Is there a product similar to digiguide for Mac

KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
Forum Member
Is there a product similar to digiguide for Mac ?

I will have to renew my pc when XP ceases to be supported April 2014. Windows 8 is an absolute nightmare, so I am going to buy a Mac. Only thing is, Digiguide is not available for Mac. Is there a similar product for Mac?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another person, making proclamations on a product they haven't used.:rolleyes:
  • KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Yet another person, making proclamations on a product they haven't used.:rolleyes:

Wrong....i have used it. Tried it almost non-stop for 2 days on my neighbour's machine.

Absolute nightmare
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None that I'm aware of but, then, i just use the Radio Times website and an app called TV Guide on Android/iOS.

XP won't suddenly stop working in 2014, though, and a fair few manufacturers still install Win7 as an option. But if you're seeing this as an ideal reason to just get a Mac and DigiGuide is that important to you then look into BootCamp.
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    None that I'm aware of but, then, i just use the Radio Times website and an app called TV Guide on Android/iOS.

XP won't suddenly stop working in 2014, though, and a fair few manufacturers still install Win7 as an option. But if you're seeing this as an ideal reason to just get a Mac and DigiGuide is that important to you then look into BootCamp.

Thanks for that
  • moongravymoongravy Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    TV-Browser. Not as good as Digiguide, but it is free.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.tvguide.co.uk
    You can set it for the channels you receive
    To do that, just register for free
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    www.tvguide.co.uk
    You can set it for the channels you receive
    To do that, just register for free

Ah, that's the app I mentioned. I'd never been on their website before. No registration required on their apps.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I just use the Digiguide web interface from my Mac. What is it that the app does that the website doesn't?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, if they have the money, lots of it, and don't mind that _everything_ will be different not just the start screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Well, if they have the money, lots of it, and don't mind that _everything_ will be different not just the start screen.

Probably didn't even discover the desktop tile.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Koala wrote: »

I will have to renew my pc when XP ceases to be supported April 2014. Windows 8 is an absolute nightmare, so I am going to buy a Mac. Only thing is, Digiguide is not available for Mac. Is there a similar product for Mac?

Have you used a Mac before?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong....i have used it. Tried it almost non-stop for 2 days on my neighbour's machine.

Absolute nightmare

Wow, 2days versus years of using xp, plenty of time to make youre mind up!
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Have you used a Mac before?

No...I haven't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...I haven't

The jump to OSX with no experience might be a tad more jarring than what you've experienced with Win8, then... Might be worth hitting an Apple Store and having a go...
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I would suggest to go and try one for a few hours at least in an Apple Shop. They are easy enough to use, but do take some getting used to like all new OS's.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are certain you don't want Windows 8 then you can still buy Windows 7 DVD's and upgrade your existing PC.

Do spend some time researching replacements for your Windows programs before you commit to OS X - a lot of common Windows programs are not available on OS X (or look very different).
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your issues with W8 isn't just your justification to yourself why to get a mac, I would seriously consider if you really dislike the W8 so much and if yes what options you have to make it more W7-like. Because parting ways with Windows for Mac means high costs and having to find (and probably fail) mac equivalents of all programmes you currently use and want to keep using. That's a lot of troubles for, IMO, nothing.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally disagree that its a nightmare but... why not buy a PC and put Windows 7 on it? Or use 8 and put the free 'start button' software on it.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't deal with Windows 8, then certainly don't jump to Mac OS X if you've never used it. Or, do it, just don't come here for advice.

Tvguide.co.uk is an excellent site, and it has an app for iOS, Andriod and Windows Phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    If you can't deal with Windows 8, then certainly don't jump to Mac OS X if you've never used it. Or, do it, just don't come here for advice.

Tvguide.co.uk is an excellent site, and it has an app for iOS, Andriod and Windows Phone.

I would happy to help Koala with the transition to OS X if needed and I'm sure there are plenty of other forum users also willing to help.

If you have used an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch then you are going to find OS X visually pretty similar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would happy to help Koala with the transition to OS X if needed and I'm sure there are plenty of other forum users also willing to help.

If you have used an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch then you are going to find OS X visually pretty similar.

How is OS X similar to iOS on a UI front?

One is full-screen apps versus windows.
    One has a grid of icons versus a dock.
    One has a "settings app", the other has a permanent toolbar.

If you said gestures then maybe.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member

Although Launchpad, if you use it, is taken directly from iOS.

And Mountain Lion is also moving heavily towards encouraging full-screen use, with every application having a full screen button (which also occludes the menu bar at the top and the dock at the bottom).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One has a "settings app", the other has a permanent toolbar.

If you said gestures then maybe.

When I'm use OS X I tend to use the programs in the full screen mode.

I keep plenty of icons on the desktop with my favourite programs on the dock.

The dock in iOS looks the same as the OS X dock, it even has some of the same icons on it by default.

The notification bar in ML is exactly the same design as the one in iOS.

Although I personally don't use Launchpad it is modelled on iOS.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Although I far prefer Macs to Windows machines, I use a PC at work and must say Windows 7 is half-decent. Still around the houses in many ways when you want to sort something out, but an advance on XP. So you don't have to go all the way to Windows 8.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    If you are certain you don't want Windows 8 then you can still buy Windows 7 DVD's and upgrade your existing PC.

Where can you get the Windows 7 DVDs though? I've been looking for them and can't get them anywhere. I even tried an independent computer store and they said they didn't have them.