Options

Wallpaper - where DO they find it?

silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
I was just wondering what viewers thought of the wallpaper shown in the various homes of Emmerdale, East Enders and Corrie. I find much of it really makes me cringe, especially that with the parrots on EE. Whoever decides to 'redecorate' now and again really doesn't seem to have a clue as to what would be suitable wallpaper/decor. Some of it has been around for yonks. Are we meant to believe that many of the residents are so broke that they don't ever consider brightening the place up? Which would you consider to be the worst wallpaper/decor example on any of these three soaps at this present time?

Comments

• Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The orange wallpaper at Home Farm was so hideous, it always distracted me what the actors were saying. And to make matters worse they had the same patterned wallpaper as a lampshade too.
    Ugh
    I was never more glad to see Home Farm burn down again. It got rid of that awful egg shaped fruit bowl with holes in it too
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, I was thinking that. Kats leopard print carpet and pink walls are particularly bad.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where on earth did they get the parrot wallpaper in the upstairs lounge in the Vic? It's truly awful.
    I know not everyone's the same but some of the rooms are pretty drab, take where Jimmy and Nicola live, grey, drab rooms.
    Although I'm all for bright colours some go too far
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »
    The orange wallpaper at Home Farm was so hideous, it always distracted me what the actors were saying. And to make matters worse they had the same patterned wallpaper as a lampshade too.
    Ugh
    I was never more glad to see Home Farm burn down again. It got rid of that awful egg shaped fruit bowl with holes in it too

I loved that fruit bowl - though I was delighted to see the plastic things on the wall melt and all of the horrible 'Katie' interior design be burnt to a crisp. The blue lounge with blue furnishings was also vile.

Hopefully now Home Farm will have a classic stately home makeover.

I find the wallpaper in Emmerdale hilarious - Debbie always has pink, Katie has green and yellow, and Vanessa decorates like an old fashioned old lady. Her furniture looks like she bought it at a flea market.
  • Options
    Julie_SmithJulie_Smith Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Where on earth did they get the parrot wallpaper in the upstairs lounge in the Vic? It's truly awful.
    I know not everyone's the same but some of the rooms are pretty drab, take where Jimmy and Nicola live, grey, drab rooms.

I love that parrot wallpaper,its so camp
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Believe it or not some of it is expensive. The stuff in Jannine's house was from John Lewis, same with the stuff that used to be in Gennie and Nikhil's house.
  • Options
    Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Vanessas furniture and décor, It's interesting!

I happen to have the huge metal clock thing that used to hang on a wall in Dom's house before he moved into Vanessas... it's ace!

I also LOVED the white Home Farm fruit bowl, wasn't soo keen on all the art in the Katie era, or the pinball machine in the lounge!
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    I loved that fruit bowl - though I was delighted to see the plastic things on the wall melt and all of the horrible 'Katie' interior design be burnt to a crisp. The blue lounge with blue furnishings was also vile.

Hopefully now Home Farm will have a classic stately home makeover.

I find the wallpaper in Emmerdale hilarious - Debbie always has pink, Katie has green and yellow, and Vanessa decorates like an old fashioned old lady. Her furniture looks like she bought it at a flea market.

"You bought your sheets at a flea market? Loosen the purse strings a little" :D:D

Moira's is Gawd awful there's just no character at all, she's had the same bedsheets since they moved in and I have noticed she always making the bed up with the same ones but maybe with this new deal she can buy another set. I actually really like the Dingles though, it's quite earthy, tacky and full of clutter my type of living space.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I think someone at Easties was poking fun at us with the parrots, imo
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,730
    Forum Member

Jimmy and Nicola's is the same since Louise and Ray lived there about 13 years ago!!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated the green jungle pattern that used to be in Phil Mitchell's house.

I hate Chesney's house with the multicoloured walls. Tyrone's house, I know he loved Jack and Vera but it's 2014, get that stinky crap off the walls.

I always hated the hideous blue on the Masood's walls too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely hated the huge leaf patterned green wallpaper in Emmerdale. Not sure of the house. Donald DeSousa lived there at one time, and later on the Sharmas.
    On Pobol Y Cwm in Eileens shop flat, there is a large pink blanket over one of her couches. I loved the design so much I hunted down a knitting pattern for it and started knitting it,
    :)
  • Options
    sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »
    On Pobol Y Cwm in Eileens shop flat, there is a large pink blanket over one of her couches. I loved the design so much I hunted down a knitting pattern for it and started knitting it,
    :)

Oh but much of the wallpaper in Pobol Y Cwm is quite hideous. Gaynor and Hwyel's purple lounge. The purple wallpaper with silver fans was super hideous. I also remember when the salon flat had the bubbled and puckered wallpaper that the set designers didn't bother to hang correctly.

This is an excellent thread. I often wonder where the set designers find this wallpaper that they use. Its so hideous! Is it excess stock that was going to gotten rid of but instead gets donated to soaps?
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I hated the green jungle pattern that used to be in Phil Mitchell's house.

That's what drove Ben to murderous tendencies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sderr123 wrote: »
    Oh but much of the wallpaper in Pobol Y Cwm is quite hideous. Gaynor and Hwyel's purple lounge. The purple wallpaper with silver fans was super hideous. I also remember when the salon flat had the bubbled and puckered wallpaper that the set designers didn't bother to hang correctly.

This is an excellent thread. I often wonder where the set designers find this wallpaper that they use. Its so hideous! Is it excess stock that was going to gotten rid of but instead gets donated to soaps?
    sderr...i`ve always hated the white dotted diamond in brown background wallpaper in Gwyneths (now Sheryls) house. It used to make me feel depressed just looking at it.
    I love Meics house, it`s very tasteful. I love the green flecked pattern in that couch too,
    I`m guessing the PYC designers got a load of wallpaper kept back from the 1970`s. At least that`s one way they`re saving money!
    :D
  • Options
    LynchpinLynchpin Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same wallpaper as Dev in Corrie has in his lounge( although mine has blue flowers and his are green) Several of my friends have also picked the same pattern, in different colours. Must have been on special offer at B&Q:D

I don't watch ED, but my sister-in-law has just bought the same stripy green wallpaper that's been seen on the programme.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I love that parrot wallpaper,its so camp

That's the point of it isn't it? That Lynda who has such a problem with her son being gay as such camp tastes.

I loved when they poked fun at it several years ago and had Pat redecorate her house with identical wallpaper to that which had just been taken down.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I'm ashamed to admit I have the same cushions as Sally Webster in Corrie although hers are the 'eggshell' shade and mine are beige and navy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Janine had nice w''paper at hers, wasn't it blue with flowers on..she had nice taste lol
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders design department's work would suggest a hallucinogenic influence
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    As the original poster, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hates some of the decor. My trouble is that I can't remember (old age I'm afraid) where or who's house I noticed it so I shall have my kindle open on this page and write it as I see it on the TV!!

Keep 'em coming!!
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    As the original poster, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hates some of the decor. My trouble is that I can't remember (old age I'm afraid) where or who's house I noticed it so I shall have my kindle open on this page and write it as I see it on the TV!!

Keep 'em coming!!

:D Ha ha, me too. I always notice décor but am hard pushed to think of them now.

I know I can't stand Tyrone's lounge. Not only is everything - EVERYTHING - in it incredibly ugly, not a one of the ugly items matches another ugly item. There's just no need for it. I know they're meant to be on a budget but come on! There's no need to spend what meagre budget you have on so many ugly, ill-matching things! If you really must, go and buy ugly matching things fgs.

Oh, Nikhil and Jenni's place. Decorated in a teal colour I think. Quite inoffensive. Apart from the RED lamp. Red! Why?! I have seen that same lamp in teal all over the place. In fact I think Nicola might have had one in the wee place she shared with her dad.

I care too much. :cry::blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esther had nice anime wallpaper in her room (Hollyoaks).
    They did it well, Esther and Ruby shared a room, Esther's half was anime wallpaper and Ruby's half was red, can't remember if it was paint or wallpaper.