What does Alan Hansen do for his money from the BBC?

redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can never seem to manage saturday and sunday match of the days in the same week.

So apart from 90 minutes on MOTD what else do Hansen do on the BBC?

Comments

• mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Can never seem to manage saturday and sunday match of the days in the same week.

So apart from 90 minutes on MOTD what else do Hansen do on the BBC?

Well, not sure of his exact schedule, but i popped into TVC a few years ago and he was there all day wathing the feeds and making notes, and then sitting in with the highlight editor and getting him to pick out the exact footage he wanted to discuss on the show.

Don't get me wrong, i think he gets paid too much (then again he's not the highest paid pundit on TV) - but he isn't just there for 90 minutes.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Well, not sure of his exact schedule, but i popped into TVC a few years ago and he was there all day wathing the feeds and making notes, and then sitting in with the highlight editor and getting him to pick out the exact footage he wanted to discuss on the show.

Don't get me wrong, i think he gets paid too much (then again he's not the highest paid pundit on TV) - but he isn't just there for 90 minutes.

So say he is there 9 hours on a Saturday or Sunday then.

Do he do out else, does he ever pop up on 5/live or BBC Scotland?
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whatever they are paying him I'll vote they double it to make him stay away.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

9 0r 10, there or there abouts.

Sometimes he might do one of the extra MOTD's that go out midweek.

I'm sorry, i don't know the rest of his schedule. He's done the odd documentary, writes for the BBC website and the Telegraph and does some motivational speaking if that's any help.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He says "shocking defending" quite a lot.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is, of course, a myth that the BBC has to pay him large sums of money to retain his services. There are literally dozens of former players who could do a better job at a lower price but for some reason the BBC goes on believing this sort of nonsense.Personally I have difficulty in understanding what he is saying on occasions because of his accent.
  • Steve_MiddllingSteve_Middlling Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »

I am not sure anybody really thought he did only 90 minutes.

just glad there is always bbc staff available to correct what the public think.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It is, of course, a myth that the BBC has to pay him large sums of money to retain his services. There are literally dozens of former players who could do a better job at a lower price but for some reason the BBC goes on believing this sort of nonsense.Personally I have difficulty in understanding what he is saying on occasions because of his accent.

If any of them proved to be any good they would soon be poached by other broadcasters able to offer more money, and so you would have the perpetual situation where people on the BBC would be less good except for someone who's coming up through the ranks, and as soon as they look like becoming any sort of asset to the BBC they'd suddenly be offered more money to go elsewhere. This cycle would continue indefinitely, and is exactly the situation the BBC's rivals and critics would love to see as it would lead to a public perception of their programmes being inferior.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure his hourly rate must be a fraction of what footballers get for their 90 minutes work a week.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are we expecting him to do for his money then?

A few weather forecasts here and there, a bit of judging on SCD?
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He lives in Southport. I'm sure he does other things.
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure anybody really thought he did only 90 minutes.

just glad there is always bbc staff available to correct what the public think.
    The OP seemed to think Hansen was only there for 90 minutes. I assume what you meant to say then is that you're glad there's always someone available to correct other people's mistakes?
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    He lives in Southport. I'm sure he does other things.

Bakes cakes for the local WI on Wednesdays.
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically he manages a days work a week for his huge salary?

Also in non world cup or euro years he get the entire off season off work:D
  • livininadavelivininadave Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    don't forget that out of those 90 minutes, at least an hour (if not more) is sat watching the highlights!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The BBC wants top staff, so it pays top dollar. I bet if he left and they replaced him with a nobody, half the audience would be upset that it was somebody they'd never heard of.

You cannot expect world class broadcasting for a small budget. Lots of staff do take a pay cut to work for the BBC. But you have to be realistic, if you want professionals you're going to have to pay for it.

Amazing how many people want top class broadcasting, but don't want to pay for it...
  • halewoodhalewood Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC wants top staff, so it pays top dollar. I bet if he left and they replaced him with a nobody, half the audience would be upset that it was somebody they'd never heard of.

You cannot expect world class broadcasting for a small budget. Lots of staff do take a pay cut to work for the BBC. But you have to be realistic, if you want professionals you're going to have to pay for it.

Amazing how many people want top class broadcasting, but don't want to pay for it...

As if they would replace him with a 'nobody' - your talking a pile of shite ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    halewood wrote: »
    As if they would replace him with a 'nobody' - your talking a pile of shite ...

I never said it would happen. I said if it were to happen the audience would still be upset...
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since its the people who fund the BBC why dont they stop lining the pockets of millionaires like Hanson and let guest fans have their say for a few minutes between games. Its should be a priority measure by BBC to keep costs low not throw money around like connfetti on nonsense.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Personally I have difficulty in understanding what he is saying on occasions because of his accent.

Dear God:rolleyes:
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Hansen makes over £1m a year and is imo overpaid for a publicly funded broadcaster. I find it hard to justify that salary for someone who is not at the top of his profession. Surely the BBC can find better pundits for less than half that salary.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC wants top staff, so it pays top dollar.

I'm struggling to find any way that Alan Hansen could be described as 'top' at anything. He hasn't played football at any level for 20 years. He's never managed. Any detailed knowledge of football he ever had would now be utterly outdated. Seriously, you think Alan Hansen can say anything insightful and new about Barcelona, who play a form of football that didn't even exist (and actually couldn't exist, due to requiring rules amendments that have happened since he retired) when Hansen was on the pitch? That he knows anything about how footballers now prepare for games, which has been revolutionised by the like of Prozone? That he understands how managers have to manage players who are paid more per week than he made in a year at his playing peak?

Alan Hansen is a pundit purely and simply because he was a pundit and the MoTD producers are too utterly bereft of inspiration and backbone to get rid of him. There have been other more recently experienced defenders recruited by rival broadcasters - Gary Neville at Sky and Lee Dixon, who was poached by ITV presumably at least partly because he didn't see any reason to play second fiddle to likes of Hansen and Lawrenson - who have shown exactly how utterly bereft Hansen has long been.

Hansen is a dinosaur who offers nothing. The idea that because the BBC pay him a lot of money therefore he has to be good at his job is so incorrect as to be genuinely humorous.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact Hansen is so poorly paid by the BBC he has to supplement his income by writing columns for the Daily Telegraph.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    In fact Hansen is so poorly paid by the BBC he has to supplement his income by writing columns for the Daily Telegraph.

Don't you mean ghost writing!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find any way that Alan Hansen could be described as 'top' at anything. He hasn't played football at any level for 20 years. He's never managed. Any detailed knowledge of football he ever had would now be utterly outdated.

Sacrilege! Who was first to realise that "you can't win anything with kids"? Hansen, that's who!

Oh...