It's the FIVES way or the Highway for Currys & PC World staff

Comments

• BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "What brings you to Currys today?"

"Erm, your mums standing outside and asked if I could pass these Dairylee triangle sandwiches and carton of Ribena to you, she also said that the shop didn't have pickled onion monster munch so she had to get quavers".

sooo, about that gold plated HDMI lead?
  • Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What brings you to Currys today?

"I'm hungry, I'll have a chicken tikka masala, naan bread, rice and chips please, I'll be over watching the TVs until it's ready..."
  • sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Well, I quite like the sound of your Lamb Rogan Josh."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sHaK wrote: »

"Well, I quite like the sound of your Lamb Rogan Josh."

Groban Josh is much nicer.
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be alright in PC World then, where the shop floor staff disappear or ignore you.

Or Halfords or Sports Direct where the staff hide in the back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think a good salesman really only needs one thing: knowledge. If they have the answer to every single question I throw at them they will probably get a sale. Trying some scripted patter on me is more likely to alienate and insult me, tbh.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    They can try it on me if they like, but I'll stick with my stock answer.

"I'm just looking"
    "What do you have in mind"
    "With all due respect, if I want assistance I'll come and find you, cheers"

If they try the whateverhappens thing, I'll just ignore it and carry on with my business as I am there looking for what I first came in for, not what the salesman wants me to look for.

If it gets as far as the salebox I'll just tell him to f*ck off, and take my business elsewhere if he carries on.

Easy.

I'll take the easier approach and never set foot in a DSG store for the overpriced, poor quality tat that they pressure sell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Must agree that's the best approach,don't go in there.

Once they get the message and have salespeople who are informed about the products and want to help the customer not sell them stuff they don't need then it's time to go back.

And if a customer goes back with a product that doesn't work properly help them don't give them the number of the manufacturer to ring.

They bought it from DSG so DSG staff should sort out the problem.

Put the customer first for a change and you will end up with more sales.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The staff will have sales targets. It's sad, but they'll be monitored in how many extra things they have sold... probably preying on naive people who believe Norton is the only antivirus and the only way to connect to your router is with a wireless adaptor.

I used to work for DSG and each member of staff is given a personal sales target every week. A certain percentage of their target MUST be made up of extended warranties and another certain MUST be made up of accessories eg discs, leads etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    Personally I think a good salesman really only needs one thing: knowledge. If they have the answer to every single question I throw at them they will probably get a sale. Trying some scripted patter on me is more likely to alienate and insult me, tbh.

I agree with this. When I first worked for DSG I was sent away on a weeks' training course with about 15 other people from various local stores. I expected to be taught all about the technical side of the products we were selling, but this was never even touched upon. We were only taught sales techniques.

If they want confidant sales staff, they should teach them about the products - then the conversation with the customers would be more natural. Customers don't like talking to robots, who know no more about the product than they do.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »

If they want confidant sales staff, they should teach them about the products - then the conversation with the customers would be more natural. Customers don't like talking to robots, who know no more about the product than they do.

When I go into Currys, I have already done my homework about the products I am interested in, and generally find I know a lot more technical data than the salesperson. If I do get a pushy salesperson, I ask them technical questions about the products. Most of them vanish as quickly as they can. The ones who do know what they are talking about, they are the ones I will deal with. And if I do buy a product, and I get the spiel about extended warranty, I just say 'not interested'. If they repeat the spiel, I just repeat myself, 'not interested'. Generally, they give up.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    :o I like Curry's. I've always found the staff friendly, unobtrusive-but-present, and helpful. I've never been delivered a spiel and although occasionally they'll mention warranties etc, none of them have ever pushed it, and I consider it on its own merits. Sometimes a warranty is actually appropriate for me.

Me too.
    DonEverly wrote: »
    Must agree that's the best approach,don't go in there.

Once they get the message and have salespeople who are informed about the products and want to help the customer not sell them stuff they don't need then it's time to go back.

And if a customer goes back with a product that doesn't work properly help them don't give them the number of the manufacturer to ring.

They bought it from DSG so DSG staff should sort out the problem.

Put the customer first for a change and you will end up with more sales.

I've twice had to take goods back and not had this happen - first time laptop sent away and repaired, second time replaced with a better spec item.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear it.

I had hassle from them when I took a faulty product back so haven't used them in years.

