Louise Mensch resigns as an MP

Comments

• Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He works and lives in New York.

Does he still work with Cliff Burnstein?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Does he still work with Cliff Burnstein?

He is according to Wiki the manager of rock band Metallica.

Mensch has only been married for a year so it seems natural to me that she would want to live with her new husband.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Please let me know if anyone knows of an MP who does not put their own interests first. Same goes for coleagues in the workplace. I'd be more than happy to be an MP as it would probably be as far as I could upwardly progress. On the other hand if I was female, attractive, and already successful I could well see that there are better ways to spend the rest of one's life.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Really it's not Louise Mensch's fault she wasn't up to the job.

Cameron picked her. Poor judgement yet again.

Louise was first-rate, so trying to claim she wasn't up to the job is partisanship of the silliest kind. She will be a big loss to politics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Louise was first-rate, so trying to claim she wasn't up to the job is partisanship of the silliest kind. She will be a big loss to politics.

What do you mean "partisanship"? After today you'll be hard pressed to find a Conservative with a good word to say about her, so there is a rare moment of cross-party consensus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    What do you mean "partisanship"? After today you'll be hard pressed to find a Conservative with a good word to say about her, so there is a rare moment of cross-party consensus.

I'm a Conservative and I have a good word to say about her.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Conservative and I have a good word to say about her.

I am as far away from Conservatism as you can probably get and even I have good words to say about her. But it doesn't mean that I wouldn't say that she wasn't up to the job, if it was evident.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you any evidence to back that up?
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After today you'll be hard pressed to find a Conservative with a good word to say about her, so there is a rare moment of cross-party consensus.

How do you know have you asked them all?

I know it is a slow political news month but fgs all she has done is decide to go and live in New York because her new husband lives and works there.

The end result is a by-election Labour should win.
  • cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Let this serve as a lesson to all political parties. Try putting up candidates who have been working actively in the party for years, not pretty girls who will look good on a poster but have never displayed any active interest in politics. They have no loyalty to the country, their constituency or the party, and as soon as they get bored or get a better offer, they will bugger off and leave you in schtuck.
    Er, wasn't Mensch a Tory activist who had campaigned for the party in several elections? So more than just a "pretty girl".
  • ThePhotographerThePhotographer Posts: 3,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to her :)

It's a shame the party is losing her and she had a lot of potential to do well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Not easy being an MP and trying to live a normal life. Hope she will be happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Not easy being an MP and trying to live a normal life. Hope she will be happy.

I agree, and have great amount of responsibility and pressure being in the public eye with constituents and media demand.

Hopefully, we will see her on QT again though :)
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with both of you and although I don't know much about her I think she has done the right thing in putting her family first because IMO family comes first and foremost.

Good luck to her. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, and have great amount of responsibility and pressure being in the public eye with constituents and media demand.

Hopefully, we will see her on QT again though :)

I have always enjoyed her appearances on Question Time. I particularly liked the way she handle that idiot John Lydon
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awfull MP, awfull soundbite politician, all that is wrong with modern politics.

Glad she has gone.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He is according to Wiki the manager of rock band Metallica.

Mensch has only been married for a year so it seems natural to me that she would want to live with her new husband.

Burnstein and Mensch have been around for a long time, as Q Prime, they've managed some of the biggest rock acts through their biggest times.

I certainly knew about them 20-25 years ago.

Burnstein would handle the US, Mensch Europe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    Er, wasn't Mensch a Tory activist who had campaigned for the party in several elections? So more than just a "pretty girl".

I campaigned for the Labour Party during several elections, but delivering leaflets, distributing posters and telling hardly makes me ideal material as a parliamentary candidate material.
    I never switched parties liked Mensch though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always enjoyed her appearances on Question Time. I particularly liked the way she handle that idiot John Lydon

That episode was horrible mainly because of him. He had no right to be in that arena and I would prefer QT to have political related people in that arena who know what they are talking about.

Lydon is a clueless twit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That episode was horrible mainly because of him. He had no right to be in that arena and I would prefer QT to have political related people in that arena who know what they are talking about.

Lydon is a clueless twit.

I do like to see people from popular culture on the show, as long as they make a reasonably intelligent contribution. Also as long as they are challenged with reasoned debate as well.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'd rather hang out with Metallica than stay around this shithole. :p
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I think she will be a loss to politics. We need to make it easier for women to be MPs and have a family life. If her resignation discourages women, for whatever party, to seek election that that will be bad for politics. It will just mean more dull men in grey suits.

People say they don't want career politicians. They want them to have experience of a life outside of the party machine, to have opinions of their own and not to be afraid of speaking out. Yet when we do get someone like that they are criticised for being an egotist, a loose cannon and a publicity seeker.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Please let me know if anyone knows of an MP who does not put their own interests first. Same goes for coleagues in the workplace. I'd be more than happy to be an MP as it would probably be as far as I could upwardly progress. On the other hand if I was female, attractive, and already successful I could well see that there are better ways to spend the rest of one's life.

Do you feel that attractive females maybe shouldn't get involved in politics?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, I think she will be a loss to politics. We need to make it easier for women to be MPs and have a family life. If her resignation discourages women, for whatever party, to seek election that that will be bad for politics. It will just mean more dull men in grey suits.

People say they don't want career politicians. They want them to have experience of a life outside of the party machine, to have opinions of their own and not to be afraid of speaking out. Yet when we do get someone like that they are criticised for being an egotist, a loose cannon and a publicity seeker.

They're going to have to make some pretty substantial changes to Parliamentary procedure to allow female MPs to live in New York though.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're going to have to make some pretty substantial changes to Parliamentary procedure to allow female MPs to live in New York though.

Why? - Brown lives in Scotland yet hardly ever goes to the HoC, Mensch could easily live in New York and attend more often.