"Guest Facilities" for friends ?

Angelica1973Angelica1973 Posts: 352
Forum Member
Hello All

This is a question regarding FM's who visit friends for a few days break. In an ideal world, what facilities would you want, do you need ?

I have a female friend coming to stay for a few days, solo traveller, she's flying Ryanair and only got carry on luggage, so I bought all the usual toiletires a woman would expect for her bathroom (although they are all budget brands). She has her own bathroom (not finished, but certainly useable), bedroom a safe distance away from us (hubby snores), I have plenty of soft drinks, booze and suitable food. It's her first trip to see us and I am really nervous as the house is still in renovation mode, but it's clean. I should add that I have put photo's on FB of the house but only the finished bits, so feel a bit of a fraud. I'm not normally a people pleaser, more of a "take us as you sodding find us", but I really want to make sure I have everything covered. She's had a rough year and I want to make it perfect for her.

Any suggestions ? Hubby thinks I should put tea making facilities in the room, but in this heat the milk would last 3 minutes.

Thanks for any replies,

Comments

• babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    I don't think you need to put tea in her room, that's very b&b, she's your friend, I would tell her to make herself at home and help herself to anything in the kitchen. What you've provided is great, I doubt very much she would be bothered you've not finished bits of your house and will just be grateful that you've welcomed her into your home. Don't go too overboard! :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just use the house like we do. We do nothing special apart from extra supplies.
  • benjammin316benjammin316 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Wtf is an FM??!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wtf is an FM??!
    Free-loading Mooch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer the the OP... Fluffy Towels, some Touristy brochures for the area & maybe a bottle of bubbles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wtf is an FM??!

^^ Forum member :D
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Why not go the whole hog and have a Reception desk built in your hallway and a few elevator shafts hollowed out. Set up a Concierge desk too.

This is your home, not a hotel. You're over thinking it imo.
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are seriously over thinking this!

When I travel to my friends I just expect somewhere to sleep! If I need toiletries that I've forgotten, I use theirs (with permission, of course).

No special treatment required - or given when people stay here.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was staying at a friends I wouldn't be expecting any facilities if I am an honest. If had to sleep on the settee or floor, then so be it. I certainly wouldn't expect them to be providing toiletries or anything. If I wanted things like that, then I would have stayed in a hotel or b&b.
    Forum Member
    I think buying toiletries is a nice gesture as the friend is only bringing carry on luggage so will be limited to what she can bring esp as she has to try and fit make up in with toiletries in her wee plastic bag so I wouldn't worry about giving her things like that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello All

This is a question regarding FM's who visit friends for a few days break. In an ideal world, what facilities would you want, do you need ?

I have a female friend coming to stay for a few days, solo traveller, she's flying Ryanair and only got carry on luggage, so I bought all the usual toiletires a woman would expect for her bathroom (although they are all budget brands). She has her own bathroom (not finished, but certainly useable), bedroom a safe distance away from us (hubby snores), I have plenty of soft drinks, booze and suitable food. It's her first trip to see us and I am really nervous as the house is still in renovation mode, but it's clean. I should add that I have put photo's on FB of the house but only the finished bits, so feel a bit of a fraud. I'm not normally a people pleaser, more of a "take us as you sodding find us", but I really want to make sure I have everything covered. She's had a rough year and I want to make it perfect for her.

Any suggestions ? Hubby thinks I should put tea making facilities in the room, but in this heat the milk would last 3 minutes.

Thanks for any replies,
    You need to chill out BIG time! Have you never had house guests before? By giving her all the things to keep her self contained, it's almost as if you don't want her mingling with you. She's your friend. Just show her to her room, tell her to make herself at home and to give you a shout if she needs anything or wants to know where anything is and that should be that. Blimey!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the masseuse booked? Beauty treatments ordered?

Don't forget the bedlinen needs to be changed at least once a day and more if she has a nap.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not go the whole hog and have a Reception desk built in your hallway and a few elevator shafts hollowed out. Set up a Concierge desk too.

This is your home, not a hotel. You're over thinking it imo.

This made me :D

I agree - you are worrying about it unnecessarily. Presumably she's come to see you and that's probably all she cares about.

I think the most important thing when someone stays over is to just make them feel comfortable at your house - show her where things are and so on. One thing I sometimes find tricky if I stay over at someone's house that I don't know too well is what to do if I'm up before them - sometimes I feel a bit cheeky going in to their lounge, watching their TV, or using their shower if they haven't said I can (if it's a shared bathroom) - so from my perspective I'd just say to tell her to feel free to use your kitchen/shower/whatever else.

Definitely don't think you need to put tea making facilities in her room! She should be able to use your kitchen and you can sit down and have a cup of tea together :)
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make a sign for her bedroom door:
    "Please make up my room now" and "Do not disturb" on the reverse.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    You need to also leave a Bible in the drawer and a trouser press on the wall.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    I think buying toiletries is a nice gesture as the friend is only bringing carry on luggage so will be limited to what she can bring esp as she has to try and fit make up in with toiletries in her wee plastic bag so I wouldn't worry about giving her things like that

My experience is that most women are very particular about the toiletries they use so will bring their own. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone I was visiting to provide them for me.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that you, Monica Geller-Bing?!

I think it's really nice that you're doing all that for your friend, and I wouldn't take the frivolous comments to heart. It's way above and beyond what anyone would expect or is necessary, of course, but if that's your style and your personality then you shouldn't be put off from going the extra mile.

I think the only thing I'd ever expect when staying at someone's house is one clean towel, and clean bedding (or sleeping bag).
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    My experience is that most women are very particular about the toiletries they use so will bring their own. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone I was visiting to provide them for me.

Really? I'm more particular about what make up I take than what shampoo I'm going to use, can't fit everything into a plastic bag so I'd appreciate shampoo and conditioner, I wouldn't expect it but if it was offered I would be very grateful than trying to fit everything in
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she only has carry on luggage I think you're right to provide toiletries and towels. I'd also let her know that she can use your hairdryer/straighteners etc if necessary - it all saves on the luggage so she only needs to bring her clothes. :)
  • Angelica1973Angelica1973 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much for constructive comments, appreciate them and take them on board. It's August, it's SW France so it's cost her quite a bit of money on a so called budget airline to come for her one and only holiday in six years. She's had a rough year and I just wanted to make things nice for her, hassle free and make her feel special and welcome.

And "yes" to answer another poster, I have fixed up a facial and a pedicure for her by a pool (not mine, don't have one) as I have a friend who is a beauty therapist who does mates rates. If I can't do something nice for someone who has been a friend for years to me through thick and thin then there is something seriously lacking.

Thank you again to nice forum members (FM's)
    Forum Member
    Thank you Bendy Wendy, I've just covered that, good thinking !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are a very special friend. I hope she has a great holiday.
    Forum Member
    Right well she arrives in the morning and thanks to all your lovely advice, I think we've got it covered, Thank You so much
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you and your friend have a wonderful time :)
  • Get2ZahDoctahGet2ZahDoctah Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I would just leave a bottle of sparkling mineral water, a glass, and a small bowl of chocolate liqueurs on the bedside table.