Fifteen to One starts again next Saturday

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Well, Morpurgo isn't really known as a poet. I haven't minded any of the "lenient" decisions others have objected to in this thread, but Children's Poet Laureate is just wrong, goshdarnit.

He was Children's Laureate, not Poet Laureate. The Children's Laureate goes to a popular and successful children's writer or illustrator. Of course, they might write poetry as well, but that isn't what the title is about. Obviously they're often confused, because Poet Laureate is better known.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was Children's Laureate, not Poet Laureate. The Children's Laureate goes to a popular and successful children's writer or illustrator. Of course, they might write poetry as well, but that isn't what the title is about. Obviously they're often confused, because Poet Laureate is better known.

I know, George, that's what I was saying :p
    Forum Member
    I know, George, that's what I was saying :p

Oh sorry, I get you now. Duh! :confused: Sorry, it's late and I haven't got to that episode yet.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Oh sorry, I get you now. Duh! :confused: Sorry, it's late and I haven't got to that episode yet.

Yeah, George is still working his way through the earlier parts, so we'd better be careful about putting spoilers in our posts. Absolutely nobody must tell him about the 12th episode, where Toksvig stabs one of the contestants to death, just as they're about to expose David Stainer as her love child, and..

Oh bugger. I've just wrecked that for him now... Sorry George! :blush:
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    Yeah, George is still working his way through the earlier parts, so we'd better be careful about putting spoilers in our posts. Absolutely nobody must tell him about the 12th episode, where Toksvig stabs one of the contestants to death, just as they're about to expose David Stainer as her love child, and..

Oh bugger. I've just wrecked that for him now... Sorry George! :blush:

It's fine. I don't pay much attention to the discussion of the actual progress of contestants on here. It's basically my responsibility to avoid looking at things like that if I don't want them spoiled, and I'm here at my own risk on things like that. After the Grand Final, I'm going to stop coming on here until I've seen it.
  • SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the Grand Final, I'm going to stop coming on here until I've seen it.

After the Grand Final,everybody will stop coming on here. The thread will be put back in the Digital Spy vault,only to be brought out again in the unlikely event that Channel 4 commissions another series,
  • DSmanDSman Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His answer was Crime Prosecution Service.
    Ah, thanks very much ellie-wellie, must wash my ears out.!
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well,he's 78 now. Not that that should be a bar to him presenting it,Brucie was doing Strictly at the age of 86.
    I would be interested to know if they even asked him if he wanted to come back for the revival,or if he was immediately dismissed as being "too old."

Of course he might not have wanted to do it anyway. I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have wanted to do it when they told him it was now an hour.

"And how are you going to pad a half an hour show out to an hour?"
    "Well,we'll be having lots more chat with the contestants,you know,gettting to know them.."
    "Yes.."
    "And after each question the host gives an interesting fact,or bit of trivia about it."
    "What for? What's the matter with just giving the answer?"
    "But it makes it much more interesting and informative for the viewers this way."
    "Does it. Okay. Anything else?"
    "Well,we'll have two more ad breaks. And we'll also be having.."
    "Well good luck with it. But I think I'll give it a miss."

Of course that conversation is a figment of my imagination,and never took place.
    Channel 4 Production editors meeting. 10.15am.

"How's Fifteen to One doing?"
    "Not good. Shipped another two hundred thousand viewers yesterday. Down to less than half a million now."
    "Projection?"
    "We project if it continues to lose viewers at this rate,we'll be down to forty-five for the final."
    "Forty-five thousand. That's bad. Very bad."
    "No,not forty-five thousand. Forty-five. Forty-five viewers."
    "And tell me where that projection comes from?"
    "Well,if each player that's in the final watches it with two friends or members of their family,then that's.."
    "Forty-five. So you're saying that NOBODY else will watch it?"
    "No,everybody else will be watching Tipping Point and The Chase."
    "Tipping Point. Have you ever watched that? It's just Penny Falls! Like at the shows!"
    "Yes. I know."
    "Don't you just love the great British public?"

The above conversation is another figment of my imagination and never took place. But it was fun to write.

Just diving about the thread at random. Have to say I like your imaginary conversations...:)

Anyway, using the skip button on my PVR, I can now get through an episode of 15-to-1 and an episode of Come Dine With Me in an hour...
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've forgotten his name, but I found the bloke who kept abjectly apologising for nominating someone really annoying. I'm glad he got his come-uppance in the final.

