What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,484
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Eloise. Judy Finnigan.

I have never known a book to have so many spelling mistakes and even a couple of words missing. Shame on who proof read this...... or didn't.

Now reading Derek Tangye. The Confusion Room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    About to start The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. It's quite a hefty book but has had some very good reviews. Looking forward to it.

I am a big fan of Kate Morton and did enjoy this book:)
  • KitKat21KitKat21 Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappear - Iain Edward Henn. Interesting so far!

Also ordered Wool - Hugh Howey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading Time Riders by Alex Scarrow. Really enjoying it so far, it's a YA novel but as usual I enjoy them as much (if not more!) than 'grown up' books.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Just finished Wonder by R J Palacio....you got to read this one. Can't put it down yet I don't want it to end!

Picking up Afterwards by Lupton again which I'm really struggling to get into.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    I had to study The Great Gatsby for AS English Literature and never thought that I would enjoy reading it again but seeing as there is a film coming out soon I thought it would be a good idea to refresh my memory. I'm enjoying it so far.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Under the Dome - Stephen King
    Rather glad I finished this, as I became more desperate and drepressed as the story progressed.
    I was sucked intto the story and since then, I haven't been able to thinnk about anything else
    Riveting story telling, likeable good guys, violent bad guys and a whole lot of shooting going on.
    Now it's out of my system, I'm going to read something light and undemanding.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Just finished Dark Matter by Michelle Paver.

Extremely well-written and very evocative of its arctic setting, though as a ghost story it did feel a little anti-climactic. Perhaps it would've worked better as short story (there's a strong element of M.R. James about it), but overall as a few nights spooky entertainment it works well enough.

Now onto something a bit weightier which has been staring at me from the bookcase for ages: The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am reading Between A Mother and Her Child - Elizabeth Noble. It's not bad so far.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazysusan wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Kate Morton and did enjoy this book:)

Yes she writes beautifully although I sometimes wish she'd get to the point a bit sooner! Good story though.

Reddybook wrote: »
    Under the Dome - Stephen King
    Rather glad I finished this, as I became more desperate and drepressed as the story progressed.
    I was sucked intto the story and since then, I haven't been able to thinnk about anything else
    Riveting story telling, likeable good guys, violent bad guys and a whole lot of shooting going on.
    Now it's out of my system, I'm going to read something light and undemanding.

One of the few books I'd consider reading again. Simply brilliant (and you're right, you do get completely drawn in and the characters become real).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Has anyone read Skallagrig by William Horwood? I read it years ago and have read a whole forrest load of books since, but have never forgotten it.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Has anyone read Skallagrig by William Horwood? I read it years ago and have read a whole forrest load of books since, but have never forgotten it.
    Not read the book but have been meaning to.

I saw the BBC television film made of it in the mid-nineties and thought that was very good indeed, so I've often wondered how they compare.
  • Purple85Purple85 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    The Trap by Kimberley Chambers. Really look forward to her books coming out and this one isn't disappointing me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hollywood Book of Death by James Parrish
    A collection of very short biographies of various Hollywood stars and the manner of their passing.
    Not as ghoulish as it sounds - honest!
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere, probably on here, that Seven Pillars of Wisdom was a difficult read.... so I thought I'd have a go.

Throw myself in at the deep end :rolleyes:
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished The Mystery of Mercy Close, Marian Keyes, brilliant book as all hers hae been

Just started My Mad Fat Diary ( have been watching the tv show) and its an enjoyable read so far
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Wait For Me - Elizabeth Naughton
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently reading Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion after reading some positive reviews on Goodreads and thought I'd check it out. Zombies aren't really my thing but the synopsis sounded a little different from the average brain munching stuff around, so hopefully it'll be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I've just finished No Child of Mine by Susan Lewis and found it really gripping. Just one minor gripe tho - the character of Alex was just too good to be true. She didn't appear to have any faults! But it was a darn good read anyhow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished Wonder by R J Palacio....you got to read this one. Can't put it down yet I don't want it to end!

Picking up Afterwards by Lupton again which I'm really struggling to get into.
    Afterwards was another one I gave up on,it had some great reviews but I couldnt get into it at all.
  • mulderfanmulderfan Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Close to the bone by Stuart MacBride-very good
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Can You Forgive Her ? .. The first of Trollope's Palliser novels .. I've read a couple in the series before .. they are not as accessible as the Barsetshire Chronicles .. but if you like a bit of 19th century political intrigue they'r great. This tale is a but strung out to be honest .. but there's wonderful characters such as Chessacre and Bellfield to lighten the mood!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Peter James's "Not Dead Yet". Yet another satisfying outing for DS Roy Grace, Brighton's busiest detective .. This time dealing with a victim chopped to bits and a Hollywood diva returning to her home town for filming .. and who is the blonde woman with a German speaking kid who seems to be keeping her beady eyes on Grace and Chloe ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished William Golding's Lord of the Flies .. Didn't like it . Can see why its seen amongst the classics .. but get me off the island .. NOW !
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "The Spiritual Brain" by Mario Beauregard & Denyse O'Leary, subtitled "A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul".