The Power of Love - terrible song choice

2»

Comments

• alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of favourite versions of the songs she sang. This is my favourite version of Fix You. It has plain integrity and sincerity despite all the faults and limitations.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-e8LGMPTtE
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It worked better as a duet.

She went completely off at one point towards the end lost all control of her voice, it was awful.

Should of done Everlong and Sally should of done Walk On By!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me it doesn't, Gabrielle Aplin's cover is sung relatively gently and I find it a far more beautiful version.

I agree. It isn't a power ballad in any shape or form and it really shouldn't be belted.
  • Kim PKim P Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Frankie's Power of Love is not what I'd call a power ballad. I've got the original and did not like CM's interpretation of it.

Another poster mentioned Jennifer Rush, now her song Power of Love is more akin to a power ballad and I think would have suited CM's strong voice better.

I didn't care for Sally's choices either. In fact it was only Jermain's last song that stood out markedly for me.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim P wrote: »
    Another poster mentioned Jennifer Rush, now her song Power of Love is more akin to a power ballad and I think would have suited CM's strong voice better.
    Just listened to that. Wow!
    That song would have been ideal for CM and could well have been a winner for her.

It is often the case in talent shows, that the powerful performance wins the night and it was so with Jermain. CM would have stood much more of a chance against him with a good performance of Jennifer Rush's song.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Just listened to that. Wow!
    That song would have been ideal for CM and could well have been a winner for her.

It is often the case in talent shows, that the powerful performance wins the night and it was so with Jermain. CM would have stood much more of a chance against him with a good performance of Jennifer Rush's song.

Sam Bailey sang Jennifer Rush's Power Of Love on last year's X Factor, and as it was so many people's favourite performance of hers she included it on her album and named the album after it, so perhaps it was felt that the song was too recently associated with the other show.