What happened to Sarah Michelle Gellar's career?

tommYHYHtommYHYH Posts: 162
Forum Member
I've just rewatched 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' and remember thinking that SMG used to be massive as an actress. She was the ultimate scream queen.

I always thought after the success of Buffy, that she would transcend into a big movie star but what actually happened to her career? She seemed to disappear quickly off the radar. Was it to have a family?

I also thought that Ringer would be a return to form, and personally I loved Ringer and it should have been renewed for a second series.

What's your favourite SMG movies?

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Maybe people realised that she wasn't any good.

Not sure why you think a scream queen would develop into a top actress?
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I take it you never watched Buffy then?
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    What happened? Pretty much Buffy came to an end, and that was largely the end of that.....
  • Gav 2.0Gav 2.0 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you think of some of the people she shared a screen with in those days, many of them have gone on to bigger and better things, so it's not the stupidest question in the world to ask - the likes of Reese Witherspoon, Ryan Phillipe, Selma Blair and Isla Fisher are all enjoying, relatively speaking, faar more successful careers.

Hell, even Jennifer Love Hewitt managed to score a Golden Globes nomination, and SMG is a faaar better actress than she is.

I guess it just came down to choosing bad projects really, in my mind she could have had a career similar to Naomi Watts in terms of transitioning from Scream Queen to legitimate actress, but she just picked the wrong roles. Glad to see her back on tv though, I think she did pretty good work in Ringer and I'm excited for The Crazy Ones!
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is returning to television with Robin Williams in a CBS comedy this fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz-8JoUQzE0
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMG was a phenomenal actress in Buffy. yes i know a lot of that will have been down to the acting, but she never less than great.

she made bad choices i think. actually IKWYDLS.. i thought both she and JLH were really good in it. their characters both had a little more depth than you find in teen horrors.

there was a tremendous amount of goodwill towards SMG when she left buffy. i remember going to see the grudge and it was packed with her fans
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member

Scream queen? She hasn't starred in that much horror.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be frank, she made some awful choices and then she got older and her previous fallback (horror) was no longer suitable for her. So back to TV with her. And it's really down to luck (rather than good choices) as to whether you succeed in that medium in the US.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people have a hard time seeing Sarah Michelle Gellar as anyone but Buffy Summers. James Van Der Beek has suffered the same problem since Dawson’s Creek ended a decade ago. I’m a fan of Buffy but even I’ll admit that Sarah was far from being the best actor on the show, she has a limited range that can often feel forced. She left Buffy with her sights set on the big screen and I think she probably thought that playing such an iconic television character was going to be enough to secure a successful movie career once the show had ended. Her two big hit films - Scooby Doo and The Grudge - weren't really hits because of her, she got lucky with those. Scooby Doo was a hit because it's a live action spin off film of the hugely popular cartoon. The Grudge was a hit because it was following the then popular trend of remaking Japanese films. She was probably part of the appeal of Cruel Intentions and I Know What You Did Last Summer but both of those were released at a time when teen films were making a big comeback at the box office. All the other films she's been a part of as the main lead role have either bombed or gone straight to DVD. She also turned down quite a few roles in well-received and popular films due to either not being interested or scheduling difficulties.

She does have the upcoming TV series The Crazy Ones, though the appeal for a lot of people is going to be Robin Williams more than anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had two children and probably prefers to be with them than trying to please people like you
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1)She wasn't THAT good. I really really like her, but Naomi Watts quality? Please. And I don't even rate Naomi massively but she's clearly got more range.

2)Well when was she ever BIG big? We aren't talking Demi Moore levels of movie roles, then falling off the face of the planet.

3)As said she had hits in younger or teen orientated films - literally nothing else. Not a problem at all but doesn't cut it at 36. That said, sticking with horror would have been fine and she certainly tried, but every choice was a bad one. Not her fault.

Has anyone seen The Return? Quite possibly the most boring film of all time, and when you've paid to see it at the cinema, it's just shocking how dreary it is. Of course it bombed. Should've been straight to DVD and clearly many of her stuff evidently is. Some sound interesting and she's had a good response in (Veronika Decides To Die, though I've not seen it) but the more flop films you're in, the less likely you are to get the roles, and coupled with the age thing in that she never managed to transcend the teen films successfully, it's no wonder she went back to TV - which is no bad thing.

However, she is AMAZING in Cruel Intentions, though it hardly requires top notch acting, but she fit the role perfectly, and likewise in "I Know What You Did Last Summer" where she also for me still has the best death scene (because it's so drawn out and you're willing her to survive) in any slasher film.

So yeah, I'm very fond, but it's easy to see how she's barely seen now..
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    SMG will always be to me the most beautiful woman on the planet, no one comes even close to her stunningness!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    tommYHYH wrote: »
    I've just rewatched 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' and remember thinking that SMG used to be massive as an actress. She was the ultimate scream queen.
    dee123 wrote: »
    Scream queen? She hasn't starred in that much horror.
    Ask the OP why they think that then
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jamie Lee Curtis is the ultimate Scream queen and her career hardly flopped outside of the horror genre.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    She had two children and probably prefers to be with them than trying to please people like you

That's a bit harsh. She is still persuing a career, so your comment doesn't really make sense. The OP is just wondering why she hasn't had the success she deserves.