Doctor Who Season 7 Episode 8: The Rings of Akhaten 06/04/2013 18:15 BBC1 Discussion

saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
Forum Member
✭✭
' Having found himself a new companion in the shape of Clara Oswald, the Doctor asks where she wants to go first - and her request for somewhere awesome takes the pair to the rings of the planet Akhaten, inhabited by all manner of amazing creatures. Clara meets the young queen, who is about to take part in a ceremony called the Festival of Offerings - but what begins as a happy sing-song soon turns very grim. Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman star'

What did you think of the episode? 820 votes

Excellent
13% 114 votes
Good
22% 182 votes
Average
29% 245 votes
Bad
15% 131 votes
Poor
18% 148 votes

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I would get this in early to cheer myself up having chosen to go on 'holiday' in the most exciting DW week possibly ever... *bangs head against brick wall*

So, mixed reviews and buzz on this one. Sounds like it might be quite a polarising episode which is fine by me. Just how I like my Doctor Who!

Beast Below/End of the World/Gridlock mashup ahoy? I for one sure hope so :)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I would get this in early to cheer myself up having chosen to go on 'holiday' in the most exciting DW week possibly ever... *bangs head against brick wall*

So, mixed reviews and buzz on this one. Sounds like it might be quite a polarising episode which is fine by me. Just how I like my Doctor Who!

Beast Below/End of the World/Gridlock mashup ahoy? I for one sure hope so :)
    Behave yourself on your hols:D
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Seems fairly unanimous that this something of a career highlight for Murray Gold - can't wait purely for that reason.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Behave yourself on your hols:D

Salad put "holiday" in inverted commas, and there are brick walls. I wonder where he/she's gone......;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salad put "holiday" in inverted commas, and there are brick walls. I wonder where he/she's gone......;):D

Moving swiftly on....:D

How did you enjoy Bells then Granny? I mustve missed your comments on the episode thread.

And on topic what are your thoughts on this one?
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Okay that's entirely adorable. I love these two together - they have perfect chemistry in whatever way you choose to read it.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moving swiftly on....:D

How did you enjoy Bells then Granny? I mustve missed your comments on the episode thread.

And on topic what are your thoughts on this one?

Loved it - great introduction for Clara, nicely paced, funny, sad, exciting. Couldn't be better, really. :)

As for the Rings of Akhaten, trailers look amazing - I'm looking forward to it, not least for the music. Murray Gold always come up with some wonderful stuff.

It would be nice to have another DW at the Proms for Anniversary year. :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clip 2

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-rings-of-akhaten-first-clip-47178.htm

These are so small, and just slight expansion on trailer scenes, which I appreciate.

Still absolutely adorable, though :p
    If you weren’t sold on Coleman in the opener, her scenes here may turn you around
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too! The likelihood that I won't like the episode is tiny because I'll be happy with almost anything, but if many other people don't like it then there's going to be plenty to discuss afterwards. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less than a day to go;
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore how the new theme sounds just as 'MATT SMITH' fades away :D A very retro hum! It also has the 'lift' at the end which was missing from S5-6. That added oomph just before the episode begins properly.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the first episode Neil Cross has written? I've read a few of his books and always enjoyed them, though I've never seen Luther.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit this is't really hitting the high notes on my anticipation scale, i get a bit of an "end of the world" vibe about it, and I wasn't really a fan of said episode....
    Clip 1:
    Clip 2

Have to say, though, I really enjoyed those clips, all those awesome looking aliens in the second one :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    Is this the first episode Neil Cross has written? I've read a few of his books and always enjoyed them, though I've never seen Luther.

Technically it's the second, as he wrote Hide first, but this one is being shown first. I get the impression Hide is the stronger one of the two. We shall see though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Technically it's the second, as he wrote Hide first, but this one is being shown first. I get the impression Hide is the stronger one of the two. We shall see though :)

Going purely on the promo poster, I'd say Hide looks more interesting.

There's usually one episode per series that doesn't seem to appeal to me going by trailers/synopsis e.t.c (The Beast Below, The Curse of the Black Spot) and I think this is the episode this series.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Im looking forward to tonight's episode, haven't been able to say that for a long time.

Usually for me the trailers that are less boom and bang I tend to enjoy the episode.

Looking at the trailer it does have a series 1 (2005) feel to it.

On a separate note, am I being extremely dumb, but how long has the Who forum been on the main page, not just tucked away in the cult section. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im looking forward to tonight's episode, haven't been able to say that for a long time.

Usually for me the trailers that are less boom and bang I tend to enjoy the episode.

On a separate note, am I being extremely dumb, but how long has the Who forum been on the main page, not just tucked away in the cult section. :confused:

Think it's a new thing, I only noticed it after reading your post :D
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,960
    Forum Member
    I think it's been there the whole time as I've only now noticed it on the main page.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

just today... we've obviously gone up in the world... best behaviour everyone. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's been added to the main page whilst the show is on air? Then we'll be shoved away again until the 50th :D
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was very disappointed no one noticed :-(

We're trying a similar system we use with some of the reality shows. We're going to move the Doctor Who forum to the main forum when it is currently airing and back as a sub-forum when it's not.

It also pained us very much to remove 'Torchwood' from the forum name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was very disappointed no one noticed :-(

We're trying a similar system we use with some of the reality shows. We're going to move the Doctor Who forum to the main forum when it is currently airing and back as a sub-forum when it's not.

It also pained us very much to remove 'Torchwood' from the forum name.

I didn't notice Torchwood wasn't there :o
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    I didn't notice Torchwood wasn't there :o

*sobs*
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even using the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page I didn't notice this forum was now a main one not a sub-forum. I should pay more attention :o

I'm interested about tonight's episode, rather than excited. The trailer at the end of last week's episode intrigued me but didn't thrill me, and I haven't watched any other clips yet. I was disappointed with last week's episode, so tonight does need to be an improvement for me.