Film plotholes you cant stop thinking about

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, a film with *huge* plotholes, that I don't think has been mentioned yet: Elysium

But, I can stop thinking about it, because it was awful and forgettable.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    is this 'iphone-speak' ?
    I think it's just jibberish
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surprised no one has mentioned Skyfall. Not just one of the most commercially successful Bonds of recent years plus one of the most critically acclaimed, despite the fact it is riddled with plotholes that completely ruined it for me.

Loads to mention, incuding:

Baddie blows up MI5 so they have to go to back up digs because he knew he was going to be caught and so could escape !
    The baddie could, by his own admission, have taken out M at any time but instead decides to take her in in the middle of court !
    The said court, containing the head of the secret service, seems to have very little security.
    Finally after a 10 minute chase through London, including in and out of tubes etc the very moment Bond has him, the baddie sets off a bomb. How the hell did he manage to pre-plan to put a bomb there !! He certainly did not have time or equipment to set it up himself whilst being chased. On top of which he plans it so bomb goes off just as a tube train arrives - mysteriously empty of passengers !!

Completely ruined the film for me.
    All Bond villians are fundamentally idiots.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Viridiana;71706004]The Island, the whole idea of the film is one massive plothole. So you are a society so advanced that you can create clones that grow at super speed velocity, but to cure diseases the best thing you came up to is to do transplants the old way, gory, bloody and all. And kill the poor clones. Absurd. One of the worst films I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

That film was a complete flop.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the original 'The Italian Job', why did they drive onto the roof of the Fiat factory? Aside from it looking cool, I mean? They had a carefully planned escape route. Was that part of it? And if so, why?
  • Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    The one in that film where they all had to go underground and she as newspreader and she got picked but there was a small boy who I think was elijah wood

The film is Deep Impact. But what are the plot holes?
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Not a plothole, but always annoyed me that in back to the future 3, seamus's wife (and martys gg grandmother) looked exactly like marty's mother, even though the 2 are totally unrelated.
    Or perhaps they are related and the mcflys and bains were inter-marrying throughout the years.;-)
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    The one in that film where they all had to go underground and she as newspreader and she got picked but there was a small boy who I think was elijah wood

Was I the only one thinking Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Until the Elijah Wood part that is.
  • jimjohn63jimjohn63 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Surprised no one has mentioned Skyfall. Not just one of the most commercially successful Bonds of recent years plus one of the most critically acclaimed, despite the fact it is riddled with plotholes that completely ruined it for me.

Loads to mention, incuding:

Baddie blows up MI5 so they have to go to back up digs because he knew he was going to be caught and so could escape !
    The baddie could, by his own admission, have taken out M at any time but instead decides to take her in in the middle of court !
    The said court, containing the head of the secret service, seems to have very little security.
    Finally after a 10 minute chase through London, including in and out of tubes etc the very moment Bond has him, the baddie sets off a bomb. How the hell did he manage to pre-plan to put a bomb there !! He certainly did not have time or equipment to set it up himself whilst being chased. On top of which he plans it so bomb goes off just as a tube train arrives - mysteriously empty of passengers !!

Completely ruined the film for me.

Yes,why did he need to set up all those elaborate ruses to be caught,then have to escape to continue with his plan.
    Could he not of just come to London and got a police uniform?
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Die Hard 2 - Obviously they're not interested in realism in these films but this took the cake.

No one could use an outside phone to get in touch with other airports to notify them about what's going on.

Instead of the planes going to land at another airport they just circle around wasting fuel while they're given the go ahead to land at Dulles lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They couldn't go to another airport.

Other nearby airports were sending their planes *to* Dulles because of the weather & runway conditions, plus the planes at Dulles didn't have the fuel to go further to somewhere that was actually safe to land.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not so much a film but a series.

'The Walking Dead'. When people get bitten, they change into these zombies which then attempt to bite other people

The problem is that whenever zombies come into contact with humans, they rip them into shreds and eat them until they are just bone. So where have all these intact zombies come from? Why when they were bitten were they then not ripped to shreds?
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'The Walking Dead'. When people get bitten, they change into these zombies which then attempt to bite other people

The problem is that whenever zombies come into contact with humans, they rip them into shreds and eat them until they are just bone. So where have all these intact zombies come from? Why when they were bitten were they then not ripped to shreds?

