Danny Dyer needs to drop this geezer act..

124»

Comments

• p381p381 Posts: 5,936
    Forum Member
    The Keith Allen who was born in Swansea to middle-class parents, his father being an officer in the Royal Navy, who attended private school (and sent Lily to private school too) and who now makes a living out of being a "Mockney Cockney" you mean? :rolleyes: Completely inappropriate example there! He's pulled the wool over your eyes though has he? Why have you called him a millionaire in your first post and then called him working class? Do you think he worked his way up from the street? I find him more obviously putting on an act than Dyer is.

I agree.

At least Danny Dyer IS actually from a working class background.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like to say I had heard of London's East End before Guy Ritchie came along ;):D

Not saying that you hadn't heard of the EE, I was talking about the accent - so many people seem to think that anyone that now speaks with a thick cockney accent 'must be putting it on', because that's what most of the actors in Guy Ritchie films, or dodgy soap operas do.

I like actually DD's accent, and don't have a problem with it all, but then again I was born in the east end and it reminds me of being in school...
  • Miss SpentyouthMiss Spentyouth Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I was just ribbing ya ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just ribbing ya ;)

Fair enough :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    symoneh wrote: »
    I've met Danny Dyer a couple of times and to be honest that's the way he is.

He's from Canning Town (same as me), still lives there and anyone who's ever met anyone from Canning Town will know that that is what they are all like. I know every thinks that (thanks to Guy Ritchie) its all an act, but in Canning Town that is exactly how everyone talks and acts. Quite funny actually.

Danny Dyer is not from Canning Town, he is from Custom House - just a couple of streets away from me and, although he talks like a bell end, i can tell you that the majority of the people that live here dont talk like pricks, we dont need to - we know where we come from and dont need to put on a tough comical east end accent in order to prove we are proper eastenders - the only people that do that are trying to be like someone they have seen from notorious ganster films (thanks to the Krays).

All my family have lived here since we were born and none of us sound like we are extras in a Guy Ritchie film - alright Geeza.

Actually, Perry Fenwick (Billy Mitchell) sounds more like someone from round here - well he is from round here, but he doesnt strong it like Dyer does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this country so obsessed with class? Who cares about how people want to be? Do you think that if he 'dropped' his 'act' he would speak like a posh boy? The situation you are born into does NOT define you.
    Forum Member
    Vaseline wrote: »
    Why is this country so obsessed with class? Who cares about how people want to be? Do you think that if he 'dropped' his 'act' he would speak like a posh boy? The situation you are born into does NOT define you.

hear hear - i actually find it insulting that people think that i would talk like i havent had an education, i never put on any accent, you need to be true to yourself. The only time i ever talk like Danny Dyer is when i am taking the piss out of him or someone other little knob that thinks he is the bollocks because he can put on a mockney accent.

I think Danny Dyer has spent so long talking and acting like this that he has forgotten what he really sounds like, it has made him famous and good luck to him for that although is it his accent that has made him mmore famous lately? Unfortunatley, it has also made him arrogant and unintentionally comedic, he is proud to be thought of as a bit of rough, sad really.

Its starting to grate on people now though, at first it was amusing and nice to see someone you have seen around for years make it to the big time but now its starting to get a little bit too much for people to stomach. I dont really know anyone round here with a good word to say about him apart from his family of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SexiLexi04 wrote: »
    Danny Dyer is not from Canning Town, he is from Custom House - just a couple of streets away from me and, although he talks like a bell end, i can tell you that the majority of the people that live here dont talk like pricks, we dont need to - we know where we come from and dont need to put on a tough comical east end accent in order to prove we are proper eastenders - the only people that do that are trying to be like someone they have seen from notorious ganster films (thanks to the Krays).

All my family have lived here since we were born and none of us sound like we are extras in a Guy Ritchie film - alright Geeza.

Actually, Perry Fenwick (Billy Mitchell) sounds more like someone from round here - well he is from round here, but he doesnt strong it like Dyer does.

Don't Canning Town and Custom House share the same post code, E16? Sorry for the 1/4 mile geographical error but when I was growing up and going to school in Canning Town in the late 70's early 80's everyone sounded like that!

And all my family lived there as well, so no offence is intended, and I did'nt say that they sound like Guy Ricthie Extras I was trying to get the point across that people think that its a 'put on' accent because of GR movies, Jeez.

And actually The Krays, who were from Bethnal Green, publicly spoke very politely, and acted like gentlemen because part of their facade was mixing with a lot of, what was percieved at the the time as, High Society.

Don't know who Perry is so can't comment....
    Forum Member
    Double Post
    Forum Member
    symoneh wrote: »
    Don't Canning Town and Custom House share the same post code, E16? Sorry for the 1/4 mile geographical error but when I was growing up and going to school in Canning Town in the late 70's early 80's everyone sounded like that!

