Ideas for upgrade from HTC Wildfire S

nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
Forum Member
My Wildfire S currently on 3 (not network locked) is over a year old. It does what I wanted from it except its limited internal memory is down to <10Mb. I have three app/widgets that have to be in phone memory, and at max a dozen contacts. I deleted several hundred SMS but it's made no difference - as far as I can tell everything that can go to SD is set to, I really don't know what's eating it.

Anyway I've a use for the Wildfire S and alternate SIM, so wondered what anyone would recommend for around £200 that can match it for spec. and not have memory issues.

Essentials;
can take my 3 sim,
Wifi b/g/n, Bluetooth, GPS,
Expandable by microSD,
5Mp camera,
Decent main and graphics processors for flash/video,
Capacitive/multitouch larger display,
Long battery life

Desirables;
Daylight viewing display,
Front camera,

Nonessentials;
FM tuner

Undesirables;
Continuously running social apps. I want to choose to have Yahoo widget active not have facebook friendstream etc hogging resources when I don't even use them.

Any brand recent Android.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Cheap:
    Huawei Ascend G300 - £110 (unlocked)

Mid range:
    Sony Xperia U/Neo V £175
    Huawei Honor £200
    Motorola Defy + £200

High price:
    Samsung galaxy Ace 2- £229

Read a few reviews on these phones. They're pretty good for the price. I would recommend the Honor, Defy or Ace 2.

If you can stretch a bit further you can probably pick up a HTC Sensation/Evo 3D or Samsung Galaxy S Advance/Wonder for the £250ish mark.
  • Harry BoatHarry Boat Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    If you're happy with HTC then the Desire S is worth a look. Bigger and better than the Wildfire S and can be found on Amazon from £215 upwards. It's also due to be upgraded to ICS soon if that's important to you.
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I upgraded from a desire to a desire s a few month ago after having the same internal memory issues. Its great to install more apps but i find it takes the handset longer to boot up in doing so. But yeah the desire s would be a good choice.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Thanks for those. I'll have a look when I'm online properly and see what deals there are on them.
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    My Wildfire S currently on 3 (not network locked) is over a year old. It does what I wanted from it except its limited internal memory is down to <10Mb. I have three app/widgets that have to be in phone memory, and at max a dozen contacts. I deleted several hundred SMS but it's made no difference - as far as I can tell everything that can go to SD is set to, I really don't know what's eating it.
    I upgraded from a desire to a desire s a few month ago after having the same internal memory issues. Its great to install more apps but i find it takes the handset longer to boot up in doing so.
    I've just taken the alternative plunge and rooted the Wildfire S.
    With app Link2SD having root permission, and the SD card partitioned with the recommended 1GB 2nd partition formatted to ext2, the phone can use that partition as if it were internal memory and far more "internal-only" apps can be installed.
    So the need to upgrade is delayed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Huawei Ascend G300 Or Desire S if you can wait a couple of months The desire X looks a nice phone
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get the Desire S. Although its a better phone than the Wildfire S. I find the Desire S can sometimes suffer from signal drop outs. I have had my Desire S about a year now and have only ever been 97% happy with it. Due to signal drop out at times if you are in a very weak signal area.

Darren
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should also take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

It now runs on Android OS 2.3.6 Gingerbread which I have been told on these very forums.

It also has an 800Mhz cpu and a 5mp camera with autofocus and led flash. There is also an FM radio.

The Samsung Galaxy Ace has no flash player support so that will mean you will not be able to use BBC iPlayer.

But as I see it iPhone uses don't have flash support and they manage fine.

And here is the memory.
    Card Slot Micro SD, up to 32GB, 2GB included.
    Internal 158 MB storage, 278 MB RAM.

Some reviews will be from when the Samsung Galaxy Ace was first released when it was running Android OS 2.2.1 Froyo+.

The Three website also states that the Samsung Galaxy Ace runs on Android OS 2.2.1 Froyo+ but Ihave been told on these forums that it now runs on Androids 2.3.6 so Three need to update there website.

And I read on the Internet the GSM Phone Arena review for the Samsung Galaxy Ace and they said that there was an update for the camera which improved the video recording from VGA at 15fps to VGA at 24fps.

Three sell the Samsung Galaxy Ace and they have it on some very good contract deals.

Samsung Galaxy Ace black version on Three
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2428;jsessionid=7BE848E3559DD058DDBBEFB81EB1925E?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY

Samsung Galaxy Ace Purpile version on Three
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2440;jsessionid=7BE848E3559DD058DDBBEFB81EB1925E?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY

And here is a Google search for the Samsung Galaxy Ace.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ThreeSamsung+Galaxy+Ace&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#hl=en&gs_nf=1&pq=threesamsung%20galaxy%20ace&cp=0&gs_id=g&xhr=t&q=Samsung%20Galaxy%20Ace&pf=p&sclient=tablet-gws&client=safari&tbo=d&oq=amsung+Galaxy+Ace&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b72bb3a95b8b2ec2&biw=1024&bih=672&bs=1

I hope that this information helps.

And please tell us what phone you go for.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    TV King wrote: »
    You should also take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

It now runs on Android OS 2.3.6 Gingerbread which I have been told on these very forums.

It also has an 800Mhz cpu and a 5mp camera with autofocus and led flash. There is also an FM radio.

The Samsung Galaxy Ace has no flash player support so that will mean you will not be able to use BBC iPlayer.

