We need a mid season break

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    The Premier League is more of a grind than other leagues because of it's relative depth and the physical nature of the league. In terms of the physical impact on our players, to take one example how many times has Rooney been 100% fit in a tournament.

Compared to other countries we never field a fully fit team anymore.

What other countries have managed to go into a tournament with all their best players fit?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    What about if the professional, overpayed footballers.

Starting living to being role models, giving up the fagsand drink.

And smashing up there cars, ooh yes and parking in disabled parking spaces RVP.

Maybe that way they would be fitter all round.

Yes, because only players in England do these things.:rolleyes:
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do people insist that footballers should be role models? They play football, they're very good at it, they get paid for doing this job. They have absolutely NO responsibility to be a role model for anyone. The only people that should have the responsibility of being a role model for younger people are parents/guardians. No-one else.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    So isn't it time we followed common sense, the rest of the footy playing world and stopped thrashing our players over the Christmas period.

Especially for the England team I am sick of seeing our lot go to tournaments half knackered and lacking key players.

From January to March PL players are twice as likely to pick up an injury compared to Europe, and from March to the end of the season they are four times as likely.

Which is all well and good except roughly half (maybe more?) of the players in the Premier League are not English and play international football for their own countries. Would they not also be affected by no mid-season break come the World Cup, Copa America, Euros......?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Why do people insist that footballers should be role models? They play football, they're very good at it, they get paid for doing this job. They have absolutely NO responsibility to be a role model for anyone. The only people that should have the responsibility of being a role model for younger people are parents/guardians. No-one else.

Jessica Ennis, Mo Farrah, Ellie Simonds, Rory McElroy, Sir Steve Redgrave, just to name a few are sport stars, but are also rolemodels, who have done a lot for sport.

If you think my views are slightly extreme, u should listen to my dad.

He feels all footballers, should have a wage to a normal like set amount, and should then get a normal job, to gain extra if they want.

He goes back to the days when, footallers he used to go to work with, went and played for Bristol Rovers after a day at work, and I think my dad still believes, it should be like that.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessica Ennis, Mo Farrah, Ellie Simonds, Rory McElroy, Sir Steve Redgrave, just to name a few are sport stars, but are also rolemodels, who have done a lot for sport.

He feels all footballers, should have a wage to a normal like set amount, and should then get a normal job, to gain extra if they want.

He goes back to the days when, footallers he used to go to work with, went and played for Bristol Rovers after a day at work, and I think my dad still believes, it should be like that.

And I can name the same number of footballers who are good rolemodels and give you a simular list of non football stars who are not.

The thing is if Sir Steve Redgrave went out on the piss the papers dont really give a flying F, While if xxx footballer does its on the front page of the papers. The names you gave are major names in sport i admit but the level of public obession is not the same. Mo and Sir Steve although popular people could walk down a high street with little problems. Where as alot of footballers could not do the same
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

Well thats just ridiculous.

So we have a multi-billion industry and we pay the guys £400 a week?

Outstanding.

Those people you list are NOT role models either. You have no idea what they get up to in their private life because the press arent all over them. They are SPORTSMEN. Admire them for their sporting abilities and leave role models to parents and relatives as it should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest mothers and fathers instead of being lazy ensure their kids have proper rolemodels instead of allowing the media and tv to tell them who they should be.

Nelson Mandela,Desmond Tutu,Mother Teressa etc are the type of rolemodels you should be educating the kids to follow, Not some random guy off the street that happens to be not bad at kicking a football around
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is a spoof post right? Please tell me it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    Mid season break.LOL
    Theyre hardly overworked as it is .....and vastly overpaid /spoilt .Maybe they could work on their skills , ball control and passing more as I dont see much in the English Premiership to justify the sackfulls of money they are being paid.:rolleyes:

Instead of not being good at football, they should be good at football!

If only they knew this magical secret. Why aren't you in football management with such a gift?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    This is a spoof post right? Please tell me it is.

Nothing spoof about it, its just how I feel, Ive cerebral palsy wheelchair bound, got mental health issues, and never moan about conditons I just put up with.

And you get footballers, who cry after being tackled, are vain and have hair transplants, cheat, say they are depressed, how the hell are they depressed, when they get paid like 100k + a week, live in a place, and have good looking partners
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing spoof about it, its just how I feel, Ive cerebral palsy wheelchair bound, got mental health issues, and never moan about conditons I just put up with.

And you get footballers, who cry after being tackled, are vain and have hair transplants, cheat, say they are depressed, how the hell are they depressed, when they get paid like 100k + a week, live in a place, and have good looking partners

Being depressed has nothing to to do with how much money you have in the bank, What you look like or where you live or what your partner looks like. How would you feel if people put people in wheelchairs like yourself into such a broad comment? Or with Mental Health issues like yourself (example all people with mental health issues should be in a padded cell).

How many footballers have had hair-transplants? Lets just say in 3 divisons of football? All players cheat? (all people in wheelchairs can walk but just doing it for the benefits), All players in 5 divisons of football are vain?

