Proms on TV 26 August 4pm

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    A trailer for Sherlock has already been released and the air date for that is much later than the 50th.
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Hope we get an extended version of the proms soon.
    From what I can gather, they missed out:

Carmen, and the bit with Matt and Jenna just before it when he says last time he heard Carmen, She (Clara) was a Dalek.

The Companions Suite: sad that was missed.

The Final Chapter of the Ponds: Really gutted this was missed.

Create a Soundtrack: feel sad for the winners of this that it wasn't on national television.

Song for Fifty: Seeing as this was the Prom exclusive, a bit miffed why this was missed other than time reasons.

Vale Decem: I can see why this was missed as it was on the last one, but seeing a few others from before were in, this is odd.

A mention of Dudley Simpson that got a huge round of applause.

And a couple other classical tracks.

Again I hope an extended version is shown soon, not holding out hope for it being on DVD as the previous proms on DVD were shortened, edited versions.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it. Shame about the trailer though...
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pacey200m wrote: »
    A trailer for Sherlock has already been released and the air date for that is much later than the 50th.

...and that teaser already occupies the same space in my mind as the DW S7 trailer six months before the actual event. Nice at the time, but adds little to the run up to the broadcast. Which a trailer tends to do... And I'm a big Sherlock fan.

This is a one-off piece of scheduling in November. I will be very surprised if anything runs on TV any time soon. It makes no sense. Fan service would be lovely in this year, sure, but in this instance, it's not affecting the way the BBC are promoting their shows.

Nor does it need to. Closed events are getting their early looks, as they always have. We just need to wait for the proper moment, as we always have.

That reminds me, did I miss the outcry over the Sherlock exclusive? Arguably worse, because they got a scene. Talk of a trailer today came out of wishful thinking alone and predictably will kick off another week of comments on the subject.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Just watched this on Iplayer...enjoyed it.

Sadly it seems the original series music doesn't stand up to a prom.
    good at it was at the time, it seemed to have completely lost the room and indeed me too.
    But then they weren't planning on their music being anything other than incidental music for a TV show were they, so maybe I'm being harsh :p
    (Would love to have seen the reaction on Delia Derbyshire's face if you told her some of her compositions might be played out at the proms and on national TV no less. bless her :p )

The only part of the original suite that worked imo was the 4th Doctor parts. The rest fell a trite flat.

I hope there is a way to hear the full concert...somewhere.
    Even if it can't be talked about in public ;)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this. It's great to see the kids reacting when the monsters come in (even the ones who're clearly not to sure about it and are hiding behind their mums). And I was so glad that the vampire babes were there!

Never expected a trailer, and wouldn't have welcomed one. I hate trailers and teasers in general.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this. It's great to see the kids reacting when the monsters come in (even the ones who're clearly not to sure about it and are hiding behind their mums). And I was so glad that the vampire babes were there!

Never expected a trailer, and wouldn't have welcomed one. I hate trailers and teasers in general.

I agree, if a trailer had been shown it still wouldn't change the fact you'd have to wait until November where by they'd have shown it so many times it would have become boring(which they'll probably do anyway in the weeks leading upto Nov 23rd)

:)
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Bit of a disapointment. Apart from all the "strange strange creatrures" there wasn't much from the first 4 series which contains my favourite music tracks. That bloody awfull wailing from The Rings Of Akhaten was dreadfull and just reminded me of what a poor episode that was. Nice to see Carol Ann Ford and Peter Davison and a connection with the classic series though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I was so disappointed to hear that murray gold was being kept on after the Rtd era. I found his music cheesy at best and embarrassingly melodramatic at worst. He ruined some nice moments for me. What happened? The music during the Moff era has been sublime at times.i had a theory that maybe some music stood out as it was trying to create atmosphere when there was none (see the doc and co running down a corridor in Waters of Mars to oh so exciting music..meh). All I can say is thank you for keeping him because it finally works for me.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it too. Especially the kids reacting to seeing their favourite alliens. Music helps set the mood for scary and sad moments. Hope the music for the 50 th and the christmas special will be just as good.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member
    Well save up your money, go to Comic-Con next year and you'll get to watch an exlusive Trailer for Series 8.

A new series produced in the space of 18 months? You're optimistic.