Options

What was so unique about Jai?

-Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To me, she sounded just like the first contestant who got put through (you know, the one who made SUCH a big deal about being rejected last time) and similar to other acts already out there (I can't name them but I've definitely heard them!).

It's the sort of voice that sounds very 'put on' rather than natural. And I really dislike the sound it creates.

Comments

• Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she had a very individual voice. I think she'll do well
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she had a very individual voice. I think she'll do well

Agree. The only properly individual voice I have heard so far.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sounded like she was singing with a sheep trapped in her throat.
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D.

"What was unique about Jai?"

Nothing.

Dreadful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I was really surprised they all turned for her, she sounded like Mickey Mouse to me. Individual, yes, I suppose, but not exactly pleasant to listen to - not very versatile either I shouldn't think. Nice lass though.
  • Options
    Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was unique?

She knows how to raise the back of her tongue to the roof of her mouth (to muffle), sing through her nose and use the rasp of her throat at the same time, whilst singing. It's not that unique and some variation of this vocal contortion (or others) is used by those trying to be 'unique'. Try it and you will make a very similar sound, as well as mess up your throat. It's not 'natural', and it's very affected.

She is trying to imitate the overall sound of the original, including the singers vocals as well as instrumental pitch. She has also ran with the original singers vocal/'quirky' edge that the original singer used sparingly (and only to emphasis occasional phrase) and ran with it through the whole of the song. To me, it sounds like an awful caricature.

But it got her noticed by the judges, good for her, and wish her all the best. I do question the judges expertise when they turn around for this. They either can't hear it or are looking for a gimmick. I'm surprised Tom turned, as he generally has the clearer ear for a voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greymarl wrote: »
    not very versatile either I shouldn't think. Nice lass though.

I wonder how well it will translate into other songs. Will need someone very clever to pick songs for her. But good luck to her.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought she was one of the better ones last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

not a very sensible comment is it?
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda_Dean wrote: »
    What was unique?

She knows how to raise the back of her tongue to the roof of her mouth (to muffle), sing through her nose and use the rasp of her throat at the same time, whilst singing. It's not that unique and some variation of this vocal contortion (or others) is used by those trying to be 'unique'. Try it and you will make a very similar sound, as well as mess up your throat. It's not 'natural', and it's very affected.

She is trying to imitate the overall sound of the original, including the singers vocals as well as instrumental pitch. She has also ran with the original singers vocal/'quirky' edge that the original singer used sparingly (and only to emphasis occasional phrase) and ran with it through the whole of the song. To me, it sounds like an awful caricature.

But it got her noticed by the judges, good for her, and wish her all the best. I do question the judges expertise when they turn around for this. They either can't hear it or are looking for a gimmick. I'm surprised Tom turned, as he generally has the clearer ear for a voice.

I value your assessment of her voice. Very simply, I think they turned because they thought many viewers would like her, in spite or even because of the things you say above, and thus would be an asset to their "team".
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Very simply, I think they turned because they thought many viewers would like her, in spite or even because of the things you say above, and thus would be an asset to their "team".
    Bearing in mind that the viewers are the ones who will be voting, this would seem to be a very sensible move on the part of the judges.

Whether she was sihging naturally or whether she used strange vocal technique, her voice stood out and sounded very different to the usual karaoke imitators.

I'm not sure if I would want to listen to an entire album of her singing, though. I thought the same about the girl with the strong Sheffield accent.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised that none of the coaches compared her to the lead singer of The Noisettes. You know, considering she was singing a Noisettes song and clearly tried to imitate the lead singer of The Noisettes.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I'm surprised that none of the coaches compared her to the lead singer of The Noisettes. You know, considering she was singing a Noisettes song and clearly tried to imitate the lead singer of The Noisettes.

Yeah I did think she sounded a lot like Shingai
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I value your assessment of her voice. Very simply, I think they turned because they thought many viewers would like her, in spite or even because of the things you say above, and thus would be an asset to their "team".

I agree with you, and of course it's all down to personal taste. It's not my taste, at least not yet, I'd need to hear how she copes with other songs. I could see how this vocal contortion could work for her in some songs and make her very memorable. She would need a very savvy coach/songpicker. It could also expose the poverty of this gimmick.

But I can't help but feel incredulity when 1) this generation (I'm not that far behind it!!!) thinks this reductionist nonsense is unique, original, and amazing, it isn't. When gimmicks like this are valued over talent and voice purity. Anybody who can hold a tune (or not) can sing like this, but not everyone who can sing like this can hold a tune.

2) Call a spade a spade – don't hype singers like this as 'new', 'unique', 'fresh', and the best thing since sliced bread. It's just a short term hook, a gimmick, something superficial but hyped up with false gravitas, until the next new thing. Some people believe this kind of hype and it helps culture a new generation of media illiterate people who can't identify the difference between substance and hype.

Very few things in the music industry are truly unique and original, and when they are, the rarely go mainstream, and are labelled as 'not commercial' until some manufacture popstar 'pays homage' to an element of it. Or until some scantily clad gyrating female singer takes elements from it and uses it in her act – and then thus hailed as a trend setter *sigh*. Nothing in the commercial pop industry is really 'unique', or 'avant garde', it's not about artistry. It's about finding a gimmick, and new selling angles, whilst still still conforming to the pre-existing commercial mould. If people wanted to really find unique talent, they wouldn't be watching shows like this. I watch the Voice as I like to hear good singing and am under no illusions about the shows chair swinging gimmick, or the goal of the show. But I resent them trying BS me with their 'trying to find a voice', trying to find the 'new and unique', and faux artistic integrity. Blah blah blah, it's just an entertainment show and they ARE trying to find someone commercial as possible. It's about the judges and the banter.

There's nothing wrong with gimmicks, and lots of good singers use them. But it's the reductionism combined with false hype of it that mildly irritates me.

Anyway, I digress. Good luck to the singer, hope it works for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that she only sang in that style because of the nature of the song that she was singing i'e like Shingai sings it for The Noisettes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I hate that style of "singing" and I hate when people say it is unique. It's not, we've heard it a hundred times on these shows and it's boring now. I thought she was terrible, which was a shame because she seemed nice enough and I wanted her to be good.
    I don't normally watch the show but I had the rugby on last night and just didn't change the channel. I like the judges but I thought all the singers were pretty awful to be honest.
  • Options
    mashitupmashitup Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    How a person attains the sound of their singing voice is immaterial to me! The bottom line, for me, is what they sound like!
    Plus, if I like their voice, personality, genre of music and their recordings. Then I may buy their records. :cool:
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just watched it back, i've no idea what the judges were hearing as all i got was strained affectation.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Having just watched it back, i've no idea what the judges were hearing as all i got was strained affectation.

And the judges encourage it. If someone just sings normally then they're criticised for not having an original enough voice. So we end up with increasingly cartoonish sounding voices.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like her voice at all. What was written on her chest? I couldn't read what it said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like most on here dont agree with the judges, but they are the ones that count at this stage of the show. Will be interesting to see how Jai goes if she reaches the live shows.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »

I agree. I watched it back to see what I'd missed first time round but, to my ears, it sounded absolutely horrible. I couldn't hear anything I liked about it at all.
  • Options
    caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    And the judges encourage it. If someone just sings normally then they're criticised for not having an original enough voice. So we end up with increasingly cartoonish sounding voices.

Cartoonish, love it:D
    I missed her performance as I only tuned in when the judges were fighting over her,and reading the comments on the live thread here as they did was very funny.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wasn't one of the better ones for me, nor a voice I could listen to for too long.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not a sensible comment as another poster said, but a very accurate description.
    Thought she was terrible. Heard better singing on Alvin and the Chipmonks.
    Sounded forced as well.