Options

Absolute Radio Launch Sunday Evening Chart Show

FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
Forum Member
For all those that will miss Radio 1's Top 40 on Sunday afternoons and for those that remember the charts when they were unmissable listening Absolute are filling the gap starting next month.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/04/absolute-80s-to-introduce-sunday-night-chart/

Although it would have been a real coup to involve Bruno Brookes.

Comments

• Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited to hear this. I'll be tuned in every Sunday!
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just need a dab radio with a tape deck :D
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read about this I thought - Great!, then again will it be a complete top 40 they will be counting down?. If that is the case it would be so good to be able to here tracks that you do not get to hear these days anywhere else but if it is two top 20s it will be a shame.

I do really hope we get to hear whole top 40 rundowns and tracks we do not get to hear much now.
  • Options
    SohoSoho Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    For all those that will miss Radio 1's Top 40 on Sunday afternoons and for those that remember the charts when they were unmissable listening Absolute are filling the gap starting next month.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/04/absolute-80s-to-introduce-sunday-night-chart/

Although it would have been a real coup to involve Bruno Brookes.

They're 20 years too late.

Those poor rock fans working at Absolute HQ must have been cringing like anything once they heard the news.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »

I do really hope we get to hear whole top 40 rundowns and tracks we do not get to hear much now.

If they do then that will make Sunday's on that station really good with the Forgotten 80's show on afterwards.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    So they're basically ripping-off Pick of the Pops!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As a certain Mr Blackburn works for Bauer they could have asked him to do it. :D
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member

If they do feature a complete Top 40 then it will be different from POTP as they will feature a lot of 'long lost' songs that just managed to scrape into the Top 40.

Of course the other difference is I'm assuming, as the show is on Abs 80's it will only feature 80's charts.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    If they do feature a complete Top 40 then it will be different from POTP as they will feature a lot of 'long lost' songs that just managed to scrape into the Top 40.

Of course the other difference is I'm assuming, as the show is on Abs 80's it will only feature 80's charts.
    Its just 80's charts.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really does need a Radio One DJ from the 80's.
  • Options
    phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really does need a Radio One DJ from the 80's.

Richard Skinner could host this chart he sometimes works for Bauer covering shows on Magic and Planet Rock and has worked on Absolute 70's and Absolute Radio when they were under different ownership.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say Richard Skinner would be great hosting this show.
    I'm guessing they'll do a 10 week cycle - from 1980 through 1989 then back again, given the limited amount of years to pick from. It means most hits from a particular year will get played at some point. Also. since it's 3 hours hopefully all the top 40 will be played, and maybe there's room to play some tracks from the top 10 albums. Hope I'm not getting my hopes up to be disappointed.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    If they wanted to be innovative and try something new perhaps they could ask listeners to guess what year, or even date the featured chart was from
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll reserve judgement until I've heard it, but I fear it'll be heavily skewed towards their narrow playlist with lots of Bangles, Prince, Belinda Carlisle etc.

Can we expect at least the top 20 in full I wonder?

Martin Lee isn't the right choice of presenter either.
  • Options
    SohoSoho Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    If they wanted to be innovative and try something new perhaps they could ask listeners to guess what year, or even date the featured chart was from

Can you not think of something completely new?

Something that the majority of radio stations have not repeatedly done in the last 30 odd years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I'll reserve judgement until I've heard it, but I fear it'll be heavily skewed towards their narrow playlist with lots of Bangles, Prince, Belinda Carlisle etc.

Can they play 40 records with ad breaks in 3 hours? If not then they may skip through songs.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Can they play 40 records with ad breaks in 3 hours? If not then they may skip through songs.

You are right there. If songs are skipped, you can bet it'll be those Absolute like to pretend never existed in the eighties, like pop, dance and SAW :) >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

You will reserve judgement till you hear it yet dismiss Martin (sic) Lee as the wrong presenter? What's wrong with Martyn?

One thing is that if this show runs for any length of time then you are going to get pretty much a repeated show every year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    You will reserve judgement till you hear it yet dismiss Martin (sic) Lee as the wrong presenter? What's wrong with Martyn?

One thing is that if this show runs for any length of time then you are going to get pretty much a repeated show every year.
    Maybe not. They could alternate different years to different months.
  • Options
    steveciscostevecisco Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    They should be able to play all the Top 40 in 3 hours Mercia Sound use to manage it on Sunday Afternoons in the early 80s. Radio Orwell managed playing the full Top 30 in 2 and half hours without cutting songs, for all the Hometapers in the early 80's too..

Presnter wise Richard Skinner, Gary Davies, Kid Jensen , Pat Sharp, Mark Goodier or Shaun Tilley would be ideal, as Burno Brookes has sadly hung up his headphones.
  • Options
    Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    The Radio Today article says the retro show on Absolute 80s starts in May, but when ?

This 1st weekend of May?.

Nothing has been updated in the station´s website.

Thanks.