DVD Player - Use of TOS Link

For quite a while i have recorded MP3 files to minidisc using the toslink on my DVD player. I can burn the files to a CD-RW then connect the tos link to the mini-disc player/recorder.

The reason i have posted this thread is because i have encountered a problem in this.

If, for example i am recording 3 files (named x. y, and z). When i set up the DVD player and MD player, and come back to it 10 mins later i find i have 5 or 6 tracks instead of 3. Track 1 will be the first 4 seconds of song X, with the next track being the rest of song X. This is the same for the next two tracks.

I thought at first this wouldnt be a problem as my MD player has a devide/combine function. But using this method of recording i cannot combine the tracks, it seems to be protected.

Does anyone know what i can do about this?

Comments

• comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The usual reason for not being able to combine tracks is that one is a digital recording and the other is analogue. The minidisc standard prevents this combine to stop a potential method of overcoming the serial copy management system (SCMS).

My DVD player does not pass on track marks when recording MD's of either MP3's or CD's so I have come across this problem.

The nearest I've seen has been incorrectly placed trck marks on CD's I have made on the computer. Sometimes the software or burner itself fail to get the track marks placed correctly. Maybe something like this is affecting your MD and confusing it in some way.

I suggest, if possible, trying your MD with a friends DVD/CD player to see if it's affected the same way and/or using a disc produced on another computer to try and indentify if that's the problem.
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    I think i may have sorted it out. I have an MP3 album on a disk which i have fed to the DVD player.

I checked the settings of the player and there are 2 options for the SP/DIF (Tos link). They are SPDIF RAW and SPDIF PCM. i am going to try both of these options to see which one works.

I will report back when ive done it.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes my Sony 335 DVD player also won't pass through track marking when doing a digital copy (both coax and optical digital outputs if I recall)

I solved the problem by not using the DVD player to digitally dub to MD!

I also find the same problems can occur when using an optical output from my Creative SB Live optical outputs into my MD recorder (along with low volume levels)
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Well ive just completed recording (twas Christina Aggy). For the first 5 or 6 tracks the cut off points were perfect, but then it started to do the same thing again, where a track would consist of a 3 second track followed by a 4 minute track!

Oh well, for me its the best means of recording, and as i dont use the player regularly (its quite an old one) i dont want to spend out on new tech for it.