But as I see it iPhone uses don't have flash support and they manage fine.

And here is the memory.
    Card Slot Micro SD, up to 32GB, 2GB included.
    Internal 158 MB storage, 278 MB RAM.

Some reviews will be from when the Samsung Galaxy Ace was first released when it was running Android OS 2.2.1 Froyo+.

The Three website also states that the Samsung Galaxy Ace runs on Android OS 2.2.1 Froyo+ but Ihave been told on these forums that it now runs on Androids 2.3.6 so Three need to update there website.

And I read on the Internet the GSM Phone Arena review for the Samsung Galaxy Ace and they said that there was an update for the camera which improved the video recording from VGA at 15fps to VGA at 24fps.

Three sell the Samsung Galaxy Ace and they have it on some very good contract deals.

Samsung Galaxy Ace black version on Three
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2428;jsessionid=7BE848E3559DD058DDBBEFB81EB1925E?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY

Samsung Galaxy Ace Purpile version on Three
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2440;jsessionid=7BE848E3559DD058DDBBEFB81EB1925E?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY

And here is a Google search for the Samsung Galaxy Ace.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ThreeSamsung+Galaxy+Ace&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#hl=en&gs_nf=1&pq=threesamsung%20galaxy%20ace&cp=0&gs_id=g&xhr=t&q=Samsung%20Galaxy%20Ace&pf=p&sclient=tablet-gws&client=safari&tbo=d&oq=amsung+Galaxy+Ace&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=b72bb3a95b8b2ec2&biw=1024&bih=672&bs=1

I hope that this information helps.

And please tell us what phone you go for.

The Galaxy Ace is not an upgrade from the Wildfire S. It's like buying the same phone, but maybe worse?
    Forum Member
    edited 26/03/21 - 07:39 #11
    ...And please tell us what phone you go for.
    Thank you.
    I ended up, continuing to use the Wildfire S as my phone for several more years, alongside first a Hudl tablet then a Hudl2 (getting their internet via the Wildfire S in hotspot mode).
    I've since upgraded with a Redmi Note 4 which was impressive, until the battery life (not user replaceable) got down to about a shift at work (carried a powerbank around with it), and more recently a Redmi Note 9 Pro 6GB/128GB.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Thank you.
    I ended up, continuing to use the Wildfire S as my phone for several more years, alongside first a Hudl tablet then a Hudl2 (getting their internet via the Wildfire S in hotspot mode).
    I've since upgraded with a Redmi Note 4 which was impressive, until the battery life (not user replaceable) got down to about a shift at work (carried a powerbank around with it), and more recently a Redmi Note 9 Pro 6GB/128GB.

What made you think necro-ing a thread from 2012 was a good idea? This must be a record for DS.

It’s 2021 now, FYI...
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Thank you.

What made you think necro-ing a thread from 2012 was a good idea? This must be a record for DS.

It’s 2021 now, FYI...
    It wasn't a record; I'd managed to 'necro' a much older thread previously but my post was deleted and an infraction received - even though my post was on-topic for the thread!.
    However, as I can't post in General Discussion anymore(!) I looked at my list of threads started by me and realised some had been left unresolved, so have provided 'closure' to the respondents.
  • heidthebaheidtheba Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the record....
    The Wildfire S was my first smartphone. I was amazed.

Then replaced it with a Jiayu G4 and laughed .

* I also had a Hudl tablet. I still use its car charger and it almost gives fast charge on my OnePlus 6T. Damn near it.
  • Aaron_McGowanAaron_McGowan Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Thank you.

It’s 2021 now, FYI..

Believe it or not I still have my Galaxy Ace Plus, from around 2012... the original Galaxy Ace (even back then) was not a good phone due to its severely limited internal storage space. I was/am happy that I got the Ace Plus instead of the original Ace.

Nowadays, anything with such an ancient operating system and low specs just isn't going to work. Personally I wouldn't use anything older than Android 5.0, due to app support, so even my old Galaxy S4 (purchased to replace the Ace Plus) isn't used anymore.
  • amg-xamg-x Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Ah the Wildfire S, constantly complained about internal storage space issues
  • Aaron_McGowanAaron_McGowan Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amg-x wrote: »
    Ah the Wildfire S, constantly complained about internal storage space issues

Well the Wildfire S did have a whopping 512MB intermal storage space!

A lot of low end (and some lower midrange) phones back in 2011 and 2012 had terrible amounts of internal storage, thus forcing you to rely on an SD card for anything more than the basics. Over time, with apps increasing in size (especially the core Google apps, with future updates), even this was too much.

Thankfully the vast majority (apart from maybe those who need a basic phone for calls/texts only?) will have moved on from devices from the HSPA and HSDPA era, and any of those devices that are still lying around will likely have almost no app support, batteries (and other parts) that are well past their best, internal NAND storage that will have degraded significantly (from new), and from 2021/2022 (possibly?), no network support when the 3G that they need for calls/texts/data will be switched off in favor of refarming spectrum to 4G and 5G.

Any old devices like these are only really suited as standalone media players - e.g. load an SD card full of MP3 files, shove the SD card into the SD card slot, and use it as an MP3 player/iPod type device. If it has Wi-Fi then you might be able to get Spotify or Tunein working on it (if those apps are even supported). I wouldn't even these devices as standalone cameras, as camera quality back then was pretty bad (e.g. the Wildfire S can only do 5MP photos and 480p videos).