'Cheers' or 'Frasier'?

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, that's a good question. Both great, but if I had to choose one for sheer consistency of funniness, it would have to be Frasi...no, Chee...no, Fras....Arghhhh.

Okay, Frasier by a hairs breadth. Both great shows and characters, but Niles just tips the balance for me...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big fan of both shows but my vote goes to "Frasier". The first 4 or 5 seasons were just consistently superb but the quality did nosedive after that (apart from the final season which was somewhat of a return to form). Agree with previous comments re: Daphne's family. They were AWFUL. And Mel and Donnie also.
  • V1Chris21V1Chris21 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH loves Frasier and I'd seen neither so we watched Cheers then Frasier!

I feel cheers was good for the first few series then the whole Sam and Diane thing got really tiresome which spoilt the show for me. As for Frasier, I am now on series 7 and find that I laugh out loud several times each episode.

Frasier has become my favourite!
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh this is a Sophie's Choice!!! :(:(

Really tough..but at a push, it would have to be Frasier. :)
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for me. The best comedy ever made, imo.

I liked the first few series of Frasier a lot, but for me, it went right down hill in the later episodes.

Cheers also got worse as the years went on but unlike Frasier it didn't completely lose the plot.
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only saw the last couple of series of Cheers but has to be Cheers for me simply for Rebecca, she just used to set the screen alight and was one of my first telly crushes. yeah Im shallow...
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I voted Cheers.I have them all on DVD and never tire of them.

A much wider range of characters and I just found it funnier.Some of the funniest Frasier episodes were just scenarios they'd already done on Cheers.Alot of the same jokes too.

Not taking anything away from Frasier though it was good.Better than the so-called sitcoms nowadays.But despite Frasier been the star I was never a big fan of the episodes that were just about him.I preferred it to be about Niles and/or Martin as well.So I found it to be hit and miss.And it was a really poor show once Niles and Daphne got together.By season 10 Cheers was well past it's sell by date but never declined as much as Frasier.
  • dlmccabedlmccabe Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers. Consistent for 11 years, with great casts and it improved after both major cast changes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Frasier. I think the humour is more sophisticated and definitely less cruel than that in Cheers. Although I could have done without Millicent Martin as Daphne's mum and the excellent American actor whose name I can't recall playing her brother with an awful accent.

Frasier; But Niles, you are an eminent Psychiatrist..

Niles: Yes, but you were eminent when my eminence was merely imminent

:)
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    colin23 wrote: »
    Frasier. I think the humour is more sophisticated and definitely less cruel than that in Cheers. Although I could have done without Millicent Martin as Daphne's mum and the excellent American actor whose name I can't recall playing her brother with an awful accent.

Frasier; But Niles, you are an eminent Psychiatrist..

Niles: Yes, but you were eminent when my eminence was merely imminent

:)

I think you mean Anthony LaPaglia...... who surprisingly is Australian

He really had no excuse for such a poor British accent, surely all Aussies can do a Pom accent? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Yes thanks he's the one.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frasier by a country mile for me. Cheers was good, but Frasier was a class act. The greatest sitcom ever, in my view. And while Seasons 8, 9 and 10 were disappointments (because Joe Keenan and Christopher Lloyd left the writing team), Frasier's 11th (when they returned) was a glorious return to form. Season 4's Ham Radio is, for me, the funniest 30 minutes of television I've ever seen. And Frasier's finale was the best end of any sitcom.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frazier for me, but maybe it is I am in that middle of the ago when cheers was too adult for me but Frazier came at just the right time.

Mind you Frazier did have Sir Derek Jacobi as a guest star once, so maybe that makes me biased.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Season 4's Ham Radio is, for me, the funniest 30 minutes of television I've ever seen.

Roz: [with a mouthful of food] Infpactar, fhank goddies oo cam.

Frasier: Stop the watch. Roz, I have a line here that says, "When she opened her lips I caught a hint of some mixed exotic accent." You will notice it does not say, "When she opened her lips cheese fell out".
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frasier has stood the test of time as the (many) repeats will testify. Cheers not so much.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Frasier has stood the test of time as the (many) repeats will testify. Cheers not so much.

:eek: Explain please :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: Explain please :)

I've been thinking about this myself, and I think that whilst still being a comedy of course, Frasier often touched on some very painful issues such as fear of death, old age, or loneliness. I'm not saying Cheers didn't touch on these issues, but Frasier seemed to it in such a direct, open, raw, and heart felt manner that I think we could watch it at any stage of our lives, even years from now, and there'd probably still be something in there we could relate to on a very personal level. I think that adds a bit of a timeless element to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this myself, and I think that whilst still being a comedy of course, Frasier often touched on some very painful issues such as fear of death, old age, or loneliness. I'm not saying Cheers didn't touch on these issues, but Frasier seemed to it in such a direct, open, raw, and heart felt manner that I think we could watch it at any stage of our lives, even years from now, and there'd probably still be something in there we could relate to on a very personal level. I think that adds a bit of a timeless element to it.

