Cancelling contract/PAC notice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
Forum Member
Hi guys I've just spoken to somebody on vodafone chat about cancelling my contract, it ends on 13/12/13 and i've asked for my PAC now I thought that if I used the PAC on or around the 13/11/11 then that would be my 30 days notice also but I've been told different by the advisor could somebody else confirm, here is a transcript of the message.

Jainik S: I have requested the pac code and you will receive it as a text message in few hours.

gary jones: thankyou very much for your help, one last question does my 30 days notice start now or when I use the pac?
Jainik S: I request you to port out after 13/12/2013 as the thats the contract end date and if you port out before that there might be some fees.
Jainik S: You can use the pac code anytime however its valid for 30 days and also the day you use the pac code the account gets cancelled with us and the final bill is generated in 10 days after port out
gary jones: right so if i port out on the 13/12/13 i dont have to pay another 30 days after that?
Jainik S: Also I request you to keep the direct debit active after the port out so that the final bill can be paid and yes if you port out there is no need for 30 day notice, the 30 day notice is only required when you want to cancel the account and not port out
Jainik S: Was I able to answer the question?
gary jones: yes I think so, so just to confirm if i port out on the 13/12 I wont get charged for anydays after that then yes.
Jainik S: Yes the day you port out the account gets cancelled with us right away
gary jones: and 30 days notice is no longer needed, right I get you
gary jones: is that because i'm going with ovivo which uses your network?
Jainik S: Not required if you port out.
gary jones: ok then thankyou very much for your time
Jainik S: My pleasure assisting you.
Jainik S: Is there anything else I can do for you today?
gary jones: no that is all thankyou

So if I port out on the 13/12/2013 I reckon I will still get charged 30 days notice till 13/01/2014 what do you think?

Thankyou very much for your time.

Comments

• steffanglsteffangl Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    You've timed it perfectly but I wouldn't leave it until the last day to use the PAC - just in case your new SIM doesn't arrive in time, or some other fault happens.

As your before the end of your contract, whether you port tomorrow or in 3 weeks time, you'll only have to pay up until the end of your contract, so it depends how much of the last month you want to "waste".

Accessing your account online gets disabled once you've ported out and AFAIK they don't automatically send a final paper bill. Ring and check after a month to see if there's a balance on your account - depending on your billing cycle you may have overpaid and have a small amount sitting there that can be refunded to your bank.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    steffangl wrote: »
    You've timed it perfectly but I wouldn't leave it until the last day to use the PAC - just in case your new SIM doesn't arrive in time, or some other fault happens.

As your before the end of your contract, whether you port tomorrow or in 3 weeks time, you'll only have to pay up until the end of your contract, so it depends how much of the last month you want to "waste".

Accessing your account online gets disabled once you've ported out and AFAIK they don't automatically send a final paper bill. Ring and check after a month to see if there's a balance on your account - depending on your billing cycle you may have overpaid and have a small amount sitting there that can be refunded to your bank.

Thank you that's great and all I needed to here. So I'll probably do it in the last week don't mind paying a week. Thank you so much
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Gary_Jones wrote: »
    Hi guys I've just spoken to somebody on vodafone chat about cancelling my contract, it ends on 13/12/13 and i've asked for my PAC now I thought that if I used the PAC on or around the 13/11/11 then that would be my 30 days notice also but I've been told different by the advisor could somebody else confirm, here is a transcript of the message.
    I am interested in this as I also want to leave Vodafone early next year.

Surely there are TWO important dates. Firstly when you give the 30 days notice and secondly when you actually USE the PAC (and thus terminate the contract at that point).

Have they accepted that REQUESTING the PAC starts your 30 days notice? If so you could use the PAC any time up to 13/12. You will have paid Voadfone for service until that date.

The overall effect you want is to arive at 13/12 with the Vodafone contract properly terminated - so they don't bill you for an extra month!

I don't see the advisors point about using the PAC late - you will have already paid them in advance until 13/12 on the contract!

If you use the PAC early I would doubt if you could get any refund - as you have to keep paying the Contract up to 13/12!
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Requesting the PAC is in itself giving 30 days' notice.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Requesting the PAC is in itself giving 30 days' notice.

Thanks very much - I will request my own PAC 30 days before my contract is up in February!

I was worried that "notice" was different to "PAC request".
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    The last time I used a pac was on 7.11.13, this was the last day i could use it. when I gave it to my new network, they said they needed 24 hours to port over. I was concerned that the transfer day was a day late because my pac was expired however it was ok. I would still recommend doing it 48 hours beforehand just to be on the safe side.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you give the new network your PAC code they should schedule a transfer date there and then which can be anything up to a week in advance.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    When you give the new network your PAC code they should schedule a transfer date there and then which can be anything up to a week in advance.

Does that mean, if you use the PAC on the last day, it may take another week to transfer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Hi Gary_Jones & BKM,

It's just a quick post to provide some clarification here.

When you request your Port Authorisation Code (PAC) and then provide it to your proposed new provider, the transfer date confirmed by them would constitute your cancellation date with us.

However, if you don't use your PAC but still wish to cancel, you'd need to let us know so we can arrange your cancellation separately. If you didn't, your account would remain active.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK