New phone for other half

Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
recently went into a Carphone Warehouse and got my other half a new phone for Christmas. As she has always had my old cast offs it was done under the upgrade scheme as her account shows she hasn't upgraded her phone for yonks.

Thing is, she is currently an O2 customer and the replacement sim I was given was an O2 microsim.

My questions are: she wants to move to Tesco pay as you go. She works for Tescos and get's a staff discount so it works out fine for her. Will the replacement phone be ok for tesco mobile? My understanding is that all phones sold at CW are not network dependant? Secondly, if I want her to keep her old O2 number on a Tesco's PAYG phone is this possible and how should I go about getting it sorted by Christmas?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2 and Tesco SIMs should be compatible even if the phones are locked, as Tesco use O2's network anyway.

edit: Also you can get a MicroSIM adapter for a few pence if you wish to use in a phone that takes normal sized SIMs.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My questions are: she wants to move to Tesco pay as you go. She works for Tescos and get's a staff discount so it works out fine for her. Will the replacement phone be ok for tesco mobile? My understanding is that all phones sold at CW are not network dependant? Secondly, if I want her to keep her old O2 number on a Tesco's PAYG phone is this possible and how should I go about getting it sorted by Christmas?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

The phone will be unlocked so no problem there. To keep the number you need a PAC code from O2 to give to Tesco - they last 28 days. However if the O2 account is in your wifes name they are unlikely to give it to you so you will need her to do it. This may spoil it if you are doing it as a suprise.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IF the phone is locked to O2 then you can't move it to tesco (and vice versa) without unlocked even though O2 provide Tesco network. This also applies to Virgin Media and EE. However as finbarr said, CPW phones are unlocked so that won't be a problem.

As for the PAC code, you should be able to get it if you can answer your security questions and it lasts for 28 days and change over should happen within 48 hours of telling Tesco. But of course her current phone will stop working when you migrate the number. But seeing as she will probably need to set-up the tesco PAYG if she wants to use her staff discount then it won't be much of a surprise. Maybe you can talk to one of her colleagues about the Tesco SIM ?
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, good advice.

She knows she's getting a phone for Christmas, she chose it! Do you know how long it takes O2 to give you a code once you've requested one?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, good advice.

She knows she's getting a phone for Christmas, she chose it! Do you know how long it takes O2 to give you a code once you've requested one?

When I called them for mine, the text message with the PAC arrived whilst I was still on the phone to them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks gob (I'm sure you are not grumpy really)

Which number did you call, can you remember?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks gob (I'm sure you are not grumpy really)

Which number did you call, can you remember?

I rang 2302 from my O2 mobile and then just followed the menus for the "if you are thinking of leaving us" option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, will try over the weekend.

Have a great weekend