Subtitles in foreign-language films

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
How do you feel about having a non-musical film's soundtrack subtitled in films?

Do you believe knowing the lyrics of a song during a scene would make a difference in how you view the scene?

For films like Blue Spring that use songs to explain actions or decisions in certain scenes, I do think it makes a difference, but in most cases, it's best to leave the songs untranslated.

What do you think?

Comments

• balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean musicals or films in general.

In both cases it comes down to who translates.

Takae, you have a interest in Asian cinema, how did "Doe a Deer" become "Doe a Doughnut"....:confused:
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    How do you feel about having a non-musical film's soundtrack subtitled in films?

Do you believe knowing the lyrics of a song during a scene would make a difference in how you view the scene?

For films like Blue Spring that use songs to explain actions or decisions in certain scenes, I do think it makes a difference, but in most cases, it's best to leave the songs untranslated.

What do you think?
    BIB - This. If it's necessary to understand the lyrics in order to follow the plot, or it explains someone's actions, then ideally they should be translated, however if the song is there purely to enhance the scene, then leave it alone, as sub-titles will be an un-necessary distraction. One of my favourite examples is Ancora Qui, from Django Un- chained. I've got no idea what's being sung and I don't want to know.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    balthasar wrote: »
    Do you mean musicals or films in general.

In both cases it comes down to who translates.

Takae, you have a interest in Asian cinema, how did "Doe a Deer" become "Doe a Doughnut"....:confused:

Films in general.

:confused: I'm not sure what you mean?
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I greatly prefer it when films have subtitles rather than being dubbed.