Options

advice with posting a parcel

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
I've got something to post and i'm using an empty cardboard box from amazon, i've stuck tape around to make it secure and then stuck the address on top of the box.
Am i alright to take it to the post office like that or do i need to go and buy some paper to wrap the amazon box in before they'll take it?
cheers for any advice, just want to be sure they'll accept it in the morning :)

Comments

• Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    I've got something to post and i'm using an empty cardboard box from amazon, i've stuck tape around to make it secure and then stuck the address on top of the box.
    Am i alright to take it to the post office like that or do i need to go and buy some paper to wrap the amazon box in before they'll take it?
    cheers for any advice, just want to be sure they'll accept it in the morning :)

As long as it's secure and the address is clear there should be no problem.
  • Options
    ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No reason as to why you cant recycle an Amazon cardboard box. It wouldnt be rejected as long as it is clearly addressed and secure.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sent something in a bin bag once. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers for the replies all :) yes i was just worried in case they didn't like the fact it said amazon on it but i guess there's only going to be one address to post it to!
    i suppose a bin bag would be cheaper! :D
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Provided that it has YOUR return address on it and NO address relating to Amazon, it doesn't matter what company name it advertises.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Check the dimensions to make sure you squeeze it into the cheapest postal rate ~ it is no longer just based on weight.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice would be to NOT use the Post Office, they're an absolute rip off for sending packages/parcels.

There's a courier centre near me that will deliver anything up to a certain size/weight for just £6, and that gets you tracked 24 hour courier delivery.

By comparison last time I used the post office it was closer to £12 and that was a 'standard parcels' unsigned service which takes up to 5 working days. Not to mention that queue times seem to be longer at most post offices and they seem to be much more fussy with weight/dimensions than the couriers.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    My wife runs an internet business using the post office to deliver stuff. The recent "simplification" has put prices up and made life more difficult for her and the people in the post office. It used to be easy - £2.20 2nd class or £2.70 first class up to 750g. Now it's a nightmare
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife runs an internet business using the post office to deliver stuff. The recent "simplification" has put prices up and made life more difficult for her and the people in the post office. It used to be easy - £2.20 2nd class or £2.70 first class up to 750g. Now it's a nightmare
    Not sure what that has to do with choice of packaging but has your wife looked into an online courier service? In my limited experience they are usually cheaper than the Post Office and they come to your home/office to pick the item up.
  • Options
    Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just started to use Hermes, they collect deliver and get it signed for for £5. Barain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Not sure what that has to do with choice of packaging but has your wife looked into an online courier service? In my limited experience they are usually cheaper than the Post Office and they come to your home/office to pick the item up.

I sell bits and bobs on eBay and My Hermes are often much cheaper than Royal Mail. Worth having a look at: http://www.myhermes1.co.uk/