Options

Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock

Comments

• Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've listened to the album 3 times through so far, helps that I have an hour drive each way for work, and I really like it, but I feel it is missing something from the previous album, and if somebody was wanting to get into the band I would say start with the first 2 albums

I would agree. I would suggest starting with the second album, The Strange Case Of, and then Halestorm, and then Into The Wild Life.

To be fair to Halestorm, though, I first saw them when they supported Shinedown in early 2012 and I've seen them at least half a dozen times since, so they have worked hard to get where they are in the UK today.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Into The Wild Life is just tame, it's very poor offering that feels like they've cynically dumbed their music down to appeal to a different audience.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree. I would suggest starting with the second album, The Strange Case Of, and then Halestorm, and then Into The Wild Life.

To be fair to Halestorm, though, I first saw them when they supported Shinedown in early 2012 and I've seen them at least half a dozen times since, so they have worked hard to get where they are in the UK today.

That's available on 7 Digital in 24 bit FLAC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Into The Wild Life is just tame, it's very poor offering that feels like they've cynically dumbed their music down to appeal to a different audience.

Is that down to the band, though?

They've been quite commercially successful in the US and that is bound to be a factor in the record companie's thinking whether people like it or not.

When I saw them live a few weeks ago there was nothing to suggest they were "toning it down" on stage.
  • Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Motorhead to play Glastonbury this year:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/14/patti-smith-pharrell-williams-and-more-sign-up-for-glastonbury-festival-2015

Should be good, lets hope they get some TV coverage out of it. :)
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richparr wrote: »
    Motorhead to play Glastonbury this year:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/14/patti-smith-pharrell-williams-and-more-sign-up-for-glastonbury-festival-2015

Should be good, lets hope they get some TV coverage out of it. :)
    \m/ ( `◉ _◉´)
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the Devin Townsend Project show at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday.

Best gig of my life.

First half was Z2, 2nd half was a By Request set. It is a show I will never ever forget.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They've been quite commercially successful in the US and that is bound to be a factor in the record companie's thinking whether people like it or not.

When I saw them live a few weeks ago there was nothing to suggest they were "toning it down" on stage.

I agree with this
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also don't think the new sound is particularly commercial. Different? Absolutely. But it almost psychedelic at times, I think, with some extended Zeppelin-esque instrumental jams. It is not the balls-to-the-wall hard-rock of the last album, but I don't see anything in there that is going to particularly appeal to the mainstream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I also don't think the new sound is particularly commercial. Different? Absolutely. But it almost psychedelic at times, I think, with some extended Zeppelin-esque instrumental jams. It is not the balls-to-the-wall hard-rock of the last album, but I don't see anything in there that is going to particularly appeal to the mainstream.

To be honest from when I've seen them live I would say they already have a pretty broad fanbase, they ceertainly attract a large female following and it went straight in at #10 in the album charts so they have obviouslt done something right.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see Blues Pills on friday in manchester, they were excellent, defo go and see them if you get a chance

These guys were support Raveneye, they were really good too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arh_bK0Cr-4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Went to see Blues Pills on friday in manchester, they were excellent, defo go and see them if you get a chance

These guys were support Raveneye, they were really good too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arh_bK0Cr-4

We're going to see them in Bristol on Thursday, really looking forward to it. Their album is superb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my early copy of The Burning Crows new album, Murder at the Gin House, this weekend and it is a very good album indeed.

Not for general sale until June I think but here's a taster in the meantime

Shine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orange Goblin tickets on sale tomorrow, try and bag me a pair and then try and persuade someone to come with me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The missus has agreed to come to Orange Goblin, well she does owe me after me attending the ballet with her the other week :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The missus has agreed to come to Orange Goblin, well she does owe me after me attending the ballet with her the other week :D

Nothing wrong with a good ballet :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We saw the Blues Pills last night, the first time I'd seen them and they were everything I hoped for and more. They were simply superb and Elin has got one of the best voices I have heard in years, absolutely stunning.

We met them afterwards as well and they were brilliant. Really nice people. :)
  • Options
    richparrrichparr Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I see Motorhead, Saxon and Girlschool have announced joint European dates for November, hopefully the same line-up will visit the UK as well, can't beat a bit of decent rock'n roll.

On another note, my AC/DC tickets arrived today. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw the Blues Pills last night, the first time I'd seen them and they were everything I hoped for and more. They were simply superb and Elin has got one of the best voices I have heard in years, absolutely stunning.

We met them afterwards as well and they were brilliant. Really nice people. :)

Was the closest i will get to being at 60's summer of love type gig, she is stunning but i couldn't take me eyes of Dorian's guitar playing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A joiner who came to do a job where i work put me on to these, Eldorado, enjoying what i have heard so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTnF8adZLw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A joiner who came to do a job where i work put me on to these, Eldorado, enjoying what i have heard so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTnF8adZLw

I enjoyed that. Must check out more of their stuff.

How about a 25 year old female blues rock singer/guitarist singing War Pigs?

https://youtu.be/-M-VxlRBbcc
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed that. Must check out more of their stuff.

How about a 25 year old female blues rock singer/guitarist singing War Pigs?

https://youtu.be/-M-VxlRBbcc

That's horrific. Nice telecaster though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it rather good :p
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Riders on the Storm enter with Doors open
    To bring raw dosage in the form of swarm locust
    Beatles and Byrds, they seem evil and absurd
    Gather with The Eagles who swerve to form herds
    Butterflies made of Iron ride the horizon
    Giving Creedence to the Revival of Posiedon
    Who feeds in the Clearwater, you fear slaughter
    The Lovecraft author pens the horror for tomorrow
    Zombies and walking dead stalk the Talking Heads
    Insects with open legs halt with awful dread
    All along the web, the thread remains red
    With bloodshed that led to where the Little Feet fled
    To lost places, thought lost for all ages
    With Small Faces sittin in walls of tall mazes
    That overlook The 13th Floor with long gazes
    Connected to the earthly core through Elevators
    Check, the Underground is made of Velvet
    Where butter-soft brothers talk tough on wax but ain't sell shit
    Every cracker that rap ain't the Elvis
    My Aqualung Cult-ivates the Blue Oyster shellfish
    I design my Pearls Before Swine
    And form rhymes to take you to a world before time
    Where living things coexisted with Crimson Kings
    Who on the Moon's Dark Side painted pretty things
    That illustrated lessons conceived by The Mothers of Invention
    Who also built a Stairway to Heaven
    It's a present only to be stolen by a thief
    The Judas Priest who unleashed his devil magic
    My mental fabric, too thick for Lenny Kravitz
    Who imitates Jimi Hendrix in every facet
    Semi-automatic rap heavy metal jackets
    Kill with mathematics and build with Black Sabbath

Edan - Rock and Roll
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbmXa39YCEo
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally caught up with Kurt Cobain : Montage of Heck last night & found it a powerful but great documentary. Has anyone else seen it ?