In jokes, nods to the past in the 50th Anniversary

rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
Forum Member
Just wondering how many spotted Doctor Who in jokes/nods to the past used in the 50th from previous Doctor's/seasons?

1. Reverse the polarity?
2. You've redecorated?

There are loads more........anyone?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3. Osgood wearing the 4th Doctor's scarf, and using it to get away from the Zygon in the same style.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I noticed Kamelion was in one of the photos on the board, along with Susan of course and Ian and Barbara. I was wondering what other characters did other people notice?
  • rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Was the Hurt Doctor's comment on the sonic screwdrivers 'building a cabinet at them' the same sort of thing Donna said once to 10?
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That the Cromer incident would be filed either under the 80s or the 70s depending on when the numbering system changed.

And, of course, Hurt's ears comment that flows into Eccleston's ears comment in Rose.
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    I noticed Kamelion was in one of the photos on the board, along with Susan of course and Ian and Barbara. I was wondering what other characters did other people notice?

Amy Pond in her black and white stripes, was immediately to the left of Clara, if I'm not mistaken.
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    the prominent ears remark,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I don't want to go." - "He always says that!"
    Forum Member
    4. The 11th Doctor referring disaparingly to his other two regenerations, calling them "Sand shoes" and "Grandpa" the way the 1st Doctor referred to the 2nd Doctor as a "clown" and the 3rd Doctor as a "dandy".

By the way, as an American, I understand the sand shoes remark refers to his sneakers but is there some special British significance to using the phrase "sand shoes"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    the whole timey-wimey thing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rettop70 wrote: »
    Was the Hurt Doctor's comment on the sonic screwdrivers 'building a cabinet at them' the same sort of thing Donna said once to 10?

Cap'n Jack had some line about him putting up shelves right back in his first story, which was also Moff's first writing for Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, of course the original episode broadcast date and time being the unlock code for the vortex manipulator. And the really obvious ones: Tennant's "I don't want to go" and his reprise of the Voyage of the Damned speech, this time to a rabbit to point out how completely unmotivated it was.
  • rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    the "this is wearing thin" remark from the first doctor
    Forum Member
    rettop70 wrote: »

I thought it had to do with Captain Jack asking the 9th Doctor something about what he could do with a screwdriver and the 9th Doctor said something about putting up a shelf. I'm not sure, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a throwaway reference to 'Malcolm' too, now I think about it — Lee Evans from Planet of the Dead, I assume.
  • BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Coal Hill School at the start where Clara was teaching.
  • sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Zygon home world being a casualty of the Time War. In the Terror of the Zygons, a Zygon told the 4th Doctor that their home world was destroyed in a "recent catastrophe".
  • Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Gin&Tonic wrote: »
    "I don't want to go." - "He always says that!"

Loved the way "I don't want to go" was also used in An Adventure In Space & Time"

The episode starting in Coal Hill School was another one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlueZane00 wrote: »
    Coal Hill School at the start where Clara was teaching.

I'm confused though: is Foreman's Yard next door now? Why did Ian & Barbara need to drive?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    The name of the Headmaster on the school sign was Mr I. Chesterton. It caught my eye straight away.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    The Doctor (ten- or whateverheisnow;):p) thought he knew that Elizabeth wasn't the right one (of the two) because she smelled different and her hair wasn't right. The same way he recognised Marthas clone.
  • kitthekatkitthekat Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    The title card and the opening 30 seconds were a replication of the first episode.
    Coal Hill School was the school that Ian and Barbara, the first companions, taught at.
    The Chair of Governors for the school was actually Mr. I. Chesterton on the school board.
    Clara rode her motorbike past a clock that was set to 5:15pm - the time the first ever episode aired.
    The Elizabeth I storyline was kind of ongoing from Ten's regeneration.
    The Doctor's horse - possibly a reference to The Girl in The Fireplace where he acquired a horse called Arthur.
    The Zygon detector - similar to the Doctor's "timey-wimey detector" in Blink, which "goes ding when there's stuff".
    Hurt's Doctor telling the others that their screwdrivers weren't water pistols referenced The Fire of Pompeii were the Doctor used a water pistol to fight off the pyrovore.
    The "round things" on the TARDIS interior were in the First Doctor's TARDIS.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    By the way, as an American, I understand the sand shoes remark refers to his sneakers but is there some special British significance to using the phrase "sand shoes"?
    Sandshoes is the proper name - they were originally developed as beachwear in the 1830s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    ^ Chair of Governors, not headmaster like I said!
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am definitely going to have to watch The Day Of The Doctor again.

And again and again and again. Lots to look out for.

:D
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    It'd been mentioned in another thread, but I imagine that the shot of Elizabeths (rather ample) cleavage during the picnic scene was a knowing nod (or a wink ;)) to this scene.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Space Telegraph the 4th Doctor had given to the Brigadier (who used it in Terror of the Zygons).

The Black Archive itself (actually mentioned in the SJA's rather than DW).

The Zygon home world being a casualty of the Time War. In the Terror of the Zygons, a Zygon told the 4th Doctor that their home world was destroyed in a "recent catastrophe".

Slight continuity error there as in Terror of the Zygons the Zygons only got word of their home world being destroyed in the 1970's (or was it the 80's) yet here the Zygons in 1562 knew about it.