And all my family lived there as well, so no offence is intended, and I did'nt say that they sound like Guy Ricthie Extras I was trying to get the point across that people think that its a 'put on' accent because of GR movies, Jeez.

And actually The Krays, who were from Bethnal Green, publicly spoke very politely, and acted like gentlemen because part of their facade was mixing with a lot of, what was percieved at the the time as, High Society.

Don't know who Perry is so can't comment....

What school did you go to - was it woodside, cumberland or Eastleigh?

Canning Town is more of a run down area than custom house and there are alot of differences - well there are if you ask someone that lives there now.

Im sorry i didnt mean to come across as having a go - merely correcting that not all of us actually speak like we only went to primary school (alot of them do but you used a generalisation that EVERYONE from Canning Town - or Custom House - spoke like him), thats what i took exception to.

I love this area so please forgive me for fighting for a bit of respectability for it, we arent all Neanderthals.

Also if you look at my last post, i dont think the accent is put on now, i think he has done it for so long that its actually the way he speaks but it did start as a put on accent in order for him to get roles. He wasnt that brash when i used to see him around - unless he had an audience of course then it just comes naturally, he is a performer after all.
  • p381p381 Posts: 5,936
    Forum Member
    IMO it just seems like there's a lot of jealousy going on here.
    Danny Dyer is a sex symbol & some guys might not be able to accept that.

Whether he's "putting on an act" or not, i don't really care. [Somehow, i don't think he speaks like Hugh Grant when he's at home!:rolleyes:]

I'm just happy to see someone from a working class background do well.
    Forum Member
    p381 wrote: »
    IMO it just seems like there's a lot of jealousy going on here.
    Danny Dyer is a sex symbol & some guys might not be able to accept that.

Whether he's "putting on an act" or not, i don't really care. [Somehow, i don't think he speaks like Hugh Grant when he's at home!:rolleyes:]

I'm just happy to see someone from a working class background do well.

What does class have to do with it? He is a normal guy yeah and it is nice to see someone (anyone) do well at their chosen profession.

I dont like him for personal reasons, i used to until there was an incident involving one of my young nephews, then my opinion of him totally changed, it also winds me up that he continually tries to act like this macho hard east end gangster when, in fact, he comes from quite a decent family, salt of the earth types.

But i spose its whatever floats your boat really!!! My mate in work absolutely adores him and asks me to put on his voice just so she can imagine being in the same room as him...its a bit disturbing even more so because i am a female, but after reading all these posts perhaps i can make some money from opening up a premium rate phone line to danny dyer fans.

Any thoughts?!
  • mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    I don't think he goes around acting hard at all. He's more of a jack the lad image. The majority of this thread all seem to have a problem with him because he has a cockney accent!

I think he's great. :)

He is a bit of a jack the lad. My OH had several nights out with him before he became famous (friend of a friend). How he talks is exactly how he is. A couple of years ago he randonly phoned my OH to invite him to some all night party, I don't think he realised who he was calling, I think he was just going through all his contacts on his moblie. We should have recorded it :cool:

In regard to these hard man roles, he can't help the work he gets can he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks Dyer is truly hard should watch the Rangers-Celtic episode of 'Football Factories'.

Dyer was shaking so hard due to the intense atmosphere you would have been excused for thinking the cameraman was having a epileptic fit...

That episode was hilarious :D I've been to a few auld firm games, but my god they're not that bad :eek:
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fellow cockney I have to say that I'm embarassed for Dyer and his " pwoper nawtee" routine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SexiLexi04 wrote: »
    What school did you go to - was it woodside, cumberland or Eastleigh?

Canning Town is more of a run down area than custom house and there are alot of differences - well there are if you ask someone that lives there now.

Im sorry i didnt mean to come across as having a go - merely correcting that not all of us actually speak like we only went to primary school (alot of them do but you used a generalisation that EVERYONE from Canning Town - or Custom House - spoke like him), thats what i took exception to.

I love this area so please forgive me for fighting for a bit of respectability for it, we arent all Neanderthals.

Also if you look at my last post, i dont think the accent is put on now, i think he has done it for so long that its actually the way he speaks but it did start as a put on accent in order for him to get roles. He wasnt that brash when i used to see him around - unless he had an audience of course then it just comes naturally, he is a performer after all.

Fair enough. And you're right, he probably does overplay his acent somewhat.

Ravenscroft then Cumberland, when it was in at the old site which I think is now houses! (and got grades good enough for Uni so it was'nt all bad...)

I lived in Canning Town till I was 13, then moved away. Is Rathbone Stret Market still there?