Very good points. Was thinking along similar lines this morning. Random episodes I know, but as I was up with the lark caught a couple of 'Cheers' episodes from (I think) the last series and they were (unsurprisingly) great fun. (Frasier in the sack with Rebecca???!) Then saw the Frasier episode on C4 where he's bravely (and disastrously) trying to dine alone in a restaurant when he's feeling vulnerable and ends up at an airport with Linda Hamilton as a possible soulmate. (Nope. She's married.) Found it really quite touching.

As I said earlier in this thread, love both series, but Frasier is the one that can actually make me well up on a regular basis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good points. Was thinking along similar lines this morning. Random episodes I know, but as I was up with the lark caught a couple of 'Cheers' episodes from (I think) the last series and they were (unsurprisingly) great fun. (Frasier in the sack with Rebecca???!) Then saw the Frasier episode on C4 where he's bravely (and disastrously) trying to dine alone in a restaurant when he's feeling vulnerable and ends up at an airport with Linda Hamilton as a possible soulmate. (Nope. She's married.) Found it really quite touching.

As I said earlier in this thread, love both series, but Frasier is the one that can actually make me well up on a regular basis.

I recently watched the one where Frasier and Niles think Martin had an affair years earlier when they were kids. But it turns out it was their mother who had the affair, it was touching when Martin explained how he didn't want their memory of her to be spoiled despite the pain the affair had caused him, and how they went through a rough patch and it had almost ruined the marriage. Frasier and Martin then talked about how much they both missed her. It was brief, but so emotional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently watched the one where Frasier and Niles think Martin had an affair years earlier when they were kids. But it turns out it was their mother who had the affair, it was touching when Martin explained how he didn't want their memory of her to be spoiled despite the pain the affair had caused him, and how they went through a rough patch and it had almost ruined the marriage. Frasier and Martin then talked about how much they both missed her. It was brief, but so emotional.

Remember it. Beautifully played.

Another moment that really got me in an episode I saw again recently was when Frasier and Martin aren't getting along and he 'uses' his dad to try and get a date with a woman in a retirement home. Confusion, as always, reigns and Frasier thinks his dad actually wants to leave...and can't face the thought. Lovely stuff.
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just rewatching Cheers in the mornings, it’s awful, I loved it at the time, Frasier is so much better.
  • Indie97Indie97 Posts: 9,953
    Forum Member
    edited 21/03/19 - 08:04 #48

Remember it. Beautifully played.

Another moment that really got me in an episode I saw again recently was when Frasier and Martin aren't getting along and he 'uses' his dad to try and get a date with a woman in a retirement home. Confusion, as always, reigns and Frasier thinks his dad actually wants to leave...and can't face the thought. Lovely stuff.

Those are the sort of scenes that edges it for me. Frasier had more depth than cheers. The only time I thought cheers reached the sort of depths Frasier did was when Diane left and Sam pictured them as oaps dancing to what'll I do <3

I used to love Sam and Diane but I can see why Shelley long left because it was a bit samey. In the early years there was also something fonz like about Sam. He was considered the "cool dude" who all thd guys wanted to be like which I found annoying. There was none of that teenage like mentality in Frasier. Frasier was a more mature sitcom. Not every episode was a classic and there were some characters I didn't like (bebe and kate) but overall the best sitcom ever written imo
    Forum Member
    Season 4's Ham Radio is, for me, the funniest 30 minutes of television I've ever seen.

Roz: [with a mouthful of food] Infpactar, fhank goddies oo cam.

Frasier: Stop the watch. Roz, I have a line here that says, "When she opened her lips I caught a hint of some mixed exotic accent." You will notice it does not say, "When she opened her lips cheese fell out".

Not my fav episode but that line always makes me laugh :D
    Forum Member
    edited 21/03/19 - 08:11 #50
    Frasier by a country mile for me. Cheers was good, but Frasier was a class act. The greatest sitcom ever, in my view. And while Seasons 8, 9 and 10 were disappointments (because Joe Keenan and Christopher Lloyd left the writing team), Frasier's 11th (when they returned) was a glorious return to form. Season 4's Ham Radio is, for me, the funniest 30 minutes of television I've ever seen. And Frasier's finale was the best end of any sitcom.

I love series 8 9 and 10. It fast forwards the Niles Daphne relationship from Daphne getting to know about niles' feelings for her, to their first sexual encounter, complete honesty, marriage, illness. a glimpse of their future life together with a newborn baby. Everything about life is contained in those 3 series <3
  • Flower_1485Flower_1485 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier all the way
    Who can forget “Daphne’s Room “ 🤣?