Best/Worst BBC Football Presenter/Pundit

MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
Forum Member
Who for you is the worst?

I find Robbie Savage, Collin Murray, Mark Bright and that Steve Claridge extremely woeful.

My favourites are Chappers, Clemmie, Garth Crooks and Leroy Rosenior.

Comments

• Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Murray and Savage. Clem and Rosenior are decent.

Murray and Savage give discomfort to the likes of Hansen, Lawrenson and Crooks, which is only a good thing.

Hopefully Pat Nevin will become more of a regular next season and we don't see the likes of Jason Roberts, Dion Dublin and Michael Owen anymore.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    MrWoodySir wrote: »

I find Robbie Savage, Collin Murray, Mark Bright and that Steve Claridge extremely woeful.

Out of those choices I like Clem just because he hosts the NE version of Late Kick Off and I don't mind Murray. I prefer him over Chappers.
    Crooks is terrible. One of the worst question askers in the game.
  • simes188simes188 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Michael Owen has hung up his football boots so he may be be a pundit next season unless he goes into management.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    I like Jimmy Armfield on radio 5live. Can't stand Danny Mills, a typically brash, cockney cliche merchant.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EDIT ... Just realised this was only for the BBC :o ... but for its worth I hate Mark Lawrenson with a passion :)
  • redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat Nevin is by far and away the best pundit the BBC has

Garth Crooks is the worst and only there to fill quotas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I'd say the worst is Shearer. He's dismal - offers no insight whatsoever.
  • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simes188 wrote: »
    Michael Owen has hung up his football boots so he may be be a pundit next season unless he goes into management.

Owen is going to be co-commentator for BT next season. He may still appear on the BBC if he is freelance like Keown and Savage who were on both BBC and ESPN this season but it seems unlikely.
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I'm quite impressed with Robbie Savage as a pundit. Alan green is the worse commentator, without a doubt.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    danny mills did some summeries for BBC radio at the last world cup i thought he was very good not heard him since
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mrblank wrote: »
    danny mills did some summeries for BBC radio at the last world cup i thought he was very good not heard him since
    He's a regular on Late Kick Off NE&E. Probably because of his Boro connection.
  • tvphiltvphil Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrWoodySir wrote: »

II actually really like Mark Bright - but perhaps I am biased as am a Palace fan!

Steve Claridge just gets on my nerves.

Jonathan Pearce is my favourite as both a commentator and for interviews etc. I think he would make a very good presenter for something like MOTD2 or Late Kickoff.
    He is a very versatile and knowledgeable guy – for instance before he joined the BBC, on Capital Gold he would be able to present an entire afternoon/evening of football - sometimes for up to 5 hours including the previews, live commentary, scores from other games and the phone-in afterwards.

I still like Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson. Chappers is OK too.

Lee Dixon is good, shame he went to ITV.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat Nevin is by far and away the best pundit the BBC has

Garth Crooks is the worst and only there to fill quotas

Oh yeah? And what about Mark Bright and Dion Dublin? And next season Final Score will be hosted by a mixed-race Welshman (Jason Mohammad).

Sorry, but the "fill quotas" comment is pathetic.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah? And what about Mark Bright and Dion Dublin? And next season Final Score will be hosted by a mixed-race Welshman (Jason Mohammad).

Sorry, but the "fill quotas" comment is pathetic.

Or could it just be natural that there's a wide variety of races in the game these days, and more of them have moved into the media after their playing careers have finished?
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    I like Jimmy Armfield on radio 5live. Can't stand Danny Mills, a typically brash, cockney cliche merchant.

Danny Mills is not a cockney - he's from Norwich.
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best commentator - Jonathan Pearce/Darren Fletcher
    Best pundit - Pat Nevin/Jimmy Armfield/Graham Taylor/Alan Hansen
    Best presenter - Mark Chapman/Mark Pougatch

Worst commentator - Alan Green
    Worst pundit - Mark Bright/Garth Crooks/David Pleat/Mark Lawrenson
    Worst presenter - Colin Murray
    Forum Member
    Best pundit - Pat Nevin, Jimmy Armfield
    Best presenter - Mark Chapman

Worst commentator - Alan Green, Alan Green, Alan Green
    Worst pundit - Mark Bright, Garth Crooks, Mark Bright
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can I say this about Nevin, how can I express my utter contempt for that man, without getting myself into trouble.

