2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I wanted Roger to win
    I wasn't happy when Afnam went out first
    Ben wasn't very good

I wasn't happy Afnan got booted out so quickly either - he's much better than he had any chance to show. Saw a video of him singing 'Gethsamane' a while back but there's no sign of it now, unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    I dont think Ben will do a bad job of being Jesus but I also dont think he is a rock god in any way

If you think about hte story Judas is worried that Jesus by believing his own hype is causing problems with the Romans. Judas think he s too arrogant and isn;t listening to advise, he thinks he is a superstar,

Really how on earth could AWL have missed the parallels between the Jesus in the show and Nathan.
  • Options
    StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was so odd ! I saw Nahan singing ' She's Out Of My Life' on Youtube - just a straightforward, moving version in excellent, tenor voice. It would have contrasted so well with the rock songs he sang on ' Superstar' and would have shown the other side necessary for the role.

ALW also didn't seem to notice that generally, Nathan speaks quietly. He's clearly not someone who speaks like a raving loud extravert all the time. ALW didn't see that contrast either.

It all made me wonder in what ways some of the others weren't presented well either. For example, Andrew said something about " LA" to Jon when that put down didn't make sense at all.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred Rory or Nathan to Ben.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    shefair wrote: »
    I dont think Ben will do a bad job of being Jesus but I also dont think he is a rock god in any way

If you think about hte story Judas is worried that Jesus by believing his own hype is causing problems with the Romans. Judas think he s too arrogant and isn;t listening to advise, he thinks he is a superstar,

Really how on earth could AWL have missed the parallels between the Jesus in the show and Nathan.

My goodness, I didn't see it either, but I think you're right!
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samiskim wrote: »
    Ben does not do it for me. He doesn't "look" like Jesus, have his strength or gentleness.

Why do you say he doesn't "look" like Jesus? Wasn't Jesus a Jewish man of middle-eastern origin? I thought Ben looked more the part than probably any of the other contestants and also in terms of age. Also, I don't understand your comment about strength and gentleness. Ben wasn't my favourite singer, but I thought he was the most suited to the role. Maybe he won because most of the viewers shared that opinion.

Nathan is a superb singer and performer (who I hope will have a very successful career), but he wasn't right for Jesus. I think Rory was also very good but too young for the role.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Powell had the anecdote that in some remote church the image of Jesus used for prayer and quiet reflection was of him.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Powell had the anecdote that in some remote church the image of Jesus used for prayer and quiet reflection was of him.:D

Oh happy days. I still have the box set of "Jesus of Nazareth" but no video recorder to play it on. :p

I think I had a major crush on Robert Powell after watching that, which gives new meaning to worshipping Jesus, doesn't it?

I'm dying to see the revues for the arena tour. I so hope they film it. Until then I'll reserve judgement on who the best Jesus would be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Jesus Christ, Superstar is probably the only way these days that people in the UK actually get to access the Gospel of St John and learn about the man who shaped our minds for the last two thousand years.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Rory was little more than pleasant.