Options

How Do Courier Firms Get Away With Fraud?

TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically taking money for a particular service and deliberately not providing it, and keeping the money.

The classic one is the fake "attempted delivery", when no delivery vehicle ever came within half a mile of your home.

It's surely a fraud if they do it on purpose, and they are doing it on purpose.

Comments

• Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    you have to prove it sadly.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One company takes pictures of the house concerned when they have 'attempted delivery'. It was very useful for me when I was shown the picture of where they attempted delivery to be able to say 'but that is not my house'!!! Even better, when the occupants of the wrong house denied getting a 'attemped delivery, sorry you were out card'! Driver apparently protested that the address label was unclear, but when I finally got hold of my parcel, the label was correct, intact and clear.Driver also put on his little computer that he had actually delivered the parcel....twice! parcel was eventually found at the depot!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I had one were they emailed me a photo of the parcel they allegedly left in my locked porch, It was a photo of a box from marks and spencers, It wasn't until i pointed out that my delivery was from Amazon that they miraculously discovered their 'mistake' and delivered my item. The courier told me that he was going out for the evening to a party so was going to bring my parcel the next day but had logged it as delivered (yeah right)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One company takes pictures of the house concerned when they have 'attempted delivery'. It was very useful for me when I was shown the picture of where they attempted delivery to be able to say 'but that is not my house'!!! Even better, when the occupants of the wrong house denied getting a 'attemped delivery, sorry you were out card'! Driver apparently protested that the address label was unclear, but when I finally got hold of my parcel, the label was correct, intact and clear.Driver also put on his little computer that he had actually delivered the parcel....twice! parcel was eventually found at the depot!

Wow. It's staggering how keen some of these delivery people are to lie and not do the job that they're paid to. Really ridiculous.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »
    Wow. It's staggering how keen some of these delivery people are to lie and not do the job that they're paid to. Really ridiculous.

It was a relief driver. Took 10 days to eventually get my parcel. Company was very apologetic(!) and when all the evidence was accumulated, accepted that the driver was totally at fault and would be dealt with. Actually the Courier company was horrified!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Most Royal Mail employees aren't much different. Too many people put up with those stupid "While you were out" cards, when the parcel never went anywhere near their letterbox.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Basically taking money for a particular service and deliberately not providing it, and keeping the money.
    You'd have to prove it was deliberate. The thing about services is that the law only requires 'best efforts'. Unlike goods which have to be fit for a purpose services are allowed to fail. As long as the supplier informs you about the costs and risks and makes a 'reasonable' effort they are entitled to be paid.
  • Options
    15Million℃15Million℃ Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some couriers get paid 'on delivery', so there is every incentive to blag it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Most Royal Mail employees aren't much different. Too many people put up with those stupid "While you were out" cards, when the parcel never went anywhere near their letterbox.

I had a whole thread about a postie who tried to sneak off without letting me sign for my parcel and you wouldn't believe how many people tried to paint me as a liar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I had a whole thread about a postie who tried to sneak off without letting me sign for my parcel and you wouldn't believe how many people tried to paint me as a liar.

I think I posted in it!

Somewhere, there is a militant mail staff forum where anything vaguely derogatory about RM workers is reported, so their members can come and protest. I'm not even joking.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yodel completely lied about my parcel being delivered a couple of months ago. They EVENTUALLY delivered it two weeks later.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »

Which we were able to do on two different occasions with one particular courier as we have 24 hour CCTV which covers our front door and you can see the street outside, so when we contacted them about or delivery which ahd never arrived and they said they attempted to deliver twice ( no note left ) we asked them if they would like a copy of the CCTV to show that their van did not even enter our street on those days let alone attempt a delivery.

They very quickly said the item had gone astray and sorted out another one for us , but no explanation or apology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Somewhere, there is a militant mail staff forum where anything vaguely derogatory about RM workers is reported, so their members can come and protest. I'm not even joking.

Oh, wow. That's just one of the most shockingly pathetic things I've ever heard of.

Maybe if they did their jobs properly they wouldn't need to worrying about defending themselves/each other.
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would want to be a courier?

It is an utterly thankless task, if a delivery driver has something on his van to deliver it is in no way of any benifit for him to not deliver it. He wants it off his vehicle.