In TWD, much like in any Romero movie, anyone who dies becomes a zombie, unless they are killed by severe head trauma.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Not a plothole, but always annoyed me that in back to the future 3, seamus's wife (and martys gg grandmother) looked exactly like marty's mother, even though the 2 are totally unrelated.
    Or perhaps they are related and the mcflys and bains were inter-marrying throughout the years.;-)

In reality, they just didn't want to do a BTTF movie without Lea Thompson, and I can understand that.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do not read if you plan to watch The Walking Dead some day or haven't seen the last/finale episode of series 2 yet:
    All living people are infected with the Walker virus. When one dies from any cause (shot, illness, etc.), it automatically turns into a zombie. Hence, some being physically intact and unbitten. By the time they encounter other zombies, they're too dead for any zombie to devour.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    They couldn't go to another airport.

Other nearby airports were sending their planes *to* Dulles because of the weather & runway conditions, plus the planes at Dulles didn't have the fuel to go further to somewhere that was actually safe to land.

All planes are required to have at least an extra hour of fuel, and that would be a few hundred miles at least.The pilot's the ultimate authority,not the control tower.They wouldn't just fly around waiting to run out of fuel.It's just poor writing to keep Maclane's wife in the air. And if other airports were sending their planes to Dulles because of the weather that makes the movie even more flawed because the terrorists had the general's escape planned for months and isn't it the snowstorm they are relying on for their plan?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, yeah, that's even worse! The entire plan was utterly dependent on that particular day having such awful weather that taking control of the runway lights and the ILS would enable them to get what they wanted...
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantasic Voyage: The crew of the Proteus escape before they return to normal size but the smashed up submarine is left behind to enlarge inside the head of the unfortunate Dr. Benes.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    The War Of The Worlds remake. The aliens' equipment was underground on earth the entire time? Nobody ever discovered them? Riiiiight. And if this was all done before humans were ever on planet earth, then why not just take over the planet there and then? Aside from that glaring plothole, I enjoyed the film, but it's not a patch on the original.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Twilight.....

- Why do the vampires even bother going to school? They could all easily pass for adults, and surely going to school everyday would increase the chance of being exposed as non-human.

- Why does no one else notice that the Cullens have shining yellow eyes?

- If the Cullens go to school on an overcast day, and it gets sunny later, do they just run out of the school? Wouldn't their teachers be suspicious at such behaviour? Same applies to Carlisle Cullen, who apparently maintains a medical career only on days when it's cloudy. Wouldn't all the Cullens be under suspicion for being absent from school and work so often?

- How does Jasper manage to control his vampiric urges despite attending a school filled with menstruating girls?

- How did Edward Cullen's sperm survive 100 years in his testicles? Did his sperm turn into vampires too?

- How come the wolf boys not arouse suspicion when they walk around in the cold Pacific Northwest wearing no shirts?

- Why didn't the Cullens simply kill the red-eyed vampires on the baseball field? They outnumbered them nearly 3 to 1.

I don't think the teen fangirls, at whom Twilight is aimed, really care...:D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    The War Of The Worlds remake. The aliens' equipment was underground on earth the entire time? Nobody ever discovered them? Riiiiight. And if this was all done before humans were ever on planet earth, then why not just take over the planet there and then? Aside from that glaring plothole, I enjoyed the film, but it's not a patch on the original.

I hate this movie in so many ways. A loser trying to dump his kids on his ex-wife and their much cooler stepfather. A girl who is constantly screaming, and an idiot son who drives a car into a mob of angry rioters and runs TOWARDS the alien death machines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was rooting for the aliens in that. I hated Cruise's character, and hated his stupid children even more.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    The undeground martian machines were (I think) a pretty clumsy terrorist metaphor.

BIB - if you recall the scene with Cruise & others trapped in the basket, it's there to explain how the aliens needed to harvest humans to create the red weed in order to fertilise the planet - a sort of terraforming. (Martian researchers must've skimmed carlessly through the chapters on earth's germs, bacteria etc).

I hated it, btw. A terrific book made into a pretty awful film that wastes its premise and is primarily there to show off Cruise doing his usual schtick - proving he's a good father, a bit of a hero, the right man to beat the odds etc.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    die another day ,,,,,, yes that shit shower that dared to call itself a bond film

even if ,,,, and its a very lenient if ,,,,,, even if we allow an invisible car ,,,,,,when james is doing his thing in the ice palace , how is it that nobody physically bumped into his car parked outside ?
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    The film is Deep Impact. But what are the plot holes?
    Not so much 'plot holes' as such, but that movie was so badly riddled with what I suppose you could call 'science-holes', I'd find it hard to decide where to start.

There were one or two nice touches though, and at least it wasn't as bad as 'Armageddon'.