The AGEISM against Jim

HectorMcClureHectorMcClure Posts: 1,754
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Absolutely disgusted by the way Jim is being smeared on here.

There seems to be a calculated campaign to paint Jim as some type of pervert. One poster today described him as a dirty old perv. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this comes down to ageism.

Jim and Casey are two adults who are enjoying some banter. We've saw similar banter throughout the series from various housemates.

I've lost count how many times someone has made a joke about the size of Dappy's you know what. Luisa, Ollie and others have all joined in. Jasmine told someone she'd like to stick her finger up their bum during sex. At one stage Casey asked Lee if he'd like a bj. On other occasions Lee has made playful comments about the size of her boobs. I don't remember reading similar outrage towards these housemates.

Why is it ok for the younger housemates to enjoy this type of banter but as soon as a 60 year old man does similar he's deemed an old perv?

Comments

• HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion, he's a perv!

He's played a great game!

He will win!
  • HectorMcClureHectorMcClure Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    In my opinion, he's a perv!

He's played a great game!

He will win!

Howcome Jim is a perv but the younger housemates who have enjoyed similar banter aren't?
  • Mrs VimesMrs Vimes Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't pay it any attention. I don't know how old you are, I am in my 60s and I still remember when the thought of my old wrinkly parents or any other old wrinkles have sex or talking about sex filled me with horror, nothing has changed . Sex is the preserve of the young and old wrinkles should know better. :D

Edit to add

When I say nothing has changed I don't mean I still think that way :blush:
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Agreed! Many posters here are clearly uncomfortable with older people having a sex drive. I find Lee Ryan and Dappy's behaviour far more sleazy and slimy.

Jim has the right to flirt like anyone else!!
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Agreed! Many posters here are clearly uncomfortable with older people having a sex drive. I find Lee Ryan and Dappy's behaviour far more sleazy and slimy.

He does!

But his caring for Casey? Nah!
  • onfencewithrachonfencewithrach Posts: 6,479
    Forum Member
    Jim's married and double her age.

Then there's his past (precedent) where he allegedly cheated on his wife with a sixteen year old while in his 30s... that someone posted a link to in another thread, which can be factored in or not.

Call it what you will, i'm a bit ageist then. I could be worse things i suppose. Honestly, i don't think i even have an issue being ageist if that means married 60 year olds not flirting with girls they double in age. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isnae a good look however you wanna disguise it.
  • bad-jojobad-jojo Posts: 1,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have read it was more the implications of his "incestuous" jokes that upset a lot of people, not because it was a sex joke per se but the daddy and daughter scenario.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nothing to do with ageism but more to do with inappropriate comments being made to a much younger woman. She would probably like to tell him to go away but is probably aware of what his response would be so says nothing.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just normal life. The older guys at my work joke around with the woman of all ages, some find it amusing, some find it pathetic and some like it in a sexual way... It's called perception and is harmless unless it causes offense to the woman in question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim's married and double her age.

Then there's his past (precedent) where he allegedly cheated on his wife with a sixteen year old while in his 30s... that someone posted a link to in another thread, which can be factored in or not.

Call it what you will, i'm a bit ageist then. I could be worse things i suppose. Honestly, i don't think i even have an issue being ageist if that means married 60 year olds not flirting with girls they double in age. :blush:

He is not hopping into bed with Casey for goodness sake!

Do you think people who are married suddenly stop having this type of banter?

Get real. It's just harmless fun. Nobody is betraying their marriage vows. It's called banter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL you won't change their minds, there are none so inflexible as the young. ;)
    Forum Member
    maxsi wrote: »
    This is just normal life. The older guys at my work joke around with the woman of all ages, some find it amusing, some find it pathetic and some like it in a sexual way... It's called perception and is harmless unless it causes offense to the woman in question.

Unless of course it's nothing like that, and instead... on Big Brother where observers are observing. :p :kitty:

This isn't his comedy show, he's not on stage... it's not some private exchange between people. It's Big Brother. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nothing to do with ageism but more to do with inappropriate comments being made to a much younger woman. She would probably like to tell him to go away but is probably aware of what his response would be so says nothing.

She is a 29 year old woman. Both of them are fully grown adults.

This is the same woman who asked Lee if he'd like a bj. She obviously enjoys this type of banter.

She's clearly a fun loving girl with a sense of humour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not uncomfortable at all, my parents are a similar age to Jim and still have an active sex drive. If my Dad made any suggestive remarks to a much younger woman I think my Mum would be very annoyed.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I completely agree it's ageism and not fair we have to also see being of a greater age brings benefits too, Jim and other older contestants have now and in the past got away with things the younger ones never would too. They are allowed to be grumpy at the noise and take themselves off alone whereas try that as a young person and you will get a of flack for being boring.
    Forum Member
    He is not hopping into bed with Casey for goodness sake!

Do you think people who are married suddenly stop having this type of banter?

Get real. It's just harmless fun. Nobody is betraying their marriage vows. It's called banter.

I wouldn't disrespect my wife in such a manner but that's me, then again i also wouldn't cheat on my partner either.

Is that the only "banter" that exists, is there no other "banter" to be had as a choice than sexual flirtations with a much younger lady? Especially when you have precedent in your past of this sort of thing to consider.

If in their private life his wife doesn't mind, and in Casey's private life she doesn't mind then that's their business, however... he signed up for Big Brother to be observed which isn't private. And i don't agree with/like his "harmless banter/flirting" within the context as an observer.

Age plays a part in it, i have no problem saying. Not the only factor though.
  • Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    Despite, or inspite of, all the campaigning by some on DS to stop Jim from winning, I really hope he does.

Incidentally, it seems to me that it is the younger contestants who have the pottiest mouths. Another thing, I bet if Jim didn't join in with the banter or whatever you want to call it, he'd soon be criticised by the same people for being a miserable old s*d.
  • WhitiaminWhitiamin Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and she is equally just as probably enjoying the attention now Lee has gone, Casey laughs and if she had a problem she would tun to the diary room as is her norm and cry and tell us all how unhappy she is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Whilst I completely agree it's ageism and not fair we have to also see being of a greater age brings benefits too, Jim and other older contestants have now and in the past got away with things the younger ones never would too. They are allowed to be grumpy at the noise and take themselves off alone whereas try that as a young person and you will get a of flack for being boring.

Not really, Aaron and Abz used to do that but I didn't see that many posts about them being boring lol.
  • NichoNicho Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The young are incredibly prudish and squeamish about any suggestion that older people have any kind of sexuality at all. They need to loosen up a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitiamin wrote: »
    and she is equally just as probably enjoying the attention now Lee has gone, Casey laughs and if she had a problem she would tun to the diary room as is her norm and cry and tell us all how unhappy she is.

Casey would never do that because she knows how nasty Jim can be if anyone crosses him. If Jim thinks he is a gentleman he should act like one.
  • WhitiaminWhitiamin Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you say its nothing to do with agism yet you are complaining about his comments to a much younger woman so you would be ok with his remarks if it was to a much older woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicho wrote: »
    The young are incredibly prudish and squeamish about any suggestion that older people have any kind of sexuality at all. They need to loosen up a bit.

That is simply not true, it is more to do with a much older married man making sexy suggestions to a younger woman. Now if Jim had made the same remarks to Linda she would have soon put him in his place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitiamin wrote: »
    you say its nothing to do with agism yet you are complaining about his comments to a much younger woman so you would be ok with his remarks if it was to a much older woman.

No but I think an older woman would be able to deal with him. I myself would find sexy remarks from an older man intimidating.