I bet weekday deliveries to domestic properties must have a 60% + non delivery because no one is there to collect.

I deal with couriers daily and have probelms with them. Timed deliveries are the main one where they say they tried to deliver and couldnt get an answer. Then they tutn up after and say they came back.

When my deliveries fail on time I claim back the full cost. I mainly use UPS and ship about 200 packages a week.

I can assure you all though they are all as bad as each other simply becuase its such a pressured job for pretty much piss poor money.
  • Options
    walesrobwalesrob Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Had a problem with a courier - Business Post - a few years back - basically the driver forged my signature and claimed the package had been delivered. How did I know that? The supplier had proof of delivery emailed to me, and it wasn't my signature. The supplier were good about it, sent a replacement by Royal Mail, who are far more reliable that any of the couriers in my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    Who would want to be a courier?

It is an utterly thankless task, if a delivery driver has something on his van to deliver it is in no way of any benifit for him to not deliver it. He wants it off his vehicle.

I bet weekday deliveries to domestic properties must have a 60% + non delivery because no one is there to collect.

I deal with couriers daily and have probelms with them. Timed deliveries are the main one where they say they tried to deliver and couldnt get an answer. Then they tutn up after and say they came back.

When my deliveries fail on time I claim back the full cost. I mainly use UPS and ship about 200 packages a week.

I can assure you all though they are all as bad as each other simply becuase its such a pressured job for pretty much piss poor money.

HDNL have been absolutely perfect with delivering my parcels. They are always on time (they get here at a certain time in the morning). Can't fault them at all. Yodel made THREE terrible impressions on me with the same order. Even though I got the order eventually from them, they're hopeless!
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yodel delivered my parcel to the wrong address, and then sent a card through my letterbox saying i wasn't in.

They didn't even knock on my door.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    HDNL have been absolutely perfect with delivering my parcels. They are always on time (they get here at a certain time in the morning). Can't fault them at all. Yodel made THREE terrible impressions on me with the same order. Even though I got the order eventually from them, they're hopeless!

Yodel and HDNL are the same company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone having trouble with the idiots that are Yodel, they should contact Amazon's customer service. They were very helpful with me when I was having trouble with the dreaded Yodel. Also, if the amount of complaints they get about Yodel rockets, they MIGHT even get rid of them, and if they do, this will make Amazon's courier service all that more reliable without them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yodel and HDNL are the same company.

That's strange then.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I'd love to have an arrangement with couriers whereby they don't bother even trying to deliver, but email me when a parcel for me is available for collection from their depot.

It would be so much more convenient.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to have an arrangement with couriers whereby they don't bother even trying to deliver, but email me when a parcel for me is available for collection from their depot.

It would be so much more convenient.
    Until you learn their "local" depot is a round trip of 80 miles & two hours driving - which is what I had when I lived in Skipton and the "local" depot was in Wakefield.

Even when I lived in Edinburgh the "local" depot was a 50 mile & one hour round trip.

At least with Parcelforce & the PO the local office is generally somewhere nearby - in my case under half a mile for both and has been the same for the last 4 addresses I've lived in.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member

I must be lucky. Had the same postman for 10 years And he has never pulled that stunt. Everyone where i live is on first name terms.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

The classic one is the fake "attempted delivery", when no delivery vehicle ever came within half a mile of your home.

It's surely a fraud if they do it on purpose, and they are doing it on purpose.
    skunkboy69 wrote: »

I know one of my neighbours has succesfully made a claim against a courier firm, fot this exact reason...Sorry we could not get you in

The neighbour has 2 cameras, one at the close door, and one at his front door, and he caught the courier firm out, they claimed he wasnt in, and the driver had rang his door bell

My neighbour is consultant and computer programmer, and his time isnt cheap, so he took the day of to wait for package, it failed to arrive, as promised, so he made a claim for lost earnings, and I believe his claim was for around £1000, which is what he more or less earn in a day

The courier firm challenged this, that they got no reply, only when my neighbour indicated he has cctv, they were still relucktan to pay, threat of civil court action, promted them to pay up £1000, now the word has got round, that xx address has cctv, and all deliveries are on time
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your legally entitle to claim for lost wages, if you take the day of work, and the courier van fails to deliver