Sorry but that is the biggest load of crap, I suggest you stop reading the headlines of the papers and think for yourself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not all footballers are vain, id say apart from the players in like top 4 clubs in the country, the players are not vain,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not all footballers are vain, id say apart from the players in like top 4 clubs in the country, the players are not vain,

So about 150 players out of how many in the country are vain (thats utter rubbish in alone)? So really your comments about players being vain is bull? Right so how many cheat? How many have hair transplants? Lets put your amazing views to the test
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You clearly don't know the first thing about depression.

Why is a hair transplant a bad thing by the way?
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

I genuinely don't know how people can display such a monumental level of ignorance to the issue of depression in this day and age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shall we ask Gary Speeds family how could he be depressed? Or maybe we should ask Justin Fashanu's?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member

Please don't talk such generalised crap about mental health issues,

It is very clearly the case, and I would have thought that most adults who suffer from mental health issues would be particularly aware of this. that such issues can strike people from all walks of life, however otherwise generaly fit. well off or whatever. And there are so many and varied reasons why some people can become clinically depressed and effectively cease to function properly, and sometimes these reasons are far from clear.

You are coming out with a load of generalisations about different things, such as basically footballers are bad role models and other sportsmen are good, that are quite ridiculous.

I very much sympathise with your health issues. I have no sympathy with some of the views you have expressed.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to get back on topic and the issue is really when would you have a mid winter break and if you did how would you arrange the fixture list.

I would personally keep the football at Christmas, besides which some midweek football has to be played anyway, may as well have it during Christmas.

I am not so much against a winter break it would help improve fitness in the 2nd half of the season. But the fixture list still has to be arranged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I please apologise for last night, felt really down and got a bit carried away.

I don't think a Winter break, would work, as its been said before our weather patterns are so mixed, no doubts, if they decided to have a Winter Break in January, February would be snowy.

And I imagine the only logical ave time, to have such a break, would be after 3rd round weekend, and restart on 4th round weekend.

What leagues would take the break, Premier League and Championship, as they are the clubs who have internationals.

Most years Leagues 1/2, have a winter break, which isn't scheduled, as most of those grounds, don't have adquote pitch coverings, so they can go a month without playing anyway.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to get back on topic and the issue is really when would you have a mid winter break and if you did how would you arrange the fixture list.

I would personally keep the football at Christmas, besides which some midweek football has to be played anyway, may as well have it during Christmas.

I am not so much against a winter break it would help improve fitness in the 2nd half of the season. But the fixture list still has to be arranged.

Scrapping FA Cup replays would free up a couple of dates. Playing the Capital One Cup 2nd Round games on the same day as the European games and having a single leg semi final would free up two more dates.

I would move the FA Cup 3rd round to the last Saturday before Christmas and have a break between the New Year's day games and the last Saturday in January when the 4th Round would be played as normal.
    I don't think a Winter break, would work, as its been said before our weather patterns are so mixed, no doubts, if they decided to have a Winter Break in January, February would be snowy.

There is a risk of that happening, but events like that in the UK are rare and in most seasons it wouldn't be a problem.

In the event of a severe spell of weather in December, the re-arranged games could be played during the winter break to ease fixture congestion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrapping FA Cup replays would free up a couple of dates. Playing the Capital One Cup 2nd Round games on the same day as the European games and having a single leg semi final would free up two more dates.

I would move the FA Cup 3rd round to the last Saturday before Christmas and have a break between the New Year's day games and the last Saturday in January when the 4th Round would be played as normal.

There is a risk of that happening, but events like that in the UK are rare and in most seasons it wouldn't be a problem.

In the event of a severe spell of weather in December, the re-arranged games could be played during the winter break to ease fixture congestion.

So staff who had arranged holidays around the winter break would then have to put those plans on hold due to the winter break? Season ticket holders who made plans around the winter break would have to change them? The Police etc who plan how best to man the games would suddenly have to call back officers etc? You can not arrange a winter break and then change it.

Replays can be a massive plus for some of the poorer clubs, We have seen that time and time again, Where a chairman has said due to a tv replay has enable enough money to come in to run the club for a year etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't like the FA Cup 3rd round fixtures to be played the Saturday before Christmas, as again it would devalue the FA Cup, and I don't no about over posters, but I always look forward to the 1st Saturday of the year, to me its one of the best football Saturdays of the year, the upsets, the dodgy grounds.

I think FA Cup Ties, would be more interesting, if thery were over in one day, but I doubt those lower league sides or Non League sides would think the same, a REplay, could mean they could buy an extra player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im guessing those who say FA Cup replays should be scrapped, are probably fans of Man U, Man City, Aresnal, Tottenham, Chelsea, whose, clubs, probably wish they didn't have to play in the FA Cup anyway, and replay money don't mean nothing to them.

On Sky Sports News the other day, they were saying Abroath playing Rangers last January, meant they could buy really good covers, for there pitch which helped get last weeks match on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The current system is not broken it works and works well.

Yes some managers and players would be up for it but there will be lots of things they would like that would not be a good idea.

If people really think the lack of success has anything to do the players not having a little break then they really are watching England games with their eyes closed or are very very drunk