Options

Why don't they say where they really are?

Troy TateTroy Tate Posts: 63
Forum Member
The Seven Seas sponsored weather intro. They say they are at Bournemouth or, Newquay. They are at neither of these places.

An episode of The Inbetweeners was about a trip to Swanage, except they certainly were not there. It looked like a port along the Sussex or Kent coast perhaps.

Instead of saying an incorrect location, why don't they just say where they actually are instead? Why try and fool us?

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called dramatic licence.
  • Options
    Troy TateTroy Tate Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    It can be called anything but, Bournemouth is a real place so, why not go there or, say where they really are?
  • Options
    RichyHelloRichyHello Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Also in the Inbetweeners Movie it was 'set' in Malia but filmed in Magaluf...just set it in Magaluf, it's just as much of a party destination as Malia.
  • Options
    Monty_HallMonty_Hall Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By Any Means - set in London (complete with stock footage of landmarks), but filmed on the wild streets of Birmingham.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite on topic, but what exactly does that woman on the trampoline say? I always hear it as either "my tits are glowing" or "my teeth are glowing", but neither of those seem appropriate :confused:
    Troy Tate wrote: »
    Instead of saying an incorrect location, why don't they just say where they actually are instead? Why try and fool us?
    TV does this all the time. For example, all four series of Heroes were filmed in California. They never went to New York, let alone Japan or India.

And Sherlock's flat is on North Gower St, not Baker St as they claim in the show. In some street shots you can see University College Hospital in the background.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »

TV does this all the time. For example, all four series of Heroes were filmed in California. They never went to New York, let alone Japan or India.

And Sherlock's flat is on North Gower St, not Baker St as they claim in the show. In some street shots you can see University College Hospital in the background.

And don't get me started on Doctor Who... :o
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    I hate it when the London Underground is featured in a TV drama or a film and the stations they use are not the ones they are trying to portray, or characters get on to trains and lines that have nothing to do with each other. As a London resident I sit there going "That journey he/she's made is actually impossible to do" whilst getting really annoyed about it!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty_Hall wrote: »
    By Any Means - set in London (complete with stock footage of landmarks), but filmed on the wild streets of Birmingham.

And, like most reasons for filming somewhere else, cheaper (sometimes due to local grants, sometimes due to local labour), and/or easier to get filming licences or to close off streets.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I hate it when the London Underground is featured in a TV drama or a film and the stations they use are not the ones they are trying to portray, or characters get on to trains and lines that have nothing to do with each other. As a London resident I sit there going "That journey he/she's made is actually impossible to do" whilst getting really annoyed about it!

As a London resident I'm sure you'd be far more annoyed if a major tube station you used to commute to work was closed for a few days so the BBC could film a TV show....
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An episode of The Inbetweeners was about a trip to Swanage, except they certainly were not there. It looked like a port along the Sussex or Kent coast perhaps.

I agree. Why have actors in a drama about the Tudors say it's several centuries ago when it's not? Bloody deceptive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    As a London resident I'm sure you'd be far more annoyed if a major tube station you used to commute to work was closed for a few days so the BBC could film a TV show....

Yeah - they now have a couple of spare stations (Charing Cross Jubilee Line and Aldwych), and they will always be used before they go around shutting any live stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And, like most reasons for filming somewhere else, cheaper (sometimes due to local grants, sometimes due to local labour), and/or easier to get filming licences or to close off streets.

I dunno what would have been that bad about setting it in Brum?

Does all dramatic Police action have to be in London?
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »

Yes I know I would be! Its just one of those trivial things that makes me a bit mad!
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll never forget when we were watching an episode of The Bill and one of the police cars was going down the main road about two minutes away from our house. Then there was a scene inside the station, and when they returned to the car a minute or so later it was going past my late Dad's work. He smiled and said "I wish I could get to work as fast as that every day"!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Seven Seas sponsored weather intro. They say they are at Bournemouth or, Newquay. They are at neither of these places.

It would get a bit confusing if different scenes in the film, all supposedly in the same town, were shot in different towns as is often the case. Especially when exterior scenes are shot somewhere like Budapest and interior scenes in the UK, again as can happen.

People tend to only get fussy about places they know personally and are prepared to accept glaring errors that others will notice.

It would put an end to various quarries being used as sets for other worlds in Dr Who.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amused by ITV's Broadchurch, the beach and cliff scenes were shot on the Dorset coast, at West Bay (near Bridport). The town centre and housing estate scenes in Clevedon, on the Bristol Channel coast, rather than Bridport.

However there was one coastal scene at sunset, that was shot at Clevedon, and consequently the sun was in the wrong direction, compared with morning shots that were shot at West Bay :D
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curiously very little of Last Tango in Halifax was shot in Halifax,a car park in Skipton doubled for a car park in Halifax which seemed a little strange as there are plenty of car parks in Halifax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it comes to US television, it could even the country that is wrong.

For example, Suits is set in New York, but actually filmed in Canada. Seemed to recall it was similar for most of the Star Gate themed series - set in the US, but actually filmed in Canada.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

For example, Suits is set in New York, but actually filmed in Canada. Seemed to recall it was similar for most of the Star Gate themed series - set in the US, but actually filmed in Canada.

I believe Suits shoots exteriors in New York and does studio based work and the odd outdoor scene in Canada...
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alot of ITV idents between 2006 and 2013 was set in South Africa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Suits shoots exteriors in New York and does studio based work and the odd outdoor scene in Canada...

Not sure. My reading had suggested that whilst there were some location shots in NYC these were only inserted to give the feeling of the correct location. The vast majority - including outside was actually in Toronto.
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Psych is set in Santa Barbara, California but filmed in British Colombia, Canada and there are scenes where the Canadian flag can be seen flying.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the streets near us is used for filming all the time. I have spotted it all over the UK and in one TV show the stars came out of the front door and ended up somewhere up North.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    It often amuses me when Rhod Sharp, who presents Up All Night on R5 Live from New England where he lives, tries to obscure that fact. Not always, but usually - especially when phone-in listeners (or Dr. Karl in Oz!) raise matters that relate to current events e.g. weather in the UK. He tends to change the subject and quickly move on but I wish he wouldn't!

Perhaps the BBC is concerned that some listeners might complain about it if they found out that their phone calls from the UK were being discussed with a presenter in the US and a guest in Sydney!
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the starting sequence of the Andrew Marr show on Sunday mornings, when he drives his moped on some madcap route from Lambeth Palace, to Langham St next to Broadcasting House, then for some reason goes back across the Thames at Westminster Bridge into Lambeth, obviously changes his mind and crosses Lambeth Bridge (next to Lambeth Palace where he started) to go north along the Embankment opposite the Eye, around Piccadilly Circus, then back to the courtyard of Broadcasting House about 200 metres from where he was several shots ago.

Mind you, compared to that bus chase scene in The Mummy where they seem to go around Russell Square several times in order to get from the British Museum to Tower Bridge I suppose Andrew Marr's route makes perfect sense :p