(Adrian it was - just checked on 4OD)
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I've forgotten his name, but I found the bloke who kept abjectly apologising for nominating someone really annoying. I'm glad he got his come-uppance in the final.

(Adrian it was - just checked on 4OD)

Yes, I found that rather irritating. I think I heard the word 'afraid' about 30 times in the whole show!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Just diving about the thread at random. Have to say I like your imaginary conversations...:)

Thank you. I've been trying to think of another one but nothing's come to mind so far. Suggestions are welcome..
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed that several of the questions seem to be on Greek Mythology. Can we have a bit more variety please!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Morpurgo isn't really known as a poet. I haven't minded any of the "lenient" decisions others have objected to in this thread, but Children's Poet Laureate is just wrong, goshdarnit.

In today's episode - aww! Was sad when Paul got knocked out! Didn't think much of Adrian's "ruthless" technique - especially that he seemed to be consciously picking off the women first. Was so happy Martin pipped him to the post! Made for a very tense final.

Sandi getting snarky at the all-male list on the note on Footlights was also excellent :)

Hello! I'm Martin from yesterday's episode. I'm so vain, I'm sifting through all the forums and Twitter to see if I've been mentioned. So far it's all been rather positive!

Everyone, feel free to criticise my performance. "I knew that", etc. :)
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a guy who designed a 15-1 website and wanted geography questions gets one on his first question?
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello! I'm Martin from yesterday's episode. I'm so vain, I'm sifting through all the forums and Twitter to see if I've been mentioned. So far it's all been rather positive!

Aww, it's nice to have contestants on the thread! Well done on getting on the show!

It was really interesting how they included Rachael's partner in the nomination rounds. I think she's been on a few quiz shows before, always with fab pink hair - so happy she won :)
  • haggishantshaggishants Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Aww, it's nice to have contestants on the thread! Well done on getting on the show!

It was really interesting how they included Rachael's partner in the nomination rounds. I think she's been on a few quiz shows before, always with fab pink hair - so happy she won :)

She's been on University Challenge and Mastermind.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm more interested in the audition process. It used to be a very rigorous general knowledge quiz on the old 15 To 1 and nothing else - no concern whether you've got a bubbly personality or such nonsense. What does the current audition process consist of, and are you encouraged to provide chit chat during the show?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the audition process. It used to be a very rigorous general knowledge quiz on the old 15 To 1 and nothing else - no concern whether you've got a bubbly personality or such nonsense. What does the current audition process consist of, and are you encouraged to provide chit chat during the show?

From what I remember of my audition, we did a run-through of round one. There was also an extremely difficult written test and we were told that 75% of the decision to cast contestants on the show would be based on our performance on this, and the rest on a brief interview to camera. I believe the selection process was very fair - there've been people with all sorts of quizzing abilities on the programme and plenty that didn't appear to have a 'bubbly personality'.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Martin...no, I don't remember. Which round did you go out in?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that several of the questions seem to be on Greek Mythology. Can we have a bit more variety please!?

Another one today. It's a staple of these sort of quizzes.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    I've noticed on quite a few quiz shows, that hardly any of the contestants are unemployed. Is this deliberate discrimination because they'll not be able to chat about their interesting jobs during all the pointless time filling chit-chat? There should be quite a few who are good at quizzes, seeing as they have plenty of time to watch the endless afternoon quiz shows that clog up the schedules. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I so wanted to like the return of 15-1. I used to watch it after school. I'm also a fan of Toksvig's, but I have to say she's wrong for this. Her pace is too ponderous and there's way too much chat. Under WGS, it was a tough quiz and exciting to watch. The reincarnation is neither tough nor exciting to watch.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed on quite a few quiz shows, that hardly any of the contestants are unemployed.

Well, there was a "creative writing student" recently...

Did anyone else recognise Jocelyn on podium 15 yesterday from another quiz? When she said she was on the original 15 to 1 I thought initially she might have been on one of my shows, but she wasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well,this forum's certainly been quiet over the last few days. Has everybody lost interest in the show? It's the Grand Final today. Come on people,at least pitch up and get ready to post during the final. Balloons,streamers,organise parties...no?
  • holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well,this forum's certainly been quiet over the last few days. Has everybody lost interest in the show? It's the Grand Final today. Come on people,at least pitch up and get ready to post during the final. Balloons,streamers,organise parties...no?

Good luck with that.
    Watched the first 20 mins of the first show and bailed out.
    By the sound of this thread it seems I got it right.

Format is cr*p and I've never liked Sandi whatshername.