Options

Did that really happen last night?

scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well another final over in a flash and I'm well shell shocked. There were some surreal moments last night.... like Cheryl phoning in :o, Willy Wonka, vanishing tricks :confused:, rapping live :cool: and wrecking ball. Who would have thought wrecking ball would have been the winning song?

Above all though Sally or Christina not winning as everyone thought.

I'm not complaining mind, I just need to get my head around what I watched and the unexpected result :)

Comments

• Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I know!!! jermaine was my least fave and after his first 2 woeful performances I thought he was a goner ( poor Jamie)

Christina Marie was my winner by a country mile!!
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always amused to see good old cognitive dissonance in action.

In answer to the question posed by thread title..... Yes, it did.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Will overall but him getting Cheryl to phone in and endorse Jermaine was pretty cringey. All the acts can sing rings around her so I don't see why they would be thrilled :D
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GBP loved Jermaines performance which is why he won. That is all there is to it.
  • Options
    clivefieldclivefield Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The GBP loved Jermaines performance which is why he won. That is all there is to it.

So lets all watch his debut single scrape into the top 30 if lucky
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Jermain was great throughout the series - last night maybe wasn't his best but he will be more memorable than the other two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clivefield wrote: »
    So lets all watch his debut single scrape into the top 30 if lucky

I would imagine his album will come out first which will no doubt be in the top 10.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well another final over in a flash and I'm well shell shocked. There were some surreal moments last night.... like Cheryl phoning in :o, Willy Wonka, vanishing tricks :confused:, rapping live :cool: and wrecking ball. Who would have thought wrecking ball would have been the winning song?
    I thought the surreal moments were great.:D

But Wrecking Ball wasn't the winning song, I’m Telling You was. ;-)
  • Options
    SoapQueenieSoapQueenie Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Yet another winner that will go nowhere
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jermaine was my favourite, but going by the previous two winners I don't hold much hope in him having a successful commercial singing career... although I would feel the same for whoever had win.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    What happened was this. Jermain turned in such a superb performance for his final song it blew the opposition completely out of the water! The others simply couldn't compete with him in the end. It's called rising to the occasion.

I never much rated Christina Marie or even Sally particularly. I also didn't particularly like either of them for various reasons, so I'm very pleased they didn't win and so glad that Jermain did.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understand why some people have to be so nasty just because their favourite didn't win, and go on to hope the winner fails, how mean spirited can some people be.

Jermaine was not my favourite either, until that last performance when he out sang and outperformed the others, genuine talent won, and the audience reaction was spontaneous and not influenced by anyone.

We all know if the others are any good they will get deals too, so lets be nicer to people.
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, I think the GBP fell under Jermaine's spell, his positivity, his enthusiasm , his charm and his charism which was all sadly lacking in Sally and Christina. It did shock me that Jamie went out first he will do well though I think he is like Olly Murrs and will go onto bigger things.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't.
    I'm the GBP.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally caught up with the song clips.

The result is only partly surprising. I don't believe any of them were particularly inspiring or good in the live shows. Maybe the pressure got to them but the individual qualities they came in with seemed to have fallen away by the Lives. If I'd been in, I still wouldn't have voted for my favourite (Sally) despite having liked her audition and Walk on By. The performances she gave in the final weeks didn't have that thing I'd liked in her before (a quality of inwardness, a sense of feeling it in real time). That's pressure. Or maybe sack the voice coaches :o:cool::D

It wasn't just her who was below par, IMO. There wasn't anything compelling in any of the performances is my feeling. Nothing to demand your attention... But Jermaine seemed least stressed and least embarrassed by the occasion, which might have won it for him. It makes an audience relax if the performer isn't shit scared, tense or apologetic. The studio crowd responded to him warmly too, which gave him an aura of sorts.

I wondered if they had had trouble with the sound in the studio, btw.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    If Cheryl wasent so rude we could of completed the final performance rather than being cut off. She has such a big ego, she could see he was on telly. She should of known not to phone his watch. >:(:p

Am I the only one that thinks Sally has the personality of a spoon? She wasent even happy when she got to the final, you could tell in her voice. I think that is why she lost to be honest.
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    If Cheryl wasent so rude we could of completed the final performance rather than being cut off. She has such a big ego, she could see he was on telly. She should of known not to phone his watch. >:(:p

Am I the only one that thinks Sally has the personality of a spoon? She wasent even happy when she got to the final, you could tell in her voice. I think that is why she lost to be honest.

I'm assuming she was asked by Will to phone him at the end of Jermain's performance.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly not everyone thought Sally or Christina were going to win as they believed in Jermain and he was their favourite. Many, many people, me being one of them :)

My favourite winner of the 3 series thus far, easily.
  • Options
    BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I still wouldn't have voted for my favourite (Sally) despite having liked her audition and Walk on By. The performances she gave in the final weeks didn't have that thing I'd liked in her before (a quality of inwardness, a sense of feeling it in real time). That's pressure. Or maybe sack the voice coaches :o:cool::D

Interesting point.
    fhs man 2 wrote: »

Totally agree. Attention seeker. Can't stand the untalented woman.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this type of ending coming.

The Voice is such a short series that all it takes is one good performance and that person gets the votes that particular week. Jermaine's one good performance won it for him, but I do feel that if the final had been last week, when Jamie sang 'I Can't Make You Love Me' he would have been crowned the winner on that performance.

This week felt like the equivalent of week 3/4 on XF where one mighty performance tops the vote but doesn't win the series. I think a longer series would have seen Christina win - she performed better than the others in the final but overdid it, and she didn't have enough voter loyalty to fall back on.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I know!!! jermaine was my least fave and after his first 2 woeful performances I thought he was a goner

There's something about him we just don't like. He looks nice, seems like a decent fellow, and has a really good voice. But... there's a persistent feeling that, like the politicians he so admires, just beneath the surface is a not so humble fellow who believes not just in himself, but in his innate superiority.

Sally, and Christina, on the other hand, came across as far more genuine, and therefore perhaps more deserving people. In the case of Sally, also with a genuinely brilliant voice. Unfortunately, whoever was choosing the songs for them chose rather badly.
  • Options
    MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jermain won because of the entertainment value in the Willy Wonka thing. I was never into Jermain and his "wuuuuuuuuh" love notes, but he was the most enjoyable in the final.

So, basically, it was will.i.am that put in the best performance. And that's why he won.

The Kaiser Chiefs song was good too.

Sally, my original favourite, was boring in the final. The song choice was sleep inducing. Bad call by Tom jones.

As usual, I enjoyed The Voice, and I quite like that it's just a competition rather than a guaranteed instant success for the chosen ones. They still have to do it for themselves afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People just need to accept that the momst talented person won. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's something about him we just don't like.

Is this the royal "we"?
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manko wrote: »
    I think Jermain won because of the entertainment value in the Willy Wonka thing. I was never into Jermain and his "wuuuuuuuuh" love notes, but he was the most enjoyable in the final.

So, basically, it was will.i.am that put in the best performance. And that's why he won.

I'm going with your explanation because as a singer I'm not into Jermaine's sound. All his performances were way better presented but not in a way that it distracted.

I loved the Wonka routine.