Germany

James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
Forum Member
✭✭
Am off to Germany soon for about 4/5 days. Decided on a whim really, been stressed lately so me & partner decided to just piss off to Germany for a little break.

Err, any suggestions on things to do or places to visit whilst there?

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might help to know what part of Germany. It is a big country.
  • James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Might help to know what part of Germany. It is a big country.

Anywhere, that's what I am asking. We don't know ourselves yet, so am asking for suggestions.
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fly to Munich, spend a day or two there and also visit Dachau, then go to Garmisch Partenkirchen and take a cablecar up to see the view to Austria. Visit Oberammergau. Drive up the Romantischerstrasse from Neuenschanstein to Wurzburg. A selection of the best towns and sights in Germany. Ensure one you stop at is Rotenburg ob der Tauber (it is fantacstic). Fly home from Frankfurt.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigpod wrote: »
    Fly to Munich, spend a day or two there and also visit Dachau, then go to Garmisch Partenkirchen and take a cablecar up to see the view to Austria. Visit Oberammergau. Drive up the Romantischerstrasse from Neuenschanstein to Wurzburg. A selection of the best towns and sights in Germany. Ensure one you stop at is Rotenburg ob der Tauber (it is fantacstic). Fly home from Frankfurt.

I'd go with that. I spent a few days in Nuremberg recently, for the first time ever, and that was surprisingly nice too....
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of a trip to Cologne soon. I can't be bothered with the hassle of flying and getting to and from airports so will just take the Eurostar from St Pancras with a single change at Brussels.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Germany is the only country outside of the UK that I have so far visited in my life (I went to Portugal as a baby too... obviously I don't remember the experience). In 2006 I went to Berlin and a few surrounding towns...only for four days but we crammed a lot in :)

It was an amazing city... but then maybe I'm easily pleased? :p It has an expectedly rich history, and I'm not just talking about the war. But on that topic, there are some truly amazing things that are worth seeing - any decent tourist guide book can inform you of these, as I just wouldn't know where to begin.

If you like your history, or your art then it's a great place to go...a real culture there, and the people were incredibly polite. It's not bad for shopping and photo opportunities either. :D

Random note - just remember not to jaywalk. Cross the road only at crossings, and only when the green man is showing. It's considered both a safety thing, and to many people there as we found out the hard way is 'good manners' and 'respectful' :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A boat trip through the Rhine Valley between Ruedesheim and Bonn is a very pretty trip, as is a tour through the Eifel (a wooded hilly area) which is to the west of the river.

Regarding crossing roads, it is not just advisable to wait for the green man, in Germany it is the law.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In summer the Black Forest is excellent but I don't know if it would be such a good choice at this time of year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    If you're going to South Germany (Bavaria), then I definately agree that Nuremberg is worth a visit, but better still is the smaller, more picturesque town of Regensberg....about an hour from Munich & Nuremberg....
    Bavaria is a beautiful part of the world....lovely people, lovely scenery & great food too....(although not if you're a veggie...it's all meat, meat, meat..)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are in the northern part, and into animals, the bird zoo at Walsrode is worth considering.

It is located here between Hamburg and Hannover.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait til the end of November when the Christmas markets begin: Berlin has dozens, Munich a fair few. Nuremberg has the most famous.... all magical.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the "expanded" sense, you could go to Vienna (also has a great Xmas market) and it is very easy to go Bratislava and Budapest from there, if you want some real variety.

Don't let the Bavarians tell you about all their beers - they all taste the same!
  • highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to Berlin and get off your face on wheat beer and drugs. Place has a legendary nightlife. Try especially Kreuzberg and Mitte areas.