Humax Foxsat HDR EPG issues

RebtechRebtech Posts: 47
Forum Member
Issue 1: presumably due to the clocks going back last night, recording is knacked. The time seems to be off by an hour and progs to be recorded are not marked as such, but clicking on them brings up the cancel diabox. So I've been going through them, cancelling then resetting, just to be sure.

Issue 2: more serious, or at least longer lasting, for a while now, the EPG has had little info when I first go in, then takes ages to fill up for next and subsequent days. It can be a real pain sometimes. I've been known to set up a recording manually rather than wait, but that's not ideal.

I'm using a dual LNB with two cables and of the four signal figures, none is below 90%. My loader is the original but my firmware is up to date. The machine worked fine (well, like all the others) for well over a year but this EPG prob started maybe a couple of months ago.

Any ideas?

Comments

• carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like for whatever reason your EPG isn't downloading properly. Issue 2 would probably cause Issue 1.

If it were me I'd do a factory preset. If that doesn't cure it, I can't think of much else except the LNB or swap the box for a new one.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You most likely have lost contact with the Freesat home transponder on EB1 (11427 H). The epg data you are getting is coming from the actual channels. Go into manual tune dial up 11427 H (it might say 11428 H). And see what signal strength and quality you have.
  • RebtechRebtech Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    You most likely have lost contact with the Freesat home transponder on EB1 (11427 H). The epg data you are getting is coming from the actual channels. Go into manual tune dial up 11427 H (it might say 11428 H). And see what signal strength and quality you have.

0%! So I guess that's a new LNB wanted, then. Thanks. (Also to carvell.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I had Spooks on series record and it didn't record last night's episode - the first one after the change from BST to GMT on the weekend. Next week's recording has the record icon on it.

Has anyone been able to confirm if this is a bug similar to the iPhone's alarm clock?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    patrick0 wrote: »
    I had Spooks on series record and it didn't record last night's episode - the first one after the change from BST to GMT on the weekend. Next week's recording has the record icon on it.

Has anyone been able to confirm if this is a bug similar to the iPhone's alarm clock?

Present and correct on my hdr. BBC1 WM
  • mgbgtmgbgt Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    My recording of Desperate Housewives on E4 (?) on Sunday night there got screwed up and ended up recording the programme that came on after. Then The Event last night had the same issue. I ended up going right through my recording list cancelling & reinstating all the series recordings - I could see some of them were screwed up, but I did them all just in case. E4, C4 & ITV2 seemed to be the culprits.

This has happened the odd time before so I just thought it was E4 screwing up on Sunday night, but when The Event failed last night, it twigged it was probably some bug relating to putting the clocks back. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Anything with manually adjusted start/end times will be an hour out.
    Anything left on the default padding or accurate recording will be OK.

So my BBC/ITV are OK, but CH4/5 which I manually pad needed to be updated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I didn't manually adjust my times at all. I'm on BBC 1 London.

I noticed as I went to watch it half an hour after it started and it wasn't recording.

I hope this new firmware fixes some of the bugs people are getting with missed recordings.

It would be good if the Humax box kept an error log that could be viewed by the menu system or perhaps via connecting to the box over the network. At least that'd make diagnosing problems like this a bit easier.
  • mgbgtmgbgt Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    tv-Addict wrote: »
    Anything with manually adjusted start/end times will be an hour out.
    Anything left on the default padding or accurate recording will be OK.

So my BBC/ITV are OK, but CH4/5 which I manually pad needed to be updated.

All my recordings are set to the default padding/accurate recording, so the cause must lie somewhere else. Forgot to say I'm using a Foxsat HDR!
  • RebtechRebtech Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Rebtech wrote: »
    0%! So I guess that's a new LNB wanted, then. Thanks. (Also to carvell.)

New LNB installed today, problem solved! :)
  • firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member

My signal strength is fine, but my Guide only updates if no channels are recording. If I don't manually trigger the Guide update every few days, blanks appear throughout. Surely the box should download some data automatically overnight?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My signal strength is fine, but my Guide only updates if no channels are recording. If I don't manually trigger the Guide update every few days, blanks appear throughout. Surely the box should download some data automatically overnight?

The guide can't update from the home transponder while recording because it has to use a tuner 1 to do so. I virtually never use the guide button using the buffered epg (Schedule and Red). Not seen any gaps in the epg. The epg should update for the next few days using the data transmitted along with the broadcasts.

A full epg update should only take about 30 seconds.

What signal strength/quality do you get by selecting Menu/Setup/Manual Tune and changing the transponder from all to 11427 H 27500 2/3 (yours might say 11428) ?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    But why if no recoding is taking place does it insist on blank the current live TV channel when you go into the EPG. Does it forget it has another tuner it can use?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    But why if no recoding is taking place does it insist on blank the current live TV channel when you go into the EPG. Does it forget it has another tuner it can use?

It's only set up to use tuner 1. It does not if you use schedule and red.
    Forum Member
    Yes I know. Which leaves my questioned unanswered.
  • firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member

What signal strength/quality do you get by selecting Menu/Setup/Manual Tune and changing the transponder from all to 11427 H 27500 2/3 (yours might say 11428) ?

I have a signal quality of 100/70 on that frequency which I followed from your earlier helpful advice on this thread.

I normally scan through the guide on a weekly basis to record the next seven days worth of programs. I thought maybe I had a faulty box as I couldn't retrieve full listings if it was recording anything.

I could understand it if both tuners were in use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I know. Which leaves my questioned unanswered.

Well you should address that question to Humax should you not ?
    Forum Member
    So you know of no sound technical reason why it is the way it is. Just a bit of crap design after all. Glad we have that clear now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    So you know of no sound technical reason why it is the way it is. Just a bit of crap design after all. Glad we have that clear now.

Not everything is as it should be; as the tone of your post portrays. :)
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine adjusted fine. No manual adjustment needed, all programmes recorded ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

May be but it does not affect me in any way. The last time i pressed the guide button was after a reset to change the postcode weeks ago.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I set a recording,it records,I upload my HD cam files,they play in HD.If I want to see what is on I look on the epg and if there is something I want to record I record it and then watch it at a later date.This is what I bought it for,and it does it very well.:)
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I virtually never use the guide button using the buffered epg (Schedule and Red). Not seen any gaps in the epg. The epg should update for the next few days using the data transmitted along with the broadcasts.

At the beginning of the week and today I noticed some gaps. This afternoon I noticed that next Tuesday night going into Wednesday morning there was a 6 or 7 hour period where there were gaps on BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, ITV2 and a few others however ITV1, ITV2+1, ITV3, Channel 4 (as did most of the other 200 or so channels) had a full complement of EPG data.

I didn't pay much attention at the beginning of the week however I seem to note on a quick inspection that EPG data was missing for a few hours on channel 5 for one of the days but all the other channels on the first 4 or 5 pages of the guide had data for that same period.

Signal strength and quality wise nothings changed on the Freesat home transponder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the beginning of the week and today I noticed some gaps. This afternoon I noticed that next Tuesday night going into Wednesday morning there was a 6 or 7 hour period where there were gaps on BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, ITV2 and a few others however ITV1, ITV2+1, ITV3, Channel 4 (as did most of the other 200 or so channels) had a full complement of EPG data.

I didn't pay much attention at the beginning of the week however I seem to note on a quick inspection that EPG data was missing for a few hours on channel 5 for one of the days but all the other channels on the first 4 or 5 pages of the guide had data for that same period.

Signal strength and quality wise nothings changed on the Freesat home transponder.

Just booted the hdr, pressed schedule and red. There are no gaps in the epg anywhere.

11428 H as usual strength 90% qual 80%