Bbc 2 Hd

ocavocav Posts: 2,341
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With BBC Two HD launching in a week, it's about time for a thread.

What would you like to see happen to BBC Three/Four and CBBC/Cbeebies content that currently airs on BBC HD?

If you are with Virgin would you like to see it move lower down in the listings nearer BBC One HD rather than at the back of the EPG?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS FMs have been rehearsing some ideas over on forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1548372 on your first point.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »

What would you like to see happen to BBC Three/Four and CBBC/Cbeebies content that currently airs on BBC HD?

If you are with Virgin would you like to see it move lower down in the listings nearer BBC One HD rather than at the back of the EPG?

Are you aware just how little content from the channels mentioned actually appears on BBC HD at the moment?

There is only one answer for me. The BBC need to launch HD simulcasts of those channels and BBC News asap. To go on Sky, freesat and Virgin etc from the off and Freeview as soon as capacity is available.

On the final point but applying it to Sky I would like to see the HD versions of BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 at 201 to 205 on the epg if they can't or won't be part of the HD swap. That would make them much easier to find and switch between. Very similar to what Freeview has done with its HD channels.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taking about where it is on the epg listing for thouse of us in england it might as well go at 2/102 like for those in Wales, Scotland, NI their BBC 1 HD vairiant might as well be at the 1/101 slot. I am of course talking about those with a HD capable recever as an SD only recever should just continue with the curret sd channels in those positions. This would bring a general move in the HD world to having HD only PSB at the normal place you expect to find the channel! It would get many more people watching HD by default! And if channels 4 and 5 were brave enough to disscuss with Offcom and the advertisers about dropping regional adverts the too would be able to put their HD channels at 4/104 and 5/105 then BBC and ITV regional variations would eventualy have to move to keep in line.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally OT here, but a valid observation none the less.

Given that Virgin Media's HD services are MPEG2 coded, and that the flexibility exists for service insertion/deletion at local head-ends. Why do the HD versions of BBC1 and ITV not contain up-scaled versions of the regional programmes?

I'm not suggesting that this is trivial, MPEG splicing is inherently un-clean. But given the co-operation of the bradcaster with active signalling and a few blank GOPs, it is not outside the bounds of feasibility that D-CABLE could offer opt-outs in (sort-of) HD!
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,926
    Forum Member
    The TV listings guides show that from Tuesday next on Sky BBC One HD will move to 141 and BBC Two HD will be on 142.

Better than 143 and 169.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    143 for Sky will be BBC Alba, according to Radio Times.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What channels are in those EPG slots now?
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Nothing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finaly they are starting to get some order they now need ITV'1' HD,C4 and C5 in 143, 144, 145 and bbc alba on 169 as its seperate or anywhere but those 5 as the 5 main PSBs can be together then! Realisticly they should have them at 111-115 and the sky channels should be moved to the next page down and BBC 3/4 on 106 and 107 and ITV2/3/4 (HD) on 108, 109, 110. The other C4 channels on 116-121 and the othe C5 channels on 122-125 and their HD/SD swapouts at 126-130, then skys stuff after that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh and something similar on virgin/freesat and even freeview and any other platform with a regulated/semi-regulated epg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should ITV HD, Channel 4 HD and Channel 5 HD be together? Surely ITV HD, ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD should be together, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Why should ITV HD, Channel 4 HD and Channel 5 HD be together? Surely ITV HD, ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD should be together, etc.

it mirrors the first 5 PSB channels on 1,2,3,4 and 5 or 101, 102, 103, 104 and 105 would anyone want to break with that tradition and say have all BBCs channels together at 1-11 and 101-111 and then ITVs at 12-24 and 112-124, C4s at 25-39 and 125-139 and C5s at 40-48 and 140-148. My idea is to keep the main 5PSBs together wether SD or HD!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh and the psbs in sd or hd I think should be listed before any sky or non psb channels
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What channels are in those EPG slots now?
    Current Sky EPG is-

141 BBC1 Northern Ireland (for viewers in the ROI)
    142 BBC2 Northern Ireland (for viewers in the ROI)
    143 BBC One HD
    168 BBC Alba
    169 BBC HD (soon to be BBC Two HD)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    oh and the psbs in sd or hd I think should be listed before any sky or non psb channels

Sky wouldn't like that since there are, what, 11 PSB channels? Even if you only include entertainment PSB channels, BBC Three and BBC Four would have to come before Sky1, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky wouldn't like that since there are, what, 11 PSB channels? Even if you only include entertainment PSB channels, BBC Three and BBC Four would have to come before Sky1, etc.

and why not? It would make things the same on all platforms and then also having the 5main psbs in hd together and before sky channels too (I know ITV HD, C4 HD and C5 HD are not currently PSBs but they should be) it would mean that people would watch the HD channels as they would find them quickly!
  • mbsnrmbsnr Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Current Sky EPG is-

141 BBC1 Northern Ireland (for viewers in the ROI)
    142 BBC2 Northern Ireland (for viewers in the ROI)
    143 BBC One HD
    168 BBC Alba
    169 BBC HD (soon to be BBC Two HD)

Actually for ROI it's;
    141 BBC1 Northern Ireland
    142 BBC2 Northern Ireland
    143 BBC HD
    215 BBC 1 HD (London)
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange how they gave ROI customers BBC 1 London HD and not BBC 1 NI HD...
  • mbsnrmbsnr Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Strange how they gave ROI customers BBC 1 London HD and not BBC 1 NI HD...

Yeah they didn't change it for SD only subs - (just doubled checked as I wondered if they'd changed it since - they haven't)

This Fri @ 11pm
    141 NI BBC1 - International Match of the Day
    215 BBC 1 HD - Matt Lucas Awards

I believe it's on 215 for those with a HD sub.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

bbc 2 hd in a week about time
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another one??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »

I checked this out and used the comments section to give them some ideas and feedback
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Another one??

Indeed. Fed up with this now, just want the change to happen so we can get on to complaining about the lack of BBC Three & Four HD.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem here as I use a HTPC set up.

All channels go where I put them and get called anything I want to call them. They don't have numbers, just positions on a list that I can edit and change at will.

BBC1HD replaced BBC1SD in the first position a long time ago on my set up and the SD version is relegated to section at the very bottom. BBC2SD will be joining it next week as I move BBCHD into its second slot and rename it.