Options

MAC is soo overrated!

Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just not liking this trend over MAC. Whenever I go into a department store there will always be a herd of sheep where mac is, and no-one where they sell decent quality products. I think Mac sucks monkeys!! It really does. At first when I first bought some products I was so excited because all the gurus on youtube used them. And I was just so happy. But over time, i just realised they are so awful. They are just on par with somedrugstore products. The concealer that I bought is horrendous! Even my cheap ass elf concealer is miles better. I have to admit they have an amazing colour range, you can find any colour you envision in your mind there. And the brushes are really really good. But that aside i just think the company is so ridiculously overprices and overrated. The lip sticks i have arent long wearing. I have the clear lip glass and its literally like putting glue on my lips, it's so sticky :( I bought fix plus and the bottle broke, and alot of the product leaked out. Blarghz. I dont like MAC at all. The next time i am going to buy an expensive brand I shall try NARS or benift. I mean I know MAC doesnt test on animals which is really good but it is so overrated and not worth it. So I was just wondering if you guys felt the same, or if you actually do love mac and dont get what I'm talking about. And I shall be looking forward to hearing your thoughts below :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    each to their own...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I use mac's mineral powder, bronzer and concealer also some eyeshadows I personally think they are the great!! and last a while so even though you do pay a lot you get a good few months out of each product :) I don't however like their foundation its too heavy but I use clinque repair wear which is amazing!!
  • Options
    LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love MAC because they're one of the few companies that acknowledge black and asian skin tones.

NARS, Illamasqa and Bobbi Brown do to, but I have to go into Selfridges to get my fix :(
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought quite a few products from MAC in the past, but I've never ended up with anything so amazing that I repurchased when I finished it.

I like their foundation primer (but have replaced it with a cheaper and skin-friendlier ELF one) and I used to love their high coverage foundation when I had bad skin. I have a couple of nice MAC eyeshadows and lipsticks, but since I rarely wear eyeshadow or proper lipstick they're in no danger of needing replacing anytime soon. The gel eyeliner is good too, but I'm not skilled enough to apply it perfectly so stick to a kohl pencil or felt-tip-type eyeliner.

I do have a few MAC makeup brushes, which although they were expensive, are excellent quality and are proving to be good investments.
  • Options
    DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Mac lipstick which is ok but nothing special if i'm feeling flush i like Laura Mercier :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Benefit is good stuff, but you don't get the wide range of colours you get with MAC. Despite their packaging, Benefit products mostly err on the conservative and subtle side.

Shu Uemura is my brand of choice. They have a good range of colours, and some interesting products.
  • Options
    malspiemalspie Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I consider myself to be a cosmetics junkie, but I have to agree with the OP. I have occasionally bought a Mac product after reading recommendations from make-up artists and have been disappointed. Also not keen on Clinique which are again overrated IMO. My favourite brands are Chanel, Guerlain, YSL and Bobbi Brown. Good, less expensive brands are Revlon, Bourjois and Accessorise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same with any brand: there are going to be hit and misses on certain products. Mac I find are excellent for eyeshadows, and as you said, brushes. However, the rest of their products (such as the lip glass, nail polish etc) I'm just not a fan of, and their foundations and concealers certainly do not work for my skin type whatsoever.

On the other hand, I love Benefit's lipglosses, concealer, blushers and lip/cheek stains in particular (and they are my go-to brand, I adore them) but their foundations don't work for me at all.

Bobbi Brown are brilliant for moisturizers, foundations and concealers... any face product I need I buy from them. However, like the others some products are outstanding and others fall flat on their face... in this case, it is their lipsticks I'm not too keen on.

Every brand has their successes and failures, it's just trial and error at the end of the day. Not all brands are suited to certain skin types either, due to their formula etc. However, don't give up on Mac just yet... read loads of reviews before purchasing anything, their eyeshadows are usually very high in quality. It may be that you need an eyeshadow base (such as too faced eyeshadow insurance) to make the eyeshadows last longer, and give a better colour pay off- many people suffer from oily eyelids without realising, which can affect how their eyeshadow looks. It's worth a go, especially if you have Mac products sitting around the place :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    I love MAC. I absolutely adore their brushes and never go anywhere else for brushes, foundation and eyeliner. I use their Studio Tech which is a bit heavy for some but the trick is you only have to use a tiny amount for excellent coverage. It makes my skin look flawless and because you only have to use barely any it lasts ages. MAC's kohl eyeliner is vastly superior to Benefit's bad gal, but I'm not a big fan of MAC's mascaras I always stick to Dior show for mascara.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I do like them for their range of colours in foundations and eyeshadows but I agree that they are overrated. I've had some cheaper brands of makeup that I've been just as happy with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as someone above said..each to there own... i love mac...i know if there is a certain colour i am looking for etc mac will have it. I wear their lipsticks, blushers and foundation everysingle day and love them!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    As with most brands, I find MAC to be rather hit and miss- I hate their foundations and concealers as I find them far too orange and I fail to see who would have undertones as orange as that, I also think their blushers are really poor quality too, so I stick to NARS, they're expensive but they last for years and I always go back to them as they do what they say on the tin. I also like Bobbi Brown and Chanel.

Having said that though, I love MAC brushes as they're good quality and last for years so I'm happy to shell out. I also really like their lipsticks as they have such a broad range of colours and finishes and are a lot more exciting than those that Bobbi Brown sell. I suppose it just depends on what you're looking for. Like others have said, every brand has it's good and bad products.
  • Options
    chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    I am a fan of Mac products especially their brushes, foundation and face and body foundation. When it comes to blushers and eyeshadows and lipys i really like stila products. The pigment is very high and so you only need a little and they are extremely long wearing. I like one or two bobby brown foundations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I agree op the only MAC product that I like is the black kohl eyeliner. I prefer the rimmel liquid eyeliner or one of the other cheap brands. However I have heard great things about MAC foundation and blotting powder so might give that a go soon.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, any one brand will be good for some products, less good for others and what suits one person won't suit another. My makeup and skin care is a hotch potch of different brands according to what I've gound suits me.

However, all the brands of lipstick I've ever tried dry my lips, but I can use MAC Pro Longwear Lipcolour and actually have colour on my lips for the first time in my life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    When it comes to blushers and eyeshadows and lipys i really like stila products. The pigment is very high and so you only need a little and they are extremely long wearing. I like one or two bobby brown foundations.

Where still sells Stila? I haven't seen it for ages.
  • Options
    chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Where still sells Stila? I haven't seen it for ages.

got it in costco.:)