Now if I buy from say Amazon it's often cheaper often free delivery and still arrives within a few days.
    If it's faulty I send back free of charge they pick it up and I get a refund or replacement no quibble.

That's why I'd use Amazon rather than Curry's.

And with Curry's sometimes the comp you buy has been returned by someone else and there is still their personal info on it.

And to be completely fair this can happen with Argos as well you can tell that the product has been returned by a previous customer.

Everything I've had from Amazon has always looked completely new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Me too.

I've twice had to take goods back and not had this happen - first time laptop sent away and repaired, second time replaced with a better spec item.

DSG has a different arrangement with each manufacturer for replacements and repairs. I would imagine this is the case with most shops. So for one item you return to Currys you might be given a new one straight away, whereas another one will be sent back to the manufacturer to be checked and repaired, if it can't be repaired at that stage then it will be replaced.

Some Currys stores have an engineer on site who will try to repair the item, but they are only allowed to tackle certain things - other items would still have to be sent away.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    The few times I've gone in there getting any service at all has been a mission.

Their best 'service' is to tell me that they have what I want round the back and then go hide.

If people have taken to hiding from you when you go in, i'd start to take a look at the way i look/smell and act when in public, perhaps you are a **** without knowing it.:D
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    "What brings you to Currys today"

" I just wanted to ask if you know where the nearest branch of Comet is ? "

Keyboard splutter!:D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    They can try it on me if they like, but I'll stick with my stock answer.

"I'm just looking"
    "What do you have in mind"
    "With all due respect, if I want assistance I'll come and find you, cheers"

If they try the whateverhappens thing, I'll just ignore it and carry on with my business as I am there looking for what I first came in for, not what the salesman wants me to look for.

If it gets as far as the salebox I'll just tell him to f*ck off, and take my business elsewhere if he carries on.

Easy.
    Indeed - IF I am ever in their stores, this would be near enough my reply and when they think they've got to the next stage, I'll just keep saying 'I'm fine/just looking/etc for now thank you'
    stoatie wrote: »
    "Funny you should ask, actually. I just fancied a spot of shoplifting, and the security guard at Toys R Us is built like a brick shithouse".
    :D:D:D:D:D:D Nice one.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just answer that you are looking for (a) bargains or (b) a comprehensive range of products, which neither Currys nor PC World seem able to provide, so that should stop the sales drone in his tracks quite nicely.
  • TheBoingoBanditTheBoingoBandit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »

Or at least the ability to find out the answer. Nobody can know everything.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What brings you to Currys today?

"I'm hungry, I'll have a chicken tikka masala, naan bread, rice and chips please, I'll be over watching the TVs until it's ready..."

:D:D:D:D Love it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    When i worked for Granada TV & Rentals many moons ago i had a simple sales strategy - i sold you what you wanted, yes maybe i got you to a higher budget than you planned but it was because the person told me what they wanted and i gave them options, it must have worked because i had a very high level of repeat customer from people i sold equipment too.

Nowadays its all target based and the quality tends to slip, i dont want 10 people jumping in front of me when i walk through the door but neither do i want to search for staff and find non available - shops needs to find the balance between pushy and stand offish....

Targets for selling warranties.

I used to work for Dixons in 2001 and at a time when PDAs (remember them!) used to cost between £100 and £500, I used to sell quite a few a day. However, because I worked in the CIty of London where everyone buys a new Porsche when the old one gets dirty, very few people bought the extended warraties which I was reluctant to push. Despite selling a £500 PDA, my boss wouldn't be that interested unless I had sold a warranty with it.

Despite enjoying the job and helping customers, I left after nine months simply because of this issue. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I used to work for DSG and each member of staff is given a personal sales target every week. A certain percentage of their target MUST be made up of extended warranties and another certain MUST be made up of accessories eg discs, leads etc.

Yup, and it's sad because the staff can be the most helpful, friendliest people in the world but they'll be "bad" at their job because they're not selling things to people who don't want or need them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post, nothing to see here. :o
  • SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why buy in store when you can buy online cheaper?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlowRap wrote: »
    Why buy in store when you can buy online cheaper?

Waiting for delivery, if you are waiting in all day for a delivery you either lose a day's pay, waste a day of your holiday allowance or waste your day off.

If it's faulty it's more of the same.

Sometimes you have to look at the + and - of buying from the web and it doesn't suit everyone.