Can Americans tell when someone is Canadian?

doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
Forum Member
The accent sounds the same to us but does it sound different to Americans from their own accent or can they only tell the difference when a Canadian pronounces about "aboot" or when they end a sentence with "eh"?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently according to my American wife, Canadians place more emphasis on their vowels, stringing them out more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did an IT course recently. I'm sure the lecturer was Canadian. He kept saying Java as Javva(i.e. Javva the Hutt) and sounded precisely like the co-commentator on the Mosconi Cup, Jim Wych.
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Were there any Canadian actors in Boyz N The Hood?

They could use that to make a comparison.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I know it was an issue on the set of The X-Files (filmed in Vancouver for the first 5 years but set in the USA) to remind some of the locally hired Canadian actors to watch their vowel sounds etc.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The accent sounds the same to us but does it sound different to Americans from their own accent or can they only tell the difference when a Canadian pronounces about "aboot" or when they end a sentence with "eh"?

Of course. To them it would sound relatively different to a US accent.

Its effectively the same with an Oz/Kiwi accent, we Brits struggle to deferentiate them, but Im sure they can tell instantly.

I speak with a pretty Standard English accent and an American once asked me if I was British or Australian!! I guess familiarity changes your perspective
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Jim Carrey, Seth Rogen, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, they just sound American to me, can Americans tell, they're not that good with accents usually.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from Seattle and my accent is no different from someone from Vancouver.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a not very strong Leeds accent and a Canadian once asked if I was Irish!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since living in the UK I've been mistaken for Northern Irish and Scottish on a few occasions. Go figure.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'm from Seattle and my accent is no different from someone from Vancouver.

You want to hear my ex, she's from Norleans and speaks with a creole accent. My Daughter though, having grown up in Boston, speaks with the stereotypical Boston accent. Trust me, there's no way anybody would ever confuse either for a Canuck.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Jim Carrey, Seth Rogen, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, they just sound American to me, can Americans tell, they're not that good with accents usually.

Avril Lavigne and Alanis Morrisette sound pretty obviously Canadian though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    You want to hear my ex, she's from Norleans and speaks with a creole accent. My Daughter though, having grown up in Boston, speaks with the stereotypical Boston accent. You'd never confuse either for a Canuck.

Yep. There's not a distinct dividing line. I used to have a neighbor from Louisiana and I mostly just smiled and nodded when he spoke because I could hardly understand a single word. A friend's mother is from Minnesota though, and I reckon she's fairly used to getting confused for a Canadian.
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Avril Lavigne and Alanis Morrisette sound pretty obviously Canadian though.

Can't say I've noticed but from their names they sound French-Canadian maybe that's the difference.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget William Shatner and Michael J. Fox. I don't think many will know they're Cannucks.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can tell the American and Canadian accent apart, so I'm pretty sure an American can.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Did an IT course recently. I'm sure the lecturer was Canadian. He kept saying Java as Javva(i.e. Javva the Hutt) and sounded precisely like the co-commentator on the Mosconi Cup, Jim Wych.
    I wonder how many will pick up on that reference :D
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Ask them to say "About" and if they say Aboot, then they are Canadian.

Long vowel sounds.

When Ice Road Truckers started, their was a man from Yelloknife in Canada and it was like no language you have ever heard or more like a mixture of all languages.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I can tell the American and Canadian accent apart, so I'm pretty sure an American can.

I don't think they're very good with accents though.

I think we notice when a British actor is doing a bad American accent more than they do.

Very few of them knew Hugh Lawrie wasn't American until he went on the chat show circuit.
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine it's about the same as a Southerner hearing a Birmingham accent.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The accent sounds the same to us

Speak for yourself OP. If you know what you're listening for, it's not hard to tell the difference between American (not that 'American' is an accent anyway, there are about a million different American accents) and Canadian, just as it is between Australian and Kiwi, or Glasgow and Edinburgh... It's just a case of tuning in to the accents. If you hear them very rarely then you're not going to tell the difference easily, but spend a bit of time listening and tuning in and it's not that hard.

It's like when you've lived somewhere for a very long time - you can tell very subtle differences between accents in next-door towns if you've listened to enough, which outsiders can't.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

They don't all pronounce it like that.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Can't say I've noticed but from their names they sound French-Canadian maybe that's the difference.

True. Neither of them is actually Quebcois though.
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    They don't all pronounce it like that.

Not in Hollywood movies they don't, I think we'd notice if Ryan Gosling started saying "aboot".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they're acting?
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Not in Hollywood movies they don't, I think we'd notice if Ryan Gosling started saying "aboot".

I rarely watch films, so I can't comment.

I'm going by personal experience.