Perhaps I can't, perhaps I better not say anything other than I do not have any time, what so ever, for him.

Other than that, I do like Chapman, and I know he may be a national treasure in England, but Motson just annoys me, but no in the same way as Nevin does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Worst commentator by a country mile is Jonathan bloody Pierce. I switch over if he's on.

Worst presenter - Gabby Logan

Worst pundit - Crooks. The man can't string a single coherent sentence together. If he lost some weight he might be able to finish a sentence without having to take 18 breaths.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute worst - Alan Hansen.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC:

Best presenter - I really like Mark Chapman, although I think many of the BBC's presenters are decent
    Best pundit - Jimmy Armfield on radio: none of the regular TV guys really impress me, though I did enjoy watching Klinsmann, Vialli and O'Neill and past major tournaments
    Best commentator - Steve Wilson for TV, John Murray for radio

BBC:
    Worst presenter - I find Manish pretty bland
    Worst pundit - Mark Bright is pretty awful; Garth Crooks isn't much better
    Worst commentator - I'm not a great fan of Ali Bruce-Ball on 5 Live. I think the others are considerably ahead of him.

For non-BBC:
    Best presenter - Jeff Stelling
    Best pundit - Easily Gary Neville
    Best commentator - Martin Tyler

Worst presenter - Ben Shephard
    Worst pundit - I think it would have to be Andy Townsend (unless David Platt returns!) Niall Quinn and Jamie Redknapp also irritate me.
    Worst commentator - Probably Tony Jones out of the oens I hear reasonably regularly.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best commentator - John Murray (Jonathan Pearce for TV)
    Best pundit - Pat Nevin (overall they're a poor bunch in my view)
    Best presenter - Colin Murray

Worst commentator - n/a (no poor ones coming to mind!)
    Worst pundit - Mark Bright (closely followed by half a dozen others)
    Worst presenter - Manish

I'd actually say that the BBC's range of commentators and presenters is up there with anyone. But their pundits / co-comms leave a lot to be desired.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    the TV guys are to a man awful.

i generally enjoy the radio commentary though i couldn't tell you any of their names.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me...

BBC:

Best presenter - tie between Manish Bhasin and Jason Mohammad
    Best pundit - Leroy Rosenior with a special mention of occasional pundit John Hartson
    Best commentator - John Roder

Non-BBC:

Best presenter - Matt Smith
    Best pundit - Gareth Southgate of the free-to-air regulars, I enjoyed Roberto Martinez and Jamie Carragher's work at Euro 2012 too
    Best commentator - Jim Proudfoot
    Best co-commentator - Jim Beglin plus special mention for Alvin Martin on the radio

Worst BBC:

Worst presenter - tie between Colin Murray and Mark Chapman
    Worst pundit - Alan Hansen
    Worst commentator - Steve Wilson with a special mention for Alan Green on the radio
    Worst co-commentator - tie between Mark Lawrenson and Robbie Savage

I don't have that many strong dislikes outside of the BBC, although Craig Burley does my head in. I only really watch football on free-to-air television hence the absence of mentions of Sky Sports staff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Hmmm - I'm going to chuck in some thoughts from Scotland here too.

Best presenter - Richard Gordon (on Radio Scotland) - good sense of humour and is a Dons fan so both sides of the Old Firm dislike him!
    Best commentator - I'd go for Jonathan Pierce. Much under-used by the BBC - he'd be better back as the main 5 Live commentator, replacing Green & the other bloke.
    Best pundit - Pat Nevin can talk intelligently about football, but for me it's Allan Preston (Biscuits) on Radio Scotland. Talks mince a lot of the time, but it's usually funny mince!

Worst commentator - I'm not a fan of Liam Macleod as a commentator, as I find his voice to be too high-pitched for commentary. He is a good reporter and presenter though.
    Worst presenter - Gary Lineker in his first season as MOTD presenter. You just have to watch this to see what I mean...
    Worst pundit - can't immediately think of one.