiciliary care services, make the employee pay for it themselves.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never work for a company that asked me to meet the cost of a CRB check. Those checks are for the companies benefit...not the worker.

I can sort of see why agencies won't pay the cost as there is no fixed contract and someone could do just one shift and then never work for them again, but for a fixed hours contract.......no way.

Unfortunately though, it does seem that more and more companies are making the employee meet the cost.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I've had 2 CRB's for past jobs and the employers paid for them.
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did voluntary work somewhere and the company paid..
    Then I got a paid job and that company didn't pay, I had to pay for it but it was only when it was confirmed that I had the actual job..
  • GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    It really depends on the organisation - my last 2 jobs, they paid for it, one had to delve deeper and carry out home office checks, etc due to Olympics Security.
    At my current place I paid the £25 online and once I got the certificate, they reimbursed me